Vegetarians and vegans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, they're real enough, if mostly short lived :rolleyes:
They believe that by consuming only very small amounts of liquid and food but absorbing prana, the spirit of life, that they can exist in a blessed state, both physically and spiritually.

cheers,
Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Deep, deep , deep.

To me, it don,t sound exactly like a barrel of fun, however, there must be summat in it.
But it sounds like a great way of dishing out common sense. i.e. dont use much of it and, it,ll last forever
I learn something every day, on this site.

Ceeg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
No, seriously! It's all tied up with the hard-core "newage" (rhymes with "sewage") stuff - chakras, aliens, crystals, immortality... I swear I'm not making any of this up! For example:

Because we were patterned after the gods, we have within us the seeds of divinity and immortality. One of our potentials is to live without the need for food or water. The first humans lived in an ideal environment and did not have to eat or drink or sleep or age -they were physically immortal -sustained by a high level of prana or life force which flowed unencumbered through their bodies and beings. So long as they kept their blood/light stream unpolluted by food(fruit was the only exception), all was well. The minute they began defiling themselves with grains and meats and vegetables, they began to suffer -and so did their environment.

http://www.librarising.com/health/loveandlight.html

Believe me, there are some strange people out there...

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Oh, I seeeeee.

And someones written all those nice sounding words, eh.
So, thats alright then.

Apolls, to all, for going waaaay off topic...(grasshopper mind, attention deficit ,et al.)

Ceeg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Ahjno said:
:thinkerg:
You replied on Doc's post FR, whilst quoting mine :lmao:

Here's Doc's quote / post:

Note the bit about the fruitarian.

No worries though :D ;)

I must learn to pay more attention
..... 1000 times :D

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Seagull said:
it sounds like a great way of dishing out common sense.
Ceeg

or a great way of getting out of doing the dishes.

(toddy, not a farmers market this time, im just going to a party but could maybe get a box together for you)

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Tengu said:
But most vegitartians are boring, underfed, moralising things
At major (and minor) international sports championships (Olympics, World Champs, World Cups, Continental Champs, Commonwealth Games etc etc etc) there are vegetarian options for every meal. This rather suggests to me that some of those international level athletes are vegetarian. I propose that this refutes the "all veggies are unhealthy" argument that several people have put forward in this thread.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I love vegetables. My mother's side of the family are renowned gardeners. Their gardens are huge. Much of the year, when I was young, we were vegetarians, eating little or no meat. When I was young, we had an acre of tame strawberries. It was us kid's job to weed the strawberries. This probably kept me from having a great interest in gardening. I put up the "three sisters" every year (squash, corn, beans), and about a dozen tomato plants, but that, and apple trees, is the extent of my gardening.

I also love meat. Being a generation, two at the most, from hunter gatherers, at least on my mother's side, I like to eat meat. As autumn and hunting season approached, I remember my mouth watering with the thought of the fresh meat we would soon be eating. I grew up in a hunter culture - where a good hunter was praised - and a poor hunter was the butt of many jokes. During fall hunting and butchering time - we ate prodigious amounts of fresh meat. Our extended family could easily eat a whole deer in one sitting. I have put that in the past tense, but it is still true.

When I first started college - and ran into people who thought hunting was bad - it was a culture shock moment. I still have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to eat all vegetables instead of a mix of vegetables and meat.

This diet doesn't seem to have hurt us any. One of my grandfathers lived to 96, the other to 101. Many of my ancestors have lived past 100 years, one g-grandmother was the oldest woman in our state at the time she died at 105. She was mad for bear meat. Many in our family believe you can live on bear meat alone. Personally, I don't care much for bear meat - unless it is canned - but I do wake up sometimes craving venison or brook trout or moose or grouse. I have the same cravings for sweet onions, fried mushrooms, sweet corn, steamed cabbage, rutabages, or my mother's home made bread. They are all so good!

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I'm not vegetarian but I love vegetarian food, I like to cook it, I like to eat it.

I know lots of vegetarians, although most I know will eat deer meat or meat from my goats I have butchered.

I agree with what some folks have said, that intensive farming methods really screw up the taste of the meat, not to mention the karmic aspect. To me most store bought pork tastes like pigsh*t and most commercial chicken is not a lot better.

Not sure why so many folks are vegetarians now. Commercially produced vegetables taste good? Trendy? Health? I think a vegetarian diet is generally healthier except I think a strictly vegan diet unless people really know what they are doing is not good for kids. I know a disturbing number of young kids raised vegan that have really badly messed up teeth.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
hollowdweller said:
I agree with what some folks have said, that intensive farming methods really screw up the taste of the meat

Too true... What's with all that bacon that tastes of fish? I'm sure bacon used to taste of bacon... ;)

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
I suppose that if you want to see the wholesale slaughter of most of the uk's domestic animals just stop eating them farmers dont keep them to keep the grass short, or as pets, or for townies to ooooow and aaaaarh at, but purely to sell to the meat industry . ok now go ahead and try to convince me to be a vedgie

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
garbo said:
...ok now go ahead and try to convince me to be a vedgie

I’m not keen being evangelical about a vegi diet, to paraphrase George Fox*, eat meat as long as thou canst.

For myself I have a simple reason for not eating meat. I feel it is self evident that I should not take that which does not belong to me – the life of an animal is not mine to take – its that plain. :)

* William Penn (a soldier and Quaker) asked George Fox (a pacifist) about wearing his sword; Fox replied 'I advise thee to wear it as long as thou canst'. (Ref: 19.47 from Quaker Faith and Practice http://www.quaker.org.uk/qfp/chap19/19.19.html).

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
garbo said:
I suppose that if you want to see the wholesale slaughter of most of the uk's domestic animals just stop eating them farmers dont keep them to keep the grass short, or as pets, or for townies to ooooow and aaaaarh at, but purely to sell to the meat industry . ok now go ahead and try to convince me to be a vedgie
Were everyone to stop eating meat on the same day, then yes after a few months the animals would all have to be killed/wasted.
You and I know that it would just not happen like that, as the practice grew where people just stopped eating meat then the demand would fall off slowly, and the supply would fall in direct proportion to the demand (I agree it might be slightly behind the demand) but it would still fall. Old cows would be killed for their meat and used, but young cows would no longer be inseminated. Calves would just not be allowed to be born. The milk production would fall off and with it the need for milk cows. The whole process could be done through natural wastage. Old meat used up, no new meat coming on to the market. It could end in as little as 45 months. Sheep farming, pig farming, chicken farming, would all end sooner. Within less than five years the meat industry would end without there being a “bloodbath”.

Reactions: Toddy

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
As an ex-vegetarian (ten years without even sniffing bacon) I would recommend everybody gives it a try (maybe only a couple of weeks). That first mixed grill was fantastic and you will realise what you have been missing.

Also why do vegetarians produce so much gas :eek: if the human gut is designed to be vegetarian? I wonder sometimes if the researchers are also vegetarion and it is a way of justifing a life style? You dont realise until you have a mixed diet that it is not normal.

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect it depends on your particular variety of vegetarianism :rolleyes: It might be just my family but the veggies don't, if you see what I mean, but the meat eaters certainly do :D They suffer from heartburn, etc., too which the rest of us don't.......and when they're in the loo, they take ages and ye gods but I wish sometimes I trusted air fresheners weren't bad for the environment. The loo is Baltic somedays with the window open :(
I do think it ought to be seen as an individual quirk not a blanket statement.

Cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Some people like to eat one type of thing some don't.

The problem is :confused:
I personally like to eat some meat ( errrrrrr, as food that is) but used to live just up the hill from Doug Scott, he is a vegetarian and I would have to say that he has a fair list of acheivements.
As I remember as a nipper visiting his house, his reasons for avoiding red meat were because he climbed better at high altitude when he stayed clear of it.

I know this is only anecdotal evidence so no proof of anything but it does at least prove that it's possible to be perfectly fit and on a vegetarian diet.

Like I said, I have NO axe to grind as I am not a vege anyway :)

Regards Scott

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
NickC said:
Also why do vegetarians produce so much gas :eek: if the human gut is designed to be vegetarian?

Producing gas is a natural byproduct of digestion. Its not 'wrong', just considered bad form in our polite society.

You think cows don't fart?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
NickC said:
As an ex-vegetarian (ten years without even sniffing bacon) I would recommend everybody gives it a try (maybe only a couple of weeks). That first mixed grill was fantastic and you will realise what you have been missing.

Also why do vegetarians produce so much gas :eek: if the human gut is designed to be vegetarian?
Nick
Vegetarians might fart as often as meat-eaters, but theirs do not smell as much because vegetables produce less hydrogen sulfide. The more sulphur rich the foods you eat, the more your farts will stink because bacteria will generate sulphides and mercaptans as they break down the nutrients. Meat eaters farts stink more

Carbohydrates make your farts smell the most next comes milk; it is indigestible and 100 percent unnatural to the human body.
If you have a good balanced diet, with little or no meat, and a balanced carb intake you might “trumpet” as often, but they’ll not smell as bad as a steak eater

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE