Unfair Game.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Btw, if you decide to buy a gill net, this place sells them. Cheap too. They have all the things a man could ask for to make your own emergency kit (It's only worth ordering if you see more things you like obviousy). These nets pack smaller than a fist size and weigh 4 ounces.

I have seen some very nice looking hand made hobo reels on ebay if I remember right they wasn't cheap , I wouldn't like to count on one to be fed in a survival situation either , go with the gill net :)
Those home made lines above are great as well I might have to make myself one of the antler ones nice work

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Try slinging it in the water next time, not on your lawn in Autum.:D

But I did...in the local park last winter. The river Gade flooded and there was a great lake in the park.
Hmmmm. Perhaps setting it in 12 inches of water was being a little over optimistic. :confused:

:p :p :p

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
whilst we are on this subject, would there be any interest in another speedhook group buy?

dont answer here, I dont want to hijack this thread, I'll start another thread in the group buy area

H

High on Hex

Would a mozzie net not suffice as an emergency fish catcher? I asked this question before and it received some favourable responses.

Showing my ignorance, what is an EPIRB? (PM me if you don't want it broadcast on the forum for some reason.)

Ps. Ah.. got it now, a radio beacon.

Yes, very sensible, and ust the sort of thing I would consider for this type of trip, but things happen, stuff breaks down or gets lost in an emergency.

I've always preferred to have more than one option.

as used very publicly recently probably as far from home and remote as you get
tho helo extract is nice
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7599683.stm

options.. carry 2 :D we always dive with full redundancy on Life supporrt kit should get help to you with in the 3 weeks it would take to starve to death anywhere in the world
you can loose or break any thing including the fishing kit :D

ATB

Duncan

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That looks quite neat.

I bought this from markw a while back and I'm building a hobo sea fishing kit around it.

Hobo-Reel.jpg

Some of the ideas from here might make it into that as well.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
we used to use handlines to fish for wrasse off the rocks. you tend to get broken off a lot cos theyre so direct, else you get the thing snatched out your hand when your concentration slips and a big ole wrasse smashes into your bait, so a lanyard/wrist loop aint a bad idea, and a pocket full of spare hooks.

If youre fishing slightly further, might be an idea to try and get some sort of elastic section some ways up your line cos that lack of give will be the problem

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
for targetting wrasse specifically, small hardback crab is as good as any, and easy to find. just take off the shell and legs and use say a 2/0 hook

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Wayland, if you’re thinking of fishing Scandinavia for lake trout/whitefish I have the following advice.
The best bit of kit you can make is called a controller float. This basically adds weight to your hand line so you can cast it out. This can simply be a bit of green wood, the ‘stickier’ it looks the better, you find locally.
Take the main line end (6 lb mono) of your hand line. About a meter up you now tie in three 200mm droppers (little bits of line about 4lb test will do) about 1 meter apart. With a simple 3 turn water knot (see relevant fishing web pages).
Now tie the controller float on the very end of the main line, and a suitable fly to each of the droppers. I would recommend a size 14 ‘klinkerhammer special’ in black or olive.
Now the important bit, try and find some clay like mud on the bank. Put a few flakes of soap or detergent in the fine mud and mix it up. Now take the line and droppers between the float and about 3 meters past the last dropper and rub the mud onto it carefully. This removes the shine from the nylon and the detergent ensures it sinks so the trout don’t see it. (You can buy a proprietary leader sinker if you like)
Check that the hooks are razor sharp (beginner’s mistake), and then spin the controller float around your head and cast out into the lake.
Now lower your profile by sitting down, and let the flies drift naturally, I.e moving with any other surface debris and not being dragged by the line. Try to not let too much slack build up in the line so you can strike.
It doesn’t matter if you can’t see the flies on the surface, the fish can. Look for any swirls about where you think the flies should be. If you hook a fish, don’t **** about; pull it in fast not letting it get a slack line on you. Trout in northern lakes patrol huge areas looking for food. You just sit still and wait for them to come to you. Don’t be tempted to cast at swirls, as this is where the fish was!
When you get good you will see a trout coming by a series of swirls heading to you parallel to the bank. This is exciting stuff.....
This will only work if the wind is light, but can be very effective in the lakes. You will catch a lot more fish than when clumping around on the bank with lures in these still conditions. It’s nice to just sit in the midnight sun and relax after a hard day anyway. Basically trout up their have such a small amount of food available and a short feeding season they will snaffle anything that looks remotely insect like on the surface.
You could buy some small bubble floats you fill with water, but a thick bit of stick works almost as well and there free...:27:

Sorry, I'm late to this thread, but I'll add my own limited experience. When in the jungle with the Aeta tribespeople, we fish the river upstream of the water treatment plant. Cyanide and bombs are therefore no-nos, but otherwise there are no rules. The flow doesn't suit trapping and I don't have the skill for tickling. Instead, we gather conical water snails on the rocks late in the day. At sundown, just after the mozzies have fed, we go frogging on the banks. Later, we fish for eel with a live frog on a hook on a bamboo pole. We use frogs that are too small to eat. Later, we set up a frog on each line and rig the line like a spring snare to set the hook. The latter has never paid off in my experience and so I'm considering a line of speedhooks.

Bats, chicken, rats and pigs are just too smart for us, so snail, frog and fish/eel soup is our only half-way reliable source of meat.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
As a life long angler, its just a tiny bit disconcerting the way so many seem so ready to advocate the use of gill nets. Sure i know the title of this post is unfair fishing, and it concerns a stowaway survival fishing kit, and in such a situation i appreciate that anything goes. But whats the likelihood of such a situation arrising unless at least partially orchestrated, in order to have a gill net with you? Its a little like someone being lost on a moor and claiming that they would have starved. for sure, if it werent for the crossbow they fortunately had

Well gill nets can be used legitimately in the sea, so I don't see the problem with carrying them. They are effective. Longlines are good too but you need to spend time getting bait.

Strangest thing I ever got in a gill net was a hedgehog when I left it out overnight halfway through rigging it. Nightmare getting it out, had to cut the net, but the little guy was fine.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
What i would suggest is a mix of lines, say 6lb, 12lb and 20lb. For coastal / estury fishing your guna want sand eel jigs. Inland lures that mimic roach ect for pike / large perch. I would also suggest hook ranges from 6 - 16 and a few wires traces. If i was in a survival situation i would want to set static lines, around 6 in total, baited with worms that could be checked every few hours.A net is a proven method, but you do need to know where to set one in order for it to be effective. Where as a baited line will bring fish to you and if your fishing estury / costal waters your pretty much guna get flounder. I would also include some mackerel lines in a kit, as they are very easy to catch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE