Ventile as Sole Waterproof?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Ventile Alone or with help?

  • Just Ventile

    Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Ventile and a 'shell' layer (inner or outer)

    Votes: 27 47.4%

  • Total voters
    57

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
930
4
Norfolk
A straw poll please. I have just finished making myself a lovely posh-cotton anorak and trousers suit and will be taking it away for a 5 day trip in Scotland next week.

I have tried it out in the recent showers and stayed perfectly dry, but expect to get a little damp in a sustained downpour - which I don't much mind.

The question is, do YOU routinely carry another waterproof shell to supplement the ventile on an overnighter?
 
Personally I don't wear ventile but recently I was on a course was with somebody who did. He wore it as his only waterproof shell layer and had no complaints at all.
 
I used a ventile smock (and trousers) for most of my service years but did usually have a goretex 'in reserve' for when the heavens really opened up! Nowadays, I usually get under cover if it really tips down and only use the goretex over the top if the temperature drops too! The joys of being able to choose what you do and when!
 
I use a ventile jacket on its own most of the time, however, if out for an extended period I like to take a ripstop US Army poncho as back up ( as stated above for when its lashing it down or when I'm exposed on moorland etc )

Shaun
 
Depends on whats on stake. If I'm up in mountains and have no posibility to dry up I would never ever rely on ventile alone. Wet and miserable in windy and cold conditions? No thanks! In midwinter when the chance for rain is slim to none I find it superior.

If I'm in the forest I can pretty much use whatever, if I get wet I can make a fire and get warm and dry.
 
If I'm taking Ventile, I don't carry a spare waterproof. If I think I'm going to need something more waterproof than Ventile, I don't take it. One outer jacket is enough - mid-layers are where I carry spares and alternatives.
 
Likewise. If weather predictions allow I use a goretex jacket when it's lashing down in an area where there's no cover and a ventile jacket everywhere else.

I do keep meaning to try a poncho though.
 
I quite fancy haing a ventile top layer for cycling and lowland travels, but in the mountains, unless I was sure it would be cold, I'd use paramo. Likewise if their was going to be heavy rain.
 
I use my Ventile jacket nearly all the time, if i'm going to be out in extended periods of adverse weather in exposed conditions I'll likely have a waterproof, this is a paramo or a poncho. If i'm somewhere that I've got some shelter, or can put some up, in woodland etc I'd nearly always just have the ventile only.

It's a great fabric and even with Ventile you can get what you need through good design, some do use it for all needs and it does well.

wait till John Fenna sees this thread :D
 
Ah - it seems I have a rep for liking Ventile.....:D
Mostly I use it on its own and it copes more than well BUT if I am going multi day in real foul weather I will usually take a very lightweight shell as well.
On static camps with the tarp or parachute up the Ventile is all I want!
Ventile over a good wool mid layerwill keep you dry for a mules age in even the foulest conditions....
Ventile is still used for pilots immersion suits so you KNOW it is more than just showerproof!
I love the stuff and am no great fan of synthetic yarns/modern petro-chemical clothing - but even I have to admit that it has its place....as long as I get it for free I will use the modern stuff and apreciate its function (see my magazine review columns) but - dammit - I have been known to BUY Ventile garments with my own money!
Says it all realy......
 
I use my Ventile jacket nearly all the time, if i'm going to be out in extended periods of adverse weather in exposed conditions I'll likely have a waterproof, this is a paramo or a poncho. If i'm somewhere that I've got some shelter, or can put some up, in woodland etc I'd nearly always just have the ventile only.

It's a great fabric...

My sentiments entirely but I still have difficulty coping with feeling like the tin man in a sustained downpour. For that reason alone, I like to take my Paramo with me. I do love the quietness and comfort of Ventile for most conditions, though.
 
Ventile wins out on sheer comfort and versatility for me. A well-chosen base layer makes a world of difference - stick a Paramo reversible shirt under a Ventile smock and it really helps to add warmth and wick any moisture away, for example - so what I wear with my Snowsled Classic is often the harder choice, rather than whether it's going to be Ventile or something else. In cold, wet multi-day hill conditions I'll probably pick something else; for the rest of the year it's the smock.

I don't carry an additional waterproof, though. If conditions are likely to require something more than the Ventile (and for my outdoor activities they rarely do) then my choice is a lightweight synthetic waterproof and a thin synthetic windshirt.
 
I am a big fan of ventile but it certainly has its limitations.
I use it over a buffalo jacket in the winter and it is a fantastic combination but no good in the summer for obvious reasons.
If I am going to spend a long time in wet conditions I favour goretex for the simple reason that over a period of time the ventile and under layer will get damp and can lose a lot of bodyheat if I am not moving much.
I generally use the woollen HH underwear with a Craghoppers shirt and pertex windshirt with my Ventile as the outer layer and this is a great layer system. The Buffalo comes out when it is very cold or for around camp.
 
I have been trying to cut down on all the stuff I used to take on nights out/ weekends etc. It takes alot of self-control for me! How ever I now just take the old smock and a poncho and never back it up with goretex, the poncho is excellent - cuts out the need for a fly sheet, rucksack cover and waterproofs.
However saying that, the last time I was on Dartmoor the rain seemed to come from beneath us?
 
I usually wear a single layer ventile smock when out and about "bushy" style, unless it is pouring down when I set off, then out comes the Goretex.

Like others, I carry a lightweight poncho in my pack tho - just in case. But to be honest I've never needed it, so will probably ditch it soon!

HTH,

Simon
 
This is comforting, I take a year long break from the forums and the endless Ventilie questions still haven't been settled! :)

But in all seriousness, yes, I probably would supplement Ventile with something else. Mind you, I've officially retired my double layer anorak and replaced it with some Fjallraven G-1000 and found it to be a very suitable replacement.

To answer the question, it really depends on the weather. There are some occasions when a man is fine with Ventile as his sole outer layer, and there are times when quite frankly, Gore-Tex or some other WPB is the better choice.

Different tools for different jobs. Different garments for different conditions.

Adam
 
I wear a Ventile Anorak. It takes two or more hours before it starts to get damp inside, in moderate rainy weather (not heavy downpour). Depending on wind, evaporation ect.
It has a perfect hood that does not limit my view when I move my head up, down or sideways.
All pockets are accessible with a back pack strapped on.
The whole jacket weighs only 800 gram. It's basically a water-resistant, "fire/spark resistant", lightweight, rip-stop fabric, that is very smooth and almost liquid.
It has venting holes in the armpits. An open venting sleeve, horizontally across the back. A zipper at the right side opens the jacket from beneath, right up to the chest, giving easy knife access and extra airflow.
The sleeves are extra long to allow for "creeping up" because of backpack shoulder straps. This works perfectly. (and my arms are fairly long). The adjustable cuffs are very soft because of the same mentioned thin, smooth fabric used, so they don't irritate. The liner is a kind of micro mesh, I call it; nice for wearing next to the skin, with a T-shirt.
I might get a Gore Tex jacket along the line. However the versatility of this Anorak doesn't put me in need to buy another outer jacket. It's very easy this way.
No I am not a share holder of that company hehehe, but obviously a happy customer...
regards,
Lush
 
It worked for me at this years Moot. It ha become a firm favourite already, and the sea of green ventile at Merthy Mawr leads me to believe that it must work! 200 Bushcrafters can't all be wrong, can they?!
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE