Vapalux M20 problem sorted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I took my three M20's away to Wales last week for a large group camp and they did a splendid job of illuminating the communal open gazebo type thing we set up but on the third night one of them developed a problem. It started pulsing and then went really dim and sort of stopped working.

Tonight I got around to giving it a service and straight away looked at the vaporizer which had had some use even before I had the lamp. I used some lighter petrol in those little yellow cans and squirted some down the tube and gave it time to work then tapped the tube on a solid surface with a white cloth on it. Loads of black gunk came out-carbon or soot or whatever it was and it took about six or seven repeated slooshings out and tapping before it was clean.

I reassembling the lamp after giving it a go with the Brasso and it works like a charm, ever so slight pulse occasionally but all my lamps do that but it's back to full glory!

Great lamps these, so simple to work on. Thought I would need a new vaporizer but turned out fine after the de-gunk so thought I would share this tip!!

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The postman today delivered a parcel and I now have my fourth and final M320! I will have to sit on my hands if I see another at a good price and also still have not discounted getting an old Tilley Guardsman to do up but for now the lamp collecting bug has been satiated!

Anyway to the point of this post, I fired up the new lamp but as soon as I did I noticed my mistake! It came with a Vapalux mantle ready tied to the tube and I just filled it with meths and lit it not realizing that the bottom tie string had come undone and the mantle had slipped down the vap-tube. Well it burnt off well and when it lit proper I thought it looked quite bright. I fired up the other three, two have Tilley 164h happy mantles and the other a standard Vapalux mantle.

Well the new lamp was the brightest with a very white light I think because how the mantle burnt off, kind of elongated and close to the tube and at least 60 watt in strength. The two happy mantles glow quite orange/yellow in comparison as they form a ball of mantle quite far from the tube and I would say the output is 40-45 watt. The last lamp with the other Vapalux mantle that was installed 'properly' and burnt off gives a whiter light than either happy mantles but less than the wrongly burnt off one about 50 watt!

I hope the mantle arrangement can be duplicated on my other lamps and I will just fix them by the top string and let them hang as the light is so much better?

If anyone wants pics I could do them tomorrow as my camera needs a charge?

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Some pics for any of you pressure lamp fans...

From left... vapalux mantle installed properly, happy mantle, happy mantle, vapalux left hanging.

004-9.jpg

vapalux properly installed mantle...

003-17.jpg

Happy mantle...

002-20.jpg

Hanging vapalux mantle...

001-25.jpg

All burning in ambient light...

005-10.jpg

All burning in the dark...

007-5.jpg

Happy on left, hanging vapalux on right in ambient light...

006-9.jpg

Happy on left, hanging vapalux on right in the dark...

008-6.jpg

I know it's quite hard to make out and pics do it no justice but you can see the happy mantles are much more yellow/orange compared to the vapalux which is bright white. However the happy mantles have a greater surface area but with less output per square cm.

Spoke to the lady at Base camp today and she said the happy mantles are meant for top notch performance Tilleys as the area within the mantle is too big for most lamps and pretty much confirmed my observations. Ordered some more vapalux mantles while there and also a few Tilley 164 Pro mantles as these are supposed to have a tighter weave and be brighter than either 164 x or h so worth an experiment?

Steve.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I have a anchor 350 and it likes the bigger mantels the 500 cp ones. the smaller ones burn yellowish were the the bigger ones burn bright white and puts out more light.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Rik_uk recommended me the 164x and 164H (happy) mantles when I first started using my 320, and I find the 164x from Base Camp far better value for money, despite being a little fiddly. Cheers for the pics as well ateallthepies!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
What do you regard as being a good second hand price for one of these?

I have seen these go recently for under £50! Please don't spend silly money, some people are asking for £100 plus for a new old stock one.

I have a spare used m320 that needs a burner that I could part with for £25 posted, actually it's the second on the left in the first picture? Burners are on ebay buy it now for £15 or you could snaffle one cheaper on auction?

Let me know via PM if your interested?

Steve

Last edited:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
My recent addition, she's a little belta!

(Last time I posted pictures I found a menu where you could choose whether to post thumbnails, small, medium or large pictures, but I'm damned if I can find it again - a little help?)

Attachments

• Vapalux.jpg
    Vapalux.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I got my first ever pressure lamp from Greatbear on this forum, a 320 and its brilliant.
I use it when ever the belltent comes out and as well as the lovely light it produces the heat it gives off is always welcome.
Its amazing how long they last on a full tank too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE