Vehicle documents lost ?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I bought a van a few weeks back sent away the docs to register it not had the new ones back yet ,The tax ran out so i tried to tax it online but it is still in the other owners name i think ,so i,m presuming the docs have not reached them and i cant get through to dvla !Anyone been in this situation how can i tax it?

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Check but I think you always get a week of leeway, or get in touch with the previous owner and get him to tax it.

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This is a myth.

There is no grace period. You can probably get away with it if you are awaiting your disc - but not just because you haven't got one. :)

Dont blame me if you get a fine! but, I have often not taxed the car for a couple of days after the due date and been fine. Would not push my luck more than a couple of days.
I would start by asking the previous owner if he could sort it for you if not try the DVLA.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I bought a van a few weeks back sent away the docs to register it not had the new ones back yet ,The tax ran out so i tried to tax it online but it is still in the other owners name i think ,so i,m presuming the docs have not reached them and i cant get through to dvla !Anyone been in this situation how can i tax it?

So long as you have the vehicle new keepers supplement that you're supposed to be given (it's detached from the V5 certificate of ownership) when you buy a vehicle you can go to any post office with the necessary documents relating to that vehicle (V10 application form, insurance and MOT cert) and tax it

Guidelines here for further info

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
This is a myth.

There is no grace period. You can probably get away with it if you are awaiting your disc - but not just because you haven't got one. :)

Just an add on to this. There is no grace period. There are 2 definitive laws with effect to tax on a road going vehicle, the first being it must have a valid vehicle excise license and secondly it must be displayed on the windscreen of a car/van etc at all times. Even if you have taxed it on-line and have proof you have paid for it you can still be done for not having it displayed.

I would advise you to give the DVLA a ring and see if they have received documents and are aware of the change etc.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Just got to speak to someone i need to reapply before i can tax it so it has to be kept offroad in the meantime:banghead::banghead::red:

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Just got to speak to someone i need to reapply before i can tax it so it has to be kept offroad in the meantime:banghead::banghead::red:

Yes, this '14 days grace thing' is truly mythical nonsense. With the invention of automatic number plate recognoition it just isn't worth the risk putting the vehicle on the road.

Did the seller not give you the tear off strip?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Please don't think I am being 'obstructive' but I would call DVLA for advice in the first instance rather than posting a thread on a bushcraft forum.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/

Just don't ask them how to sharpen a knife or make a fire :eek:

This being other chatter why shouldn't Gill ask for advice from a wide range of people some of who may have first hand experiance of what happens? :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Well chap, no reason at all really :) but each answer / experience is tainted by 'interpretation' on a subject for which there is legislatively none e.g. the first reply in this thread which is just plain wrong. DVLA would give you information straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. I too have first hand experience and that leads me to ring DVLA before asking a wide range of bushcrafters for vehicle excise duty advice :cool:... That was my advice, yours and others may differ.

But then, as you say, why not.

This being other chatter why shouldn't Gill ask for advice from a wide range of people some of who may have first hand experiance of what happens? :)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
But then you assume that A. This is the only place Gill asked for advice, 2. That Gill is unable to temper any advice/tales of experience given and III that the correct advice wouldn't be proffered and shown to be true. :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
But then you assume that A. This is the only place Gill asked for advice, 2. That Gill is unable to temper any advice/tales of experience given and III that the correct advice wouldn't be proffered and shown to be true. :)

That is why it is in other chatter ,and i did call them several times not the easiest people to get through to.:p

Come on now chaps - please read my original post again with smile - it wasn't intended to be confrontational, was delivering advice and a touch of humour at the same time (or so I thought).... Chill, dudes. :eek:

And Gill, stop posting on here and look up the bus timetable :p:p

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
So much effort that goes into making sure you display your proof of paid tax disc, you would think it is all a money making scheme wouldn't you. I have taxed a couple of weeks after the due date down to plain not being here to tax my vehicle, but my vehicle has been kept off the public highway. As usual you get the frown at the post office and the question have you used the vehicle on the public highway as if anyone would these days with all the number plate recognition in place, but it's been no problem. The trick of course is keep the vehicle off the road until you have your proof of having paid the tax, oh and yeah SORN, if it is staying off for a while, but honestly the trouble they go to over vehicles is unbelievable, but then perhaps they will seeing as you have relinquished your vehicle to the government and you are only the keeper, not the owner.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
If only they would tax push bikes :)

Why, they are zero emission vehicles so they are exempt tax, as the tax we pay is due to what pollutants our vehicle create in the air we breath. Added to those who ride push bikes, most have vehicles which they pay tax on and in using a push bike they are not using their vehicle and so not adding to the pollution and congestion and what congestion they do add to is because of the failure of this country to provide what is needed, areas for human powered vehicles to travel.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
They use the road, have special lanes, they should taxed and be subject to compulsory third part insurance.

Zero emission vehicles are not taxed in this country because they are zero emission, if it is a case of you are unhappy because you have to pay tax make your vehicle zero emission. Or else why force people to pay more in when as a country of road users we get very little out what with roads that are congested and roads that are degrading to the point they resemble cart tracks of the past, paying more in won't solve the problems so why wish extra tax on people ?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
threadderailedsu2.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE