Uses for Eucalyptus Wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
My mother planted a small Euc tree a few years ago in her small back garden, the tree now isn't so small but the garden is smaller.......so.....it's going to have to go......at least in part.

Now as this tree is at least 30 foot high, I think I may be in for a fair bit if usefull lumber!

So, I know this tree has many uses from sore throat relif to didgery do's.....

But what might I find it usefull for?

I pruned a small limb back yesterdaay and there is heart and sapwood present which set me thinking about a longbow, then a fire bow......etc...

Has anyone made use of this wood, or know what it is, is not suited to?

I'm fairly sure it will keep me warm...and the peeling bark is an excellent tinder LOL

Smoggy

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Blimey, !!! i'm in the same boat mate. My tree is now lifting the gravel boards and fence panels with its roots. I can see the makings of a few kuksas from the branches coming out of the tree. Would be interesting to see if the wood is usable.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In regards to bow making wood i beleive it depends on what flavour of yuke it is. Not a wood i have personaly tried.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Now theres the difficulty me not being an arborialist......and mother not keeping the lable when she bought it!

I did a little bit of surfing and found out that Euc's don't only come from Aus...........although I can state with confidence it is a straight growing reach for the sky type...LOL

30+foot in 7yrs from a 3 foot sapling is pretty outstanding, if you stand next to it you can hear the bark crack as it peels away every couple of minutes, efectively hear it grow.....so a word of warning to anyone thinking of planting one!

I'll do a bit more surfing and see if I can identify it more closely.

Smoggy.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Sounds exactly like the one in my garden. Keep the bark then put it on the fire the next time you're out, smells great when burning,lol :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE