Unsuccessful search for lightweight simple high leather boots, close to trail shoes flexibility

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Hello everyone,

I happen to be quite unsuccessful in my search for the ideal boots so I came in hope to find enlightenment thanks to your wisdom and knowledge.
I'm a simple man searching for simple things, but apparently this is a harder task today than one may think at first.
So I'm looking for what would be (to me) the ideal outdoor shoes : a lightweight pair of leather boots, high shaft (between 15 and 18cm), sewn tong, flat and flexible soles, laces, no padding, no waterproof membrane, no fancy stuff, no awfully expensive price.
That's it.
And well, I found only one pair that could fit my needs, which is the Byteks cobra boots, and that's all, which I find quite odd as to me, this is what I would call basic outdoor boots for stuff outside trails.

Would some of you have other options in mind that would fit the bill and help me extend my list from one model to more than one by any chance ?

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Army boots usually have a double leather layer inside, no flat sole, weight a ton, and are very stiff. So not really what I stated.
I'm searching for something closer to barefoot stuff than from foot tanks. Although I'll try to find some infos about French foreign legion boots, it does not look like it is, but who knows.
Lightweight to me means less then 600gr per shoe and less than 500gr would be even better.

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
thanks but it's the same, I already checked the Särma model, but the sole is apparently quite stiff, and there's a huge heel.
What I was trying to describe was something closer to barefoot/trail shoes in terms of feelings, but high and one layer of leather only.
Or like mocassins, but with a sole not made out of leather

Reactions: Pat

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Not laughing about the wrestling boots, I already considered it, but the ones I found where not leather, too low and all had flat soles, which is a real danger on mud and grass, and I never found that "after purchase glued soles" were really durable.
Vivobarefoot tracker are a too low considering what I'm looking for and they are, same as the kuuvas, waterproof and expensive.
I don't know about the kuuvas, but I'm looking for a pair of shoes that would be hardwearing, problem with barefoot shoes is that they're usually quite fragile when you do more than just walking in a not so rough environment and working with them
Also I'm looking for a sole a bit stiffer than barefoot stuff. yes I know I'm very specific....

Thanks Deekin, I'll take another look but from what I already searched, I found nothing fitting exactly on those website.

Bison bushcraft shoes in custom height and sole thickness would probably fit but it would be way too expensive at my taste for a boot built so simply.
Why isn't this kind of shoes more popular ? it's really the most versatile kind of shoes I could think of for outdoor life.

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Thanks Janne, never heard of these. Rather ugly if you ask my opinion, but definitely fits the bill except for the price, which is unfortunately an important point to me at the moment.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Austrian army lightweight leather boots. I got two pairs for about 50 quid including postage last year.

Had em over a year, wear both pairs everyday, one for work n "outdoors" use and the other for casual day to day wear.
I dont wear any other footwear. (I just like boots)

Both pairs are like brand new and look better than when they first arrived in the post. Give em a good clean n some dubbin every now n again they love it, they polish up nice too if thats your sort of thing.
Just thought id mention that my high street dr martens were falling to bits after 6 months n i went through 3 pairs in less than two years. (Im stupid i know)

I've been super impressed with them.
Theyve moulded beautifully to the shape of my feet.
Unlined, good, thick quality leather, welted soles, high leg, stitched tongue. I believe 5 eyelets and 4 speed hooks.

They come with a leather insole but you will probably want to put an additional insole on top. I got some cherry blossom gel gel ones and the difference in comfort and posture is night and day as otherwise they are quite flat footed.
The leather insole can be a bit squeaky if it gets damp so i used a bit of baby powder for that.

I got mine from forces uniform and kit and they even threw in a canvas boot bag.

I believe one pair is from 2003 and the other 2011 but got years left in them i reckon. Haha one can hope.

Been thinking of getting a few more pairs my self before they sell out cos they dont make em like that anymore.

Theirs also half lined and fully lined versions, similar to the german para boots but with welted soles not glued, which is a weak point of the german

The photo is an old one from spring last year i might take a more recent one as i just treated the rougher work pair the other day, just so you can see how well they are holding up. They are the older pair dated 2003 closest to the camera in the photo.

Sorry i didnt see that youd said you dont like surplus boots.
Oh well they might be anothers cup of tea.
I know ive ranted on but ive bought boots n boots n never been satisfied until now.
e152a70882ad9d05f892f2ee968fefb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used to buy Greb Kodiak boots for hunting (10-20 days per year).
Usually wrecked a pair every 2 years.
I cut them up = salvaged the leather for all sorts of other little projects.

Buy more. If the odds are that the boots will be dumbed down and cheapened in design/construction,
you owe it to yourself to get ahead of them.
I used to buy shoes that way, 3 pairs at a time.

Reactions: Mowmow

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Not really interested about usual army boots indeed, until now they're all way too stiff and heavy for me, even the ones that were praised for their low weight and flexibility.

Thanks Robson, but if you wreck a pair in two years, using them 20 max days per year, that's less than a 40days lifespan for a shoe.
Considering I use mine almost everyday that's a lot of pair I should buy, and throw away...

Same for mocassin boots, I don't think they would hold up well against rocks, brushes, usually the soles have no thread.
They mostly are city shoes nowadays.
I know an US brand called russel mocassins but it's damn way too expensive for me and there's no way to try them first.

Treadlightly thanks, I already know about these and they don't really fit my needs unfortunately.
Lems don't have high shaft, the tong isn't sewn, inner liner is cotton which is not the best possible choice when you spend your days outside, and tadeevo are simply not outdoor boots.

There's the sole runner vario leather boots, but it's quite expensive still and there's some negative feedback about the durability.
I have the vario desert from this brand, and although I have no problems with the durability, they're not the best when the temperature is low as they constrict the toes, the footbox is not high enough, and the sole are a bit too flexible for my everyday needs.

Seems like there's an almost blank spot on the market regarding what I'm looking for...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE