Upcycled hi-viz jacket pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I had a hi-viz waistcoat issued by my company but the branding has now changed so I can't use it. I spent an enjoyable hour this morning picking it apart and then sewed up this little pouch using the retroreflective stripes for the outer and the yellow fabric for the lining. Should be easy to find at night if I drop it! Aside from my label and the zip, all materials are from the jacket. You can't see in the picture but the seams inside (which are double stitched) have bias binding from the edging on them

hv1.jpg

hv2.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks good! - how big is it? i'm guessing about 4"x5" though photos are often deceptive but whatever it had a good wide reflective strip, most ive seen are onlt about 2" wide :)

I know it would be neigh on impossible to photo but would love to see how it sines at night under torchlight, I bet it would be a beacon that would give portland lighthouse a run for its money.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Very nice indeed.
Torch light will pick it out in a dark place and the hi viz lining makes the contents easy to see.
Cracking bit of upcycling. It's about time I learnt how to use a sewing machine.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looks good! - how big is it? i'm guessing about 4"x5" though photos are often deceptive but whatever it had a good wide reflective strip, most ive seen are onlt about 2" wide :)

I know it would be neigh on impossible to photo but would love to see how it sines at night under torchlight, I bet it would be a beacon that would give portland lighthouse a run for its money.

Yes, about that big. The strips are about that wide but I sewed a few of them together. I hung it on a shrub and shone a torch at it from about 20m away - as you predicted, it's like a beacon. I took a video but it just shows a very bright spot in an otherwise black background.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
yup exactly as i suspected - reflections are impossible! :)

cracking sewing then btw - can't even see the join! goodjob

Reactions: spandit

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The OP is pretty good with the upcycling. Inventive and high quality work.

Right now work has a lot of interesting materials and I'm thinking some could be turned into useful things. I'm kind of not quite there with the ideas and don't have the kit or expertise anyway. I think I need a sewing machine if I was to do something.

BTW it's mostly reject stuff or surplus that the company needs to find a market for. In the meantime I can probably get to take some items for my own use. Just need to be cheeky and ask. Then learn to sew better!

I must admit I like to see what the op makes. There's some good items coming from his workshop. There's good ideas I think I could use. I like the idea of using strips of one material to make a bigger piece and then into a bigger finished object.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The OP is pretty good with the upcycling. Inventive and high quality work.

Right now work has a lot of interesting materials and I'm thinking some could be turned into useful things. I'm kind of not quite there with the ideas and don't have the kit or expertise anyway. I think I need a sewing machine if I was to do something.

BTW it's mostly reject stuff or surplus that the company needs to find a market for. In the meantime I can probably get to take some items for my own use. Just need to be cheeky and ask. Then learn to sew better!

I must admit I like to see what the op makes. There's some good items coming from his workshop. There's good ideas I think I could use. I like the idea of using strips of one material to make a bigger piece and then into a bigger finished object.

"Pretty good" :D - damned with faint praise :D :D :D

This was made on a vintage sewing machine that I think I paid £12 for (only because the auction house starts all bids at £10 and there is 20% commission) - you can pick them up incredibly cheap and they're so much better made than modern ones. Many of them are Singer or Brother clones and use standard parts and accessories (if you go too old then you might run into issues).

I buy cones of 40s bonded Nylon thread for about £12 - typically 3,500 yards (so that will last a while). The Americans refer to it as V92.

I prefer using reclaimed materials. That one vest provided about 3m of reflective tape, plus a couple of metres of stretchy bias edging and a reasonable length of Velco. The zip I bought on Facebook - that was a bit of a bargain, I have a few hundred metres of it. The labels were custom made (but not expensive) by a company I found on Facebook.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
"Pretty good" is my lancastrian version of the Yorkshire "you'll do!" It's just about the most praise you'll ever get from me.

It's equivalent to everyone else throwing you a celebratory party with poppers and balloons, or other such fuss.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
"Pretty good" is my lancastrian version of the Yorkshire "you'll do!" It's just about the most praise you'll ever get from me.

It's equivalent to everyone else throwing you a celebratory party with poppers and balloons, or other such fuss.

I'll take it! :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'll take it! :D
Do you take commissions? I'm curious in case I need to get something like you make in the future. I'd much rather buy from someone who contributes here than a company. Although I know of a company that grew out of a guy upcycling thrown away materials from home just like you that's always interested me. In his case bicycle inner tubes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE