Unfair Game.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I am surprised that no one has mentioned spears yet. I mean the things with several points the americans call them frog gigs,

When I was a kid we used to go to our local boating lake. It had a seawater inlet so fish came in when small and then couldnt get out. So in the winter we would take various hand made spears (before the days of PC and H&S) and spear flatfish as they sat on the mud at the bottom.
It took a while to get your eye in but eventually we could easily recognise the shape under the water .
Best catch in a day 22. Not bad for twelve year old kids.

GS

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A good way to use baited hooks in an emergency is to attach a short length of line with baited hook to an air-filled container like a water bottle or anything similar to act as a '''drag''', the fish will always come to the suraface as it tires because of the bouyancy of container, also the '''drag''' will allow '''give''' to stop the line breaking off which can happen when attached directly to a stick/branch because of lack of elasticity. Resistance of '''drag''' sets hook, allows fish movement preventing line breakage, and always brings fish to the surface because of greater bouyancy. Anything will do for bouyancy in an emergency even a waterproof dry-bag used by canoeists. --- by the way since Norway was mentioned i have seen reports of salmon disease spreading through the rivers and apparently whole sections have been cleared of all fish in an attempt to combat the spread of the disease, anyone going to Norway may wish to find out as some of these rivers may not be worth fishing at all now, i do not know the full details just seen reports on it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Out of interest, does anybody know the legal status of Pike Scissors or "Gäddsax" for ice fishing in Norway?

images

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i carved this the other day it has plenty of line on and ive drilled the top out to fit abit of terminal tackle in. it is also very light and casts well.
P1020931.jpg

P1020930.jpg

P1020932.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE