Vegan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
To clarify, I'm referring to not eating animal products. I would be interested to know if anyone has a take on not making any use of animal products at all, but I pretty much take it as a non-starter in the kind of lifestyle we indulge in. And, of course, that discussion goes a bit off-topic.

Cheers,
Leif

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Hm, I'm getting the impression that I'm the oddball here. If there are vegans out there, don't be shy. I have no (conscious) agenda - I'm just interested.

Cheers,
Leif

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hm, I'm getting the impression that I'm the oddball here. If there are vegans out there, don't be shy. I have no (conscious) agenda - I'm just interested.

Cheers,
Leif

i suspect that there might be a few. I know there are a few here who don't eat meat at least but probably make use of non-flesh animal products.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
IMO nothing oddball about being vegan. It is difficult to maintain an adequate nutrition level and be vegan, and IMO even more difficult when backpacking. That uses up enormous quantities of energy, which can adequately be replaced by carbs and (veg) fats. However, you also need a fair amount of protein to refresh damaged muscle. I usually add protein powder to my freezer bag meals, particularly morning porridge.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Plants animals and fungi diverged as groups so long ago that any discussion of what is more closely related to something else is more or less meaningless.

No, I'm not a vegan either.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like vegetarian food, as most UK folk concentrate on the meat it's nice when someone does good things with veg. So saying I also like pretty unadulterated veg, that way getting all the taste and texture that should be there. Things like tomatoes and peppers I'll keep in the fruit bowl and eat them as such. And you can't beat fresh shelled peas and beans. I do however also like meat and fish. If I cant catch it/kill it myself all the better for me as it's had a great life and then minimum pain (if at all) and is treated with respect afterwards.

I'd say meat is maybe 10% of my diet these days.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not vegan, I do like honey, I can manage to eat a little mature cheddar, and my boots, belts, bags and sheaths are often made of leather. I do eat yeast.
I don't eat meat, I don't eat fish :yuck: I avoid dairy 'cos it gives me horrendous indigestion, and I don't eat eggs.

There are no problems finding sufficient food of sufficient quality to sustain a healthy active life on a vegan diet. There is only one trace vitamin that is at all problematical and yeast gives that quite easily.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do like vegetarian food, as most UK folk concentrate on the meat it's nice when someone does good things with veg. So saying I also like pretty unadulterated veg, that way getting all the taste and texture that should be there. Things like tomatoes and peppers I'll keep in the fruit bowl and eat them as such. And you can't beat fresh shelled peas and beans. I do however also like meat and fish. If I cant catch it/kill it myself all the better for me as it's had a great life and then minimum pain (if at all) and is treated with respect afterwards.

I'd say meat is maybe 10% of my diet these days.

Depends on exactly what veg to me. Some are great as salads (proper salads this time. LOL. Not the meat salads i mentioned earlier) However my cooked veg (peas, beans, collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, cabbage, etc.) I prefer cooked the southern way; either boiled with meat grease and fat pork (ham hocks, hog jowl, or salt pork) or fired/sauted in pork grease.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
I'm paleo veggie, with the exception of road kill or something I've taken myself, I won't buy flesh and will go without if there is none. I'm comfy with it.

Rev G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE