Venison & Smoked Pork Chorizo.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That looks amazing. What sort of money are you talking for the setup?

Are you planning on smoking them?

Edit: I assume not with the smoked pork?

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That looks amazing. What sort of money are you talking for the setup?

Are you planning on smoking them?

Edit: I assume not with the smoked pork?

The only bit of kit there is the El Cheapo plastic grinder I picked up off of FB Market place for I think £10 or something. I'm sure you can mince meat in a food processor-just may need to start with small bits ( cut with knife by hand ) and 'pulse' the button a few time.

Funnel is a funnel.. Red makes it go faster....

Thats about it. I wouldn't drop serious money on something until I KNOW i'm serious about it. At the moment this is all about learning on wet saturdays.. :)

I did think about smoking the whole thing but I think my smoking set up needs a rethink. I can completely understand why people opt for lateral burn and smoke chambers to dissipate heat more efficiently.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
The only bit of kit there is the El Cheapo plastic grinder I picked up off of FB Market place for I think £10 or something. I'm sure you can mince meat in a food processor-just may need to start with small bits ( cut with knife by hand ) and 'pulse' the button a few time.

Funnel is a funnel.. Red makes it go faster....

Thats about it. I wouldn't drop serious money on something until I KNOW i'm serious about it. At the moment this is all about learning on wet saturdays.. :)

I did think about smoking the whole thing but I think my smoking set up needs a rethink. I can completely understand why people opt for lateral burn and smoke chambers to dissipate heat more efficiently.

I'm well on this. Other half is actually mega keen too!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm well on this. Other half is actually mega keen too!

Remember to be a good boy and post the results.

You will want HOGSKINS as the casing , not what they use for standard sausages as whatever that is is WAY too small and you just get a sad looking chipolata type things. Ask your butcher after telling him your intentions.

You want to keep the Casing well hydrated before and sometimes during the loading process ( just keep it wet if it seems to be sticking )

You also want to be gentle-gentle whilst loading the casing - its NOT a Condom and are quite easy to tear/rip open if you try to cram too much in one go. Better to feed a bit in , then kinda ( difficult to explain ) , squeeze the casing with the sausage meat in it and gently " udder squeeze " it down into a more solid amount at the bottom.

It can be a bit frustrating to be halfway through loading it and you then find out its torn and you need to start again.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
@TeeDee 1st crack at the sausages tonight... smoked paprika followed by fennel, the cheapo mincer was OK for actually making the sausages but an absolute failure for mincing, we even have a few bits of metal coming off into the mince!

Can't wait to try em though. Deffo on the look out for a better mincer if there are any suggestions!

IMG-20220129-WA0002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE