Vegan wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The people that don´t want to use anything from animals, are they "allowing" themselves to use wool? Or is that tabu as well?

You don't have to harm or kill an animal to obtain wool... although technically its an animal product. Be interested to know this as well.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Most people who wildcamp don't tend to be the type of person to shout about it from the highest roof.
A quality that might well de-select a few of the vegans I know.;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The semantics here seem to set the vegan apart as using nothing animal of any kind.

The vegetarians, OTOH, are quite happy to gobble up eggs & cheese and wear hand-knit
wool socks in their leather sandals.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think it would depend on how committed a vegan they were. All different levels there. Bit like a Buddhist vegan motorbiking chap I used to know. He gave up pleasure riding in the summer due to the amount of bugs that he found on his helmet & clothing. But he was cool with using petrol (some of that oil is from dead dinosaurs you know) as they hadn't died directly for his benefit.
Not easy getting good boots for outdoor vegans. One of my old suppliers Crispi used to do boots in material called Lorrica; kind've like a highly compressed felt. Even they; and they were dam good boot makers, get them to be consistently good to last for winter use.
Personally I've no beef :rolleyes: with the vegetarians or fruitarians I've known. Just as long as they don't ram it down must throat. I don't eat meat every meal like some folk do these days but I enjoy it. So happy to eat veggie at there house, also some veggie recipes taste very good. Similarly I don't try to force my omniverious nature on them.
Toddy of this parish seems to be one of the most balanced vegetarians I know, she does it for her reasons but is happy to prep meat for others with no recriminations.
Too much sniping from either side on what they feel. Fun if done.lightheartedly, but the passive aggressive stuff and referring to meat as corpses in a forced casual way to drive home a point in conversation just bugs me a little.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So effectively the term 'vegan' doesn't mean a particular set of rules, it is completely down to the individual vegan what they are willing to accept and what they're not??

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think any term or pigeon hole isn't absolute, there are shades of grey. Bit like defining what is bushcraft. All the hundreds of bushcrafters on here but we all have different ideas of what it is.
There are guidelines as to the different types but it depends how committed you are.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not all vegetarians.
Many won't eat eggs or wear leather or silk (unless it's tussah).

The dividing line seems to be honey. If they won't eat honey as well as any other animal produced foods, then they're vegan.

Vegetarians come in different forms. Most don't eat eggs (why quorn's not so popular) many won't eat dairy produce, but generally they will eat honey.

Those who eat fish or chicken are kidding themselves on.

It takes all kinds, and vegetarians are just leaving all that dead stuff for the omnivores ;)

M

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
He gave up pleasure riding in the summer due to the amount of bugs that he found on his helmet & clothing. But he was cool with using petrol (some of that oil is from dead dinosaurs you know) as they hadn't died directly for his benefit.

He didn´t see the hypocrisy in it? Bugs killed by his helmet was not ok, but oil that is a serious issue for a lot of wildlife, and especially sea creatures, is ok?

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
How viable is veganism (or even just vegetarian) in terms of sustainability and required calories? (im thinking living off the land for a few weeks compared to a weekend out)

I know it is perfectly viable as a homesteader, but what about when there are no potatoes and carrots you can eat. Must be a lot of work to fuel tour body when working it hard in the woods, or worse.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I think that would depend a lot on where you live. In the north i suspect it would be more difficult than in a part of the world with longer harvest seasons.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Depends a lot more on knowledge as well... eat the wrong thing, its bye bye time.

Mind you, I suppose the same thing goes for fish.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Yeah, location and knowledge are both rather vital to the equation. Just seems like a LOT of work to make up those calories compared to say catching a rabbit and using greenery etc to supplement that.

Must be a hard life

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y' think so ?…..first catch your rabbit to paraphrase Mrs Beeton.

How you going to do that then ?

Meanwhile I'll just make a digging stick and find dinner :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not all oil comes from the sea though, and they're not killed deliberately to provide his fuel. In reality they ought not be affected at all, but that's down to the Industry's failings.

So, directly responsible for the killing of insects or quietly hoping that the fuel industry is as clean as it ought to be ?
No hypocrisy as he sees it I reckon.

Just as some will wear leather but cannot eat meat. The leather is the by product of the food production industry. Just as the straw is the by product of grain.
That one I have problems with. I find at times I have real problems accepting that I do use leather. Heart and soul though I'm a practical lady, and though I would starve rather than eat meat, I will, reluctantly, accept that we genuinely do not have a better material for many products than leather. Even the best fabrics fall down next to it. I think though that in time that will change, but we're not there yet, and I live in a cool, wet, country. If I lived in the warm, dry south, or the cold, dry far North, I think it'd be an awful lot easier to use other materials.
Traditionally the far north uses skins and furs, but it's easy to import good plant fabrics and materials now, and so long as they're kept dry, they're very sound. Inuit women's parkas are often printed cotton these days….but then, most live in houses too.
It's damned hard getting the moisture balance right in a climate that's too cool to dry stuff easily and too wet to most of the time not to keep getting stuff wet. It's 92% moisture outside here just now….and I am on land :rolleyes: not on a loch or on the sea.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Toddy, pretty much exactly as my Buddhist vegetarian thought.
On the leather front it's amazing stuff with a lot of variance depending on what you want it for. Goat leather maintains its grip and integral structure when wet, kangaroo & dog skin (I don't want folks skinning pooches though) are naturally waterproof as they have little or no pores as they don't sweat. Shark/ray leather for handles, eel skin for hinges, calf skin for writing on (making it very important to our development as a species) the list goes on. To me leather & wood are two of the most useful & diverse resources human kind has been lucky enough to be provided with.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I am Vegan and at home we have no problem preparing food, its when we are invited out ( not often and usually by the in laws)where we have issues with finding vegan meals.

That's what the bread rolls are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is fairly estimated that humanity eats over 10,000 different plants……yet even in this company I'd bet that most of the omnivores haven't eaten more than pig, cow, sheep, deer, chicken, duck, goose, turkey, and assorted seafoods.

Real Vegan and Vegetarian diets are incredibly varied, interesting, seasonally enriched. It's frustrating to try to eat out in an normal restaurant and pretty much always find that 'vegetarian option' is usually boring old pasta :yuck: or some version of couscous.
Most of us just eat baked potatoes when out. Safest option usually. No contamination, iimmc.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE