upcoming adventures any body?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I'm having a practice adventure in the Scillies at the end of March. Not wild camping by any means, as I'll be staying in a campsite each evening, but it has become something of a tradition, provides a good opportunity to test new gear 'in the field' and as I do a kind of tour of the islands (camping on those with campsites, just visiting those without) it gets me back into the habit of hiking - making camp - breaking camp - hiking again.

Then from May onwards, I intend to get out and about adventuring as much as I can. No definite plans yet, but plenty of well formed ideas.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Where do I start?

I was finishing work on the 29th of this month (redundancy) but now it's 7th March.
Once that's out of the way I am canoing from Hereford to Redbrook. I was panning on doing this in 4/6 days at a leisurely pace but now plan on breaking it up into chunks because of the weather.
Hereford to Holme Lacy then a night's wild camping and home.
Holme Lacy to Hoarwithy then a nights wild camping and home.
Hoarwithy to Ross-On-Wye (or a mile or two past Ross) then a nights camp then home.
Ross to Symmonds Yat then camp then home.
Symmonds Yat to Redbrook then PUB!

I will be sharing this on my new blog (not quite finished yet).

Week after that;
Cycling the Ridgeway from Overton Hill to Streatley (70km) wild camping each night

week after that;
Canoe Monmouth & Brecon canal from Brecon to Pontypool with wild camps along the way.

week after that;
Attend divorce courts and plan the next month!

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
Off tomorrow for a one nighter in the mountain near me. I'm leaving off early so I can get some good time to practice things instead of the usual rush around setting up camp and getting the dinner on.

I did have a nice trip planned to go on a course back in the UK, but that went up the pan when my wife found out how much it would cost.:(

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Dartmoor in a week and a bit, then the trailwalker 100k, punctuated with weekends in our local hills with my youngest (7), bivvying. Probably do a few nights in the South of France this summer, family permitting...

Would be nice to go somewhere in Wales this autumn.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Dartmoor in a week and a bit, then the trailwalker 100k, punctuated with weekends in our local hills with my youngest (7), bivvying. Probably do a few nights in the South of France this summer, family permitting...

Would be nice to go somewhere in Wales this autumn.

whats the trailwalker 100k jeffz? i did the staffs way last year 93mi. i did it in 46 hours, but thats as i had a few things go wrong and ended up walking 22 hours in a day and 65 miles in a day.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
The Trailwalker 100k (aka Gurkha Challenge): http://www.oxfam.org.uk/trailwalker - if you've done 65 miles in a day, the trailwalker'll be easy!
i did 65miles in a day. then couldnt walk properly for over a week. lol id say with the kit ive got, i can do 3.5mph over most terrain except pretty steep or slippy consistently over 10 hours without similar impairment i had then. alot went wrong that forced them kinda miles. then i just kinda gave up and kept walking to get home. lol.

Last edited:

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
my plan for this year is simple - get out whenever i can, whether it be bush-crafting, moor-walking or hunting/shooting....

had a sit down with the OS-map the other night and now have loads of ideas for places to go on and around the moors, with any luck swmbo will join me on the majority of outings..

my long-term aim is to build up the skills, stamina and kit to do Scafell Pike next year, then Snowden and Ben Nevis the following years...

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
ive just had a look jeffz, sounds great, i wish id never done mine alone, just had no one t go with. i think going alone made me nervous so i packed more. if i was going to do that one thing id have is an explorer canteen. save you shed loads of time and weight. for me if i feel ive got that ready to drink from and fill as i go, with a canteen for cooking or drinking if water isnt easily come by. i could do some distance with nowt on me back. not trying to preach mate. just if i was going now to do that. that would be the main thing for me... im a bit envious. if someone drops out and you need a member let me know. id do it at the drop of a hat mate. a good cause to.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i have many midland meets i will attend this year. I also have a 10 day trip planned for April in Scotland.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Agree with that just get out more!! with that in mind we're up on the lakeland fells sunday for an overnighter, round wasdale area. Also get the kids out more doing similar (need to warm up first though!!) got some good child friendly backpacking routes sorted, and finally to use the hammock!! Heres to a cracking 2012.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
you mean me? i will survive i just might not need the assorted warm layers i have packed!

Oh.... if you want to pack less I can do the internal inferno version
smiley-flamethrower-2.gif

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
We've been having mini adventures all year...

Last weekends was a bush walk , rock climbing and swimming across a river with a packed bergen.. the weekend before we abseiled into a dormant volcanic lava tube looking for glow worms, went snorkelling and caught shrimps in the rock pools and cooked them up on the beach for a snack.

I suppose looking forwards were heading to the UK for a 'holiday' in June + July so that's our big adventure this year along with lots of small ones over here...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE