VANDEEN, Newcastle Older Newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi All,

Kept seeing this thread then forgetting to come back & write anything.....

Anyways M 40+ live about 3 miles North of Newcastle, got back into camping when I got back into Motorbikes 3-4 years ago, prior to that it was only the yearly drunken outing to the lakes in my teens and twenties and beach camping after parties + Ventures, Scouts cubs etc. previously.
Most of my gear harks back to that era too so no laughing ;)

Looking to learn some new skills and re kindle some old ones.
Particularly interested in hammocks at the moment and if becomming a "Swinging" convert suits me. Have been trawling the hammock forum for inspiration too but really want to see some in the fabric so to speak.

I'm one of lifes tinkerers, & would rather spend £30 on tools and two days working on something instead of going out and buying it for £20
I guess it runs in the family blood, grandad was a blacksmith, father a goldsmith & me a frustrated internal tech suport sales engineer in the factory automation sector.

I shoot, twelve bore and air rifle, Fish, both fly and sea, (never saw the point in catching anythig I couldn't eat).Though mostly these days it feels that I work :( which impacts heavily on everything else.
Got a couple of kit cars, built a couple more in the past and own two motorbikes, the only time my vehicles see a garage is for their MOT.

Generally I'm the bloke friends come to when something goes wrong or falls off/apart for advice or to get it fixed. NB I DON'T DO PLUMBING!!! :confused:

Anyway thats a bit about me, hope I havent scared any of those attending the Brockwell meet next weekend off. :)

Looking forward learning. (and getting my post count to a stage where I can follow links ;) )

Cheers VANDEEN

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello mate I am also from Newcastle and live in Newbiggin Hall, I have not been to any local meets yet but hope to. I have been on here for a short while and find everyone really easy to get on with. I hope to get to one of the meets in the future so no doubt i will see you there.

Oh sorry I'm John by the way.

kendalphil

Jan 16, 2011
kendal cumbria
Hi Vandeen,

Welcome to the Bushcraft Forum as a newbie to bushcraft myself you are not on your own learning bushcraft with its new skills, it will enhance your outdoor knowledge.

As a backpacker for 15 years and learning backpacking skills started to learn about bushcraft as another way of getting outdoors, purchased a DD travel hammock and DD tarp XL it can sometimes be quite difficult because of so many different configerations.

However this is where the bushcraft forum comes into place, all you have to do is ask you will receive a professional reply from a seasoned bushcrafter.

At Brockwell meet next Saturday hope to see you there, Lannyman and Toilet Digger have been very supportive, hope to see new faces and make new friends.

Regards
Kendalphil

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Morning chaps & chapesses?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)

welcome to the site and look forward to meeting you and your antiques at brockwell :D

Antiques :lmao:

Well I did find the axe my grandad taught me to split sticks with as a kid, we always had a pail of kindling sticks ready for laying the fire. I've stuck a new wedge or two in the top & started making a cover for it, had to stitch it with dental floss as we didnt have any polyester thread in the house.
Handy stuff to have in a pack too, its very versatile.
The axe is gonna need some serious sharpening though, he just used a file but I don't remember him ever teaching me to do that bit.
I do however remember the clip around the lug I got for hitting a nail in a stick and putting a big V in the blade :(

Going to have to dig harder to find my old sheath knife too, and do some repairs to my old berghause Delta rucksack before I'd trust it to carry anything too heavy.
Recon we must have had mice in the loft back at my parents at some time over last two decades :( my old external frame ruberised canvas pack is now a gonner & dad had already slung it when I mentioned I was comming home to pick up my old camping gear.

Been sitting with er indoors watching TV and frantically teasing some loft back into my chunky old Mountain Equipment Phoenix quad qualofill bag this week. The summer one I bought for bike camping will be no good for Sept. temp's. I'm so pleased I hadn't left that back at my folks the mice would have had a field day!.
It somehow feels far more close fitting than I remember it though??? They must shrink in storage!

I've also invested in a few new things this year like an issue basha, bivi bag, mess tins for fire use etc as they all came at the right price from a good mate & just in case my 25 year old twin hoop bivvy style tent and ally pans aren't still up to the task. I never got the hole repaired in the inner mozzie mesh where a mate tried to cook with a trangia and lifted the pan off without thinking of the rising heat fire spout:eek:
Also bought a cheap folding saw to try, boy do those things whizz through softwood I'll be puting one in my bag for pine wood brashing out days. goodjob

purchased a DD travel hammock and DD tarp XL it can sometimes be quite difficult because of so many different configerations.

Reviews and pictures are fine but that's one of the manufacturers I'm keen to see in the fabric, I quite like the idea of being able to sleep either above or on the ground. I've spent one night in a hammock made from some old netting we found lying about back in my teens and remember the cold back syndrome well! I will definitely be looking at some sort of under quilt/covering too.

Hello and welcome.
"Older"! 40+! Nah, that's "experienced".

I like your thinking, but doesn't being experienced mean I should at least remember it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE