Using a pencil sharpener to make tinder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
An arrow taper cutter is a little larger and arguably of more uses when out-of-doors!
A good thing to carry especially if you find feathersticks difficult.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'd heard of that idea before but never actually done it.

I bet even with damp wood you'd get good fine shavings.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now I wonder if you can make pencil shaped maya or fat lighter sticks? Hammer a stick through a metal plate like when making pegs for a rake? That's me faffing again. We need to get a new taper cutter as the old ones missing from herselfs old archery kit (just went to nick it).

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Make sure you get the type with two holes, large and small, as the small hole is useless.

The best type are carpenter's pencil sharpeners from an iron monger or tool supplier.

nuphoria

Jul 11, 2009
Midlands
I was thinking carpenters sharpener too, although I always use my knife to sharpen my carpentry pencils!

It does seem like an easy way to make a quick pile of tinder though.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Mang had that as a tip here from a post on ESCOUTS

THE BUSHCRAFT WOOD SHAVINGS MAKER
(secondary use as a pencil sharpener)
thepencilsharpener.jpg

The best ideas are often the simplest.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've been using one of the two hole sharpeners for a while now. Don't get the plastic ones, they smash easily.

When hands are cold its easier than making a feather stick.

Liam

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Anyone know where you can get Beaver Brand carpenters pencil sharpeners in the UK?, it's the only all metal ones I've found on the interweb. I've a plastic job but if I can get a metal one it would be shinier....

i'll get my coat

Tom

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Tom, check out stationery shops and supermarkets when the schools are due to go back. They usually stock loads of metal pencil sharpeners.

Liam

N

Nomad

Now I wonder if you can make pencil shaped maya or fat lighter sticks? Hammer a stick through a metal plate like when making pegs for a rake? That's me faffing again. We need to get a new taper cutter as the old ones missing from herselfs old archery kit (just went to nick it).

There's a YouTube video somewhere of a guy that makes his own Maya dust using fatwood sticks held in a cordless drill - he pokes the stick into a pencil sharpener that has a plastic box shavings catcher bit on it. Fills the thing in a few seconds.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUZDyc8wLA

Last edited by a moderator:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
At the risk of sounding like a naysayer (again!) when does bushcraft turn into nothing more than camping with a bunch of gadgets to use? A knife works just fine for tinder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE