Ventile Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is £110 too much?

• Total voters

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I've seen a poncho somewhere on the net, that has a one side of a zip sewn in close to the inside back egde.

The idea being you can zip in an extra panel on the end so when carrying a large pack you'll still get enough cover.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks to Lawrence we have some initial prototype pictures back.

poncho12.jpg

poncho11.jpg

poncho10.jpg

poncho9.jpg

poncho6.jpg

poncho5.jpg

poncho4.jpg

poncho1.jpg

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Looks good so far, but way too short.
Up front it should reach below the knees to give a t least 5" of overlap with long gaitors. In the rear even with a small bag the poncho wouldnt reach over the a**e.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

Ahh yes, the final resting place of the bushcrafter. Laid out on a pyre under his trusty tarp for the last time, sent off to Valhalla with all of his possessions (hang on, i think I've got me burials mixed up here!) ready to traipse about in the afterlife looking for two decent trees to hang his tarp off of!

:D
Seriously though, I like the corner tapes. Much better than eyes/grommets.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Ahh yes, the final resting place of the bushcrafter. Laid out on a pyre under his trusty tarp for the last time, sent off to Valhalla with all of his possessions (hang on, i think I've got me burials mixed up here!) ready to traipse about in the afterlife looking for two decent trees to hang his tarp off of!

:D
Seriously though, I like the corner tapes. Much better than eyes/grommets.

My eyesight is failing me but I think the cord is not fixed to tapes but tied around the material. I think Lawrence has picked up on this already though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My eyesight is failing me but I think the cord is not fixed to tapes but tied around the material. I think Lawrence has picked up on this already though.

The ones in the corner, meant. It may look a bit more streamlined if the tapes draw level with the corner of the fabric, from underneath. You don't have this huge loop dangling out when you wear it then. The same could be done with ridge loops.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I don't get why Ventile is so expensive. All it is is a cotton weave. Yard for yard it has to be the most expensive material in the world (after spider silk, maybe).

Yes it is expensive but it has some pretty special qualities. I was instantly converted to it the very first time I used it in anger. There was no contest. And garments made from it are really not much expensive than some of the mid-high end fancy techno jackets/coats are made from multi-layered stretchy, bendy, melty, sweaty, breaky, smelly petro-laminates.

I know what you mean though....it is mind-bogglingly expensive...

BushVen

Life Member
The poncho has no centre tapes, this is a point that I highlighted in my report. I like the idea of having the tapes underneath, as suggested by wayland.

How much extra material would you like and where ? maybe 6" rear and 4" front ? The person in the foto is 5' 9" tall.

Can you give me your views ?

I shall be passing some more fotos to littlebiglane, these may help.

I can pop into Hilltrek today (tuesday) or tommorrow to talk to them about modifications or wait until the weekend, this will give you some time to have a good old think.

Ventile is made of the best quality Egyptian cotton, approx only 9% is suitable, most of this is used for the miltary and emergency services. Also the material has a tighter weave than your average cotton material, this means more thread is required. All of this keeps the price high.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Good stuff there, would agree that it may be a bit short both for a tarp and a poncho. Any chance you could get a photo of it pitched on the diagonal?

Cheers

JFW

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Oooooh I am getting seriously excited about this project now :D

To think....a BCUK members designed Ventile Poncho. A real show of what we can do putting our heads together, having several hands-on members (BushVen) and a have-a-try manufacturer.

To everyone who has inputed into the design so far....:You_Rock_

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm liking these ideas that get made. the Nimblewill that Scoops had designed that was later made by Woodland Edge, the underblankets made by Snugpak and emboidered with the BcUK logo that was all designed by Ian, and now this!

A small patch so that a badge could be placed on without sewing through the tarp would be good. Then there would be a place for folk to sew their BcUK badges on! This wouldn't need to be Ventile though.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I don't get why Ventile is so expensive. All it is is a cotton weave. Yard for yard it has to be the most expensive material in the world (after spider silk, maybe).

The weave is very tight, therefore there's a lot more yarn in Ventile.
It's also made from the best quailty cotton, not just any cheap stuff.

Also, it's a trademarked brand, there's only 2 companies that produce it - Talbot weaving int he UK and Stoz of Switzerland (under the brand name 'etaproof') . So there's something of a monopoly.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
:D AGREED as said before I'm desperately saving.........

I will see what the score is from BushVen and Hilltrek as to where we are at with the modifications proposed and the timeline for this. Ideally I would like to get the next iteration (after BushVen is happy with it) out to Wayland to test. Then, if he is happy with it and posted his report on it, we can start taking orders and see what the production time is for for it.

LBL

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I will see what the score is from BushVen and Hilltrek as to where we are at with the modifications proposed and the timeline for this. Ideally I would like to get the next iteration (after BushVen is happy with it) out to Wayland to test. Then, if he is happy with it and posted his report on it, we can start taking orders and see what the production time is for for it.

LBL
Don't rush it will take me months to save up :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE