valiant co.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
ive just ordered my selfa new golock of the site and wondered if any of you have any experience of dealing with them? also any one that orderd from them in GB how long the producs took to arive? hears what i ordered http://www.valiantco.com/java/SGM.JPG
:headbang:

just need a jungle now! haha

Can't help much as I got my Survival Golok Large unused off somebody in the UK. I can say the are superb value for money though.

If you want to get the most out of it I strongly recomend the reprofiling advice given here...

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=94

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Spade13, personally I wouldnt bother with the regrind, I own two Valiant Co blades and have no problems with the edge they come with, also remember that the edge that is on it that way for a reason, it is done for strength and ease of sharpening, believe me when sharp these blades will remove quite a bit of timber and flesh with minimal effort on your part... hope you enjoy your new blade and have plenty of safe use of it...

Cheers,

Karl

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I didn't mean to infer they weren't excellent blades 'out of the box' just that their performance can be improved with a little reprofiling to even out any slight lumps & bumps left from forging - if you have the time or inclination of course, you certainly don't have to & most people don't from what I gather.

The survival range are not as highly finished as the more expensive ones in their range. Reprofiling of this nature should not have much effect on strength apart from evening out lowspots & kinks (that can be weak spots in themselves) & sertaily won't make it harder to sharpen as the final edge should have the same angle.

That said I was very impressed with the workmanship on mine when I got it, they are superb blades with good fit & finish.

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
cheers guys its being sent to me on wed so i cant wait to get it, my normal method with new blades is just to strop them well then go test them and make any refinments after the initial testing. ive done some resrch on the blades myself and all the signs point to them being very very good!

so it looks like im in for a treat when it arives....oh and my old man will be very jelouse of my shinny new thing! haha

p.s thanks for the link those pages hold alot of good info and i recomend reading them, to any one who likes large blades

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE