US Winter Shopping £1 =$2.04

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
With the pound now worth over $2 and my mother-in-law heading on a two-week trip to the states next month, I've been eyeing up the winter gear available to our cross-pond cousins.

I'd love to hear advice on good mail-order stockists that people have used, as well as specific advice on individual items. I'm after a pair of snow boots for general wear and snow-shoeing and some weatherproof trousers for Winter bushcraft that are also suitable for skiing.

I'm sure others are looking for other bits as the nights draw in so chip in with any US shopping advice you see fit.

L.L Bean seem good, but there must be others...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
With the pound now worth over $2 and my mother-in-law heading on a two-week trip to the states next month, I've been eyeing up the winter gear available to our cross-pond cousins.

I'd love to hear advice on good mail-order stockists that people have used, as well as specific advice on individual items. I'm after a pair of snow boots for general wear and snow-shoeing and some weatherproof trousers for Winter bushcraft that are also suitable for skiing.

I'm sure others are looking for other bits as the nights draw in so chip in with any US shopping advice you see fit.

L.L Bean seem good, but there must be others...

take the tags off and keep the receips sepereate. There are limits on how much you're allowed to bring back, but of course you may have just bought a lot of US jeans et al. before you went away with an empty case :)

Oh - and you're not allowed to bring back jerky from the US. I tried to take 2 packs back and customs conviscated it. What did I see in the duty free shop however 1 min down the path to the exit? genuine US jerky, same packet. :rolleyes:

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I was looking at Filson stuff the other day, they make a wool shirt like the Swanndri but much thicker material, they are expensive over here might be worth checking out their prices over there.

Simon.

wilt

Dec 4, 2004
Ohio, USA
Hello Shep,

I have received quality products with very good service from the places listed below:

Campmor (www.campmor.com, great deals on brand name clothing and camp/outdoor gear).
US Cavalry (www.uscav.com, 5.11 clothing and camp/outdoor gear).
Ibex (www.ibexwear.com, wool clothing. Outstanding stuff!).
Brigade Quartermaster (www.actiongear.com, 5.11 clothing and camp/outdoor gear).
Tilley Endurables (www.tilley.com, clothing and hats).
T.A.D. Gear (www.tripleaughtdesign.com, camp/outdoor gear).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE