Vegan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have a couple of rules on vegetables though. No brussel sprouts EVER. Celery only as a flavouring in say a mirepoix or roasted peanuts. No shredded lettuce at lunchtime. 'part from that just don't cook 'em 'till there mush.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Of course. Doesn't everybody? There's a reason they're called "Goober's Peas." Boil in the shell (prefersably peanuts harvested while still a bit green) Two different recipes:
1. With loads of salt
2. With loads of spicy Cajun seasoning

Eat while still hot. And suck the brime out of the shells.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah I kinda like chutney too. But that's not sliced, battered (more properly, breaded) and fried.

Tried it after the film of the same name. Loved them, done with a nice light peppery batter. Did wonder about breading, not tried it yet and I like breaded things.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tried it after the film of the same name. Loved them, done with a nice light peppery batter. Did wonder about breading, not tried it yet and I like breaded things.

There's as many variations in the basic recipe as there are cooks. I usually just coat with a half & half mix of corn meal & flour (now use gluten free flour cause my daughter's a celiac) with a bit of seasoning (both mixed into said breading and sprinkled on the tomato slices before coating.

Others use bread crumbs. Some soak the tomato slices in buttermilk first. Most serve with a salad dressing to pour over the hot fried slices; the most common are:
-Ranch Dressing
-Bleu cheese Dressing
-Vidalia Onion Dressing

recipe variation I don't like

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's as many variations in the basic recipe as there are cooks. I usually just coat with a half & half mix of corn meal & flour (now use gluten free flour cause my daughter's a celiac) with a bit of seasoning (both mixed into said breading and sprinkled on the tomato slices before coating.

Others use bread crumbs. Some soak the tomato slices in buttermilk first. Most serve with a salad dressing to pour over the hot fried slices; the most common are:
-Ranch Dressing
-Bleu cheese Dressing
-Vidalia Onion Dressing

recipe variation I don't like

Hmm hungry now, I eat a lot of tomatoes, too many according to the doctor as it interferes with my warfarin levels. But I do love them and there's lots of other healthy stuff in them.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
While we're on the subject, I want to make clear that beetroot are in no way to be considered vegetable. They were created in some kind of Victorian steampunk plot to punish the lower classes.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE