Vegan wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iain Lawrence

Nov 7, 2015
Swinton, South Yorkshire
After been involved in wild camping for many years it has come as no surprise to me that I have met zero VEGAN wild campers or people involved in bushcraft.
I am indeed vegan and have enjoyed wild camping with hammock/tents and bivi, but any one else out there who might be vegan, please post a word or two so I know I'm not alone.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
YOU ARE ALONE!!!

Just kidding, i met a vegan couple walking and wild camping on the West Highland Way in summer 2014, they were eating huge amounts of nuts and seeds

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the guys I worked with in forestry was a fruitarian. Not a strict one as he did buy fruit rather than just gathering fallen stuff.
Not the healthiest looking chap but he was happy. Plenty good vegetarian recipes for when out camping though. I've know quite a few, nowt wrong with it, as long as the different camps don't get preachy about it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you're not alone, I'm pretty much vegan and definitely vegetarian (no eggs, no milk either) all of the time.
When I camp where it's a settled camp there are two sets of pots, etc., and one is always vegan friendly. The rest of the time I don't bother taking along the ones for the meat eaters.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm intrigued how you would know whether the person you met was Vegan? Its not like there is a badge (and its not like someone wearing synthetic boots and eating Dahl is necessarily a vegan)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good point :)

I generally look on feeding people along the lines of what's safe. Many folks just cannot eat onions and be comfortable, Wayland for instance, others cannot eat nuts (Alison) some cannot eat fish (me and Alan), some it's gluten while others it's dairy or eggs. Caroline breaks out in a mess of itchy lumps if she eats tomatoes.
David keeps Kosher, Maz and his family are pretty much Jain vegan, some people won't touch alcohol, others detest coffee.
I like my veggies, but Russ detests cucumber, so I don't add it to the stir fries if I'm feeding him.

It's just people, and we're all different.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BB has to avoid almost all prepared vegetarian meals as firms all go to "pea protein". She is very allergic to peas. She is fine with everything I cook in that line - because I know!

Does that mean she can't eat the Indian stuff either ? Besan and such like ? That makes it even harder because those kinds of flours are ubiquitous in Indian cooking and much used in gluten free too.

M

Last edited by a moderator:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I'm intrigued how you would know whether the person you met was Vegan? Its not like there is a badge (and its not like someone wearing synthetic boots and eating Dahl is necessarily a vegan)

Sometimes quite easily identified BR.

This couple had strayed off the Pacific Coast Trail a little.

I drew a map for them on the back of their placard in return for a (poorly composed) photo.

Dear-New-Vegan.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
My daughter is fully vegan. We've just about got used to it at home, as the rest of us are meat eaters. In practice we often end up having vegan or at least vegetarian stuff ourselves at dinner time so we don't have to make separate meals. Often it's not too bad though to do vegetables for all of us plus, say, chicken for us & some sort of vegan loaf-type affair for her. I think we should be able to manage for two weeks at Bushmoot next year!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014

For the couple I met the conversation started between us as they both were wearing flip flops whilst walking the WHW
and i asked weren't there feet sore and cold without a good pair of leather boots and the first thing they both said in answer like twins speaking together is they were vegans, they had some delicious home made sesame seed and honey nutrition bars that they traded me for a bag of brazil nuts

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well yes, for a limited quality. Wellie boots for instance can easily end up rancid, and the pleather stuff is just as bad and it splits. Canvas is good, but it wears through. Rope woven ones 'soften' and seat very quickly. Felted ones are excellent but they are very hard to come by as anything but slipper types.

Sorry to be pedantic BR, but I have tried them all. More so with teenagers who were mutinously veggie. The advent of goretex boots was a blessing :)

M

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If I were contemplating such a walk, I think I'd train my feet up again and go barefoot. No blisters, no worries about wet boots, no need to carry sock, save a lot of weight.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was amazed they were both in flip flops cos it was not warm by any judge, i agree there were surely many other vegan options but they mentioned something about not using anything that is made from by products of animals as we were trading foodstuffs and travel woe stories, i didn't pry further as each to their own and all that, they were a nice couple who spent half an hour sitting around my fire chatting

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
The people that don´t want to use anything from animals, are they "allowing" themselves to use wool? Or is that tabu as well?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE