underpants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I think it is alright and nothing wrong to ask about kit in the kit section, period.
I am concerned about spending money therefore I ask, double think before I buy and try to buy the right stuff. Just now I got a good tip here on the forum to buy honda generator, so I am a kit guy too. I like to buy good stuff, why should we not learn from each other and give each other tips what to buy.

But:

I understand too that some of us and me included are a bit concerned how the forum is developing. Lots of great guys left us, quite a few guys are only coming now and then reading some post and not taking part anymore. Thats a sad thing as we had great discussions still a year ago. I came to the conclusion that we cant change people, but I can try to do my best here. If nothing comes out anymore from the Threads I start or I am getting attacked all the time for the way I live my life up here than I am leaving too. But I will not make a big fuss out of it.
I am sure a new forum will come along one day.

And as we are sharing knowleadge, share tips and tricks--please invite me to a new Bushcraftforum where hunting, trapping and old timers talk are welcome.

edit: Sorry, forgot to tell something about underpants. A great outdoors guy:
"Lars Monsen" buys some cheap underpants use them for quite a while and burns them up in the fire. Then he starts using the next one. Dont know what he is doing when he reaches the last one but I guess then he turns back from the woods. By the way he was the guy who walked throught entire wilderness of canada and alaska with some dogs only.

Varmekilde_723415g.jpg

all the best to all
cheers
Abbe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
nobby said:
Well excuse me you roughty toughty, hard living purists but I really thought that if I asked about underpants in Kit Chatter - General discussions on Clothing and Equipment; then I'd be asking in the right place.

For skinning beaver I may ask in DIY and Traditional crafts - For the hands on stuff, or maybe Flora & Fauna - Animals, plants, trees, fungi, insects and all manner of wildlife... or perhaps Lovely Grub - Foraging, wild food, drink, recipies etc.
Mind you I would wonder if skinning beaver hadn't contributed to the remarkable lack of them in the UK.

Nobby, none of us are saying you can't ask any questions you like, all FR was saying was that he was suprised how keenly the kit threads are used compared to the bushcraft skills ones...especially as it's a bushcraft forum. More of an observation than a dig I'd say...or at least that's how I read it.

Please also bear in mind that we have many many members from other countries where there are still plenty of beaver and other wilds about to hunt and trap for.

FR was just passing comment and I don't see the need for you all to be so defensive.

Johan, thanks for a constructive reply mate, much appriciated :) I may be wrong but I think it was the photos in the BCUK gallery of the dead fox that upset people and that was well after the Fair Game section was created....it doesn't matter either way as I used that only as an example and I'm sure everybody gets the point ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, that was controversial... ;)

I suppose I dont' really want to continue that side discussion, but I do want to address one thing:

falling rain said:
[...] 2,327 threads on kit chatter and 1137 on bushcraft chatter at the top the main section of the forum [...]

Yeah, but there's also 654 in "DIY and Traditional Crafts", 666 (spooky!) in "Bushcraft and Survival Skills", 526 in "Flora and Fauna" and 656 in "Lovely Grub"... The "Bushcraft Chatter" forum just gets everything else that's left over.

Reactions: Toddy

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
bambodoggy said:
Nobby, none of us are saying you can't ask any questions you like, all FR was saying was that he was suprised how keenly the kit threads are used compared to the bushcraft skills ones...especially as it's a bushcraft forum. More of an observation than a dig I'd say...or at least that's how I read it.

Please also bear in mind that we have many many members from other countries where there are still plenty of beaver and other wilds about to hunt and trap for.

FR was just passing comment and I don't see the need for you all to be so defensive.

Johan, thanks for a constructive reply mate, much appriciated :) I may be wrong but I think it was the photos in the BCUK gallery of the dead fox that upset people and that was well after the Fair Game section was created....it doesn't matter either way as I used that only as an example and I'm sure everybody gets the point ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Defensive, moi? Hey forgive me. I asked a question, the thread runs for 20 posts and FR, who apparently has no interest in the thread, passes his comment.
I over reacted at what I supposed was sarcasm but FR later wrote "OK I'll give you that the comment was a little unfair" and then I believed that it was sarcasm.

Now for me, I read all the threads. Where I have something to add I do, but mostly I don't comment because I can't. I'm a city dweller who escapes to the country when he can. I'd have thought that the measure of the success of a thread was the number of views not the number of posts.
I don't give a toss about skinning this that and the other. I got all that out of my system years ago. All I ever skin is rabbit and fish. Pigeon and pheasant I take only the breast meat. I don't need lessons in that. As for beaver, I thought that this was BushcraftUK. Fishing I've asked about on another thread and had some very helpful replies. Plants; I've paid for a course and am waitng on a second one. I've also bought the wild food course materiels.
All I wanted was a comfortable crutch because I'd spent £80 on state of the art kecks that weren't. Just trying not to repeat the error.
If I'm in the wrong place tell me and I'll happily **** off.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I joined in this thread because it was a bit of a laugh and different to the usual threads.

We probably have a thousand threads on which Bushcraft Knife to use and loads on picking wild fungi but how many do we have on underpants and sanitary napkins? :D

Seeing as most of us wear some kind of underwear we all have our two cents worth to contribute. I think most of us were just trying to have a bit of fun and discuss something lightweight (literally :D ).

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Ah who'd have thought a thread about underwear could get so hot and heated. :D

I recently got a pair of Magnum Men's Boxer Brief in black and on a hot day in the beginning of May went up to Rannoch Moor to have a look for some sites. Well as I said it was a hot day and after six hours of walking about got the train home, when I got home went for a shower and was quite surprised to see that the top of my legs and bits where dyed red. :eek:

If your going to buy Magnum Men's Boxer Brief in black you'd better wash them a couple of times. Great boxer's would recommend these.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
really now, can't we just choose our own? :confused:

has bushcraft got so fanatic that we need to know what everyone else is wearing? :lmao:

i thought the bush hat and swannidry were bad enough!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It never ceases to amaze me how people can make an issue out of just about anything :rolleyes:

Falling Rain, As you say, most of the stuff you post is very good, very helpful, but your post here was really unhelpful. If it were not for your hijacking having become so mixed with the original content of the thread, I would split your comments and all the subsequent discussion to another thread. It still might be better to do so. You have valid points about human kit facination, it is not confined to bushcraft, but Nobby's thread wasn't the place to raise it.

I thought that this was a good thread. There is little point in wearing wool, which is warm when wet, or fast drying synthetic outers, while you are far from the beaten track, if your base layers are damp, chilly, cotton. This was brought home to me last year on a week long canoe expedition in Scotland.

I myself have yet to find what I consider to be good underwear for extended trips, so am more than interested in what other people have found to work. I think I will be checking out some of the suggestions that were made early on.

Nobby, thanks for asking the question. I hope I will have learned something that will keep me more comfortable in the field as a result.

leon-1

Well folks it depends on where you are and what the weather conditions, in the jungle I use speedo swimming shorts (very similair to cycling shorts, but no padding), in dry hot commando is a reasonable option, in the UK most of the time just cotton boxers are fine most of the time.

However speak to any serviceman or woman and they will tell you that each and everyone of us is different and that what works for me may not work for the other guy as we have different skin types.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just for the info is it worth starting the thread again?

FYOI

99% of the time i wear standard cotton pants(not Y-front) don't know the name,don't like boxers not enough support(too much info? :eek: ).

commando? only in the bath and with wife ;)

the only time i wore anything else was up mountains in winter when i wore cotton/poly mix wicking longjohns.

swimming shorts under wet suit for kayaking/canoeing.

and padded cycling shorts only when on a bike (the only time they should be worn!)

:rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Same as always, if you're not interested don't read it or bother commenting on it. If you've got a valid point, start a thread for it and people can have a chat. It's not fair taking someone’s thread way off topic because you’ve got an issue.

The forum is fairly well split between bushcraft and kit, taking just the bushcraft chatter as a comparison to Kit chatter is a bit misleading when most of the sub forums in the bushcraft section are about bushcraft, not just the bushcraft chatter.

Some of the kit chatter can seem over the top, but that doesn't detract from the other forums unless you decide it does for you, I read the bushcraft forums a lot more than the kit ones, that's my personal preference. If I, or one of the Mods had done what you guys did you'd be crying foul and going on about how bad it is that we would stop someone talking about something just because we don't like it. Stick to the subjects you enjoy, easy as that.

This is a simple thread, started with a simple question, why does it have to get so heavy....no need for it.

Anyway....you were talking about underpants.... :D

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Yes indeed, Pants. :D

Tesco's Cotton most of the time, but if I am going up the Hill in bad weather, or know that theres river crossings involved then it's Lowe Alpine Pants.

In the depths of Winter it's on with the Lowe Alpine/HH Lifa longjohns and they stay on till the next June! :p

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Right. I formerly apologise for ranting on a bit yesterday. This isn't like me as I hope anyone who's met me would agree, I got a bit carried away. Nobby no offence intended. and I'm not as senior as yourself but not too young either 43 this year :eek: Beavers are indeed not found in the UK and this is indeed Bushcraft UK, but people do travel nobby and we do have many friends on here from Canada and the US amongst other places. It wasn't meant literally it was just the first thing that popped into my head.
I'm not going to go on anymore about all this and it all got a bit out of hand. I was simply surprised that a thread on pants could generate SO much interest. It's a decision I can make myself as I'm a big lad now............ And that is not supposed to be sarcastic. It's a simple decision that I don't need advice on although I'm accepting that some would like some advice on pants. I suppose I'm forgetting that some people don't have knowledge about different properties of materials.
Apologies again, and I'm now going to carefully craft a thread on something like .........well skinning beavers :)

Reactions: Seagull

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
falling rain said:
Beavers are indeed not found in the UK

I beg to differ...:lmao: ;)

Oh, and I've been wearing tight fitting lycra shorts for years now, as I find cotton boxers very uncomfy as I keep falling out the bottom of them, if you know what I mean, and that's most uncomfy. One prefers to feel 'contained'...

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Been reading this thread with interest if I'm doing a lot of walking I often find with that my boxers will ride up and often I end up with the dreaded "inner thigh chaffing (sp?)" so I've been looking for some others to try for a while. Trouble I'm finding is that all the technical garments such as the merino wool which look ideal are about £25-30 per pair and I'm loathe to spend this amount if they're not going to do the job. Going bare is an option but even then if you're active you're opening yourself up to either injury or again skin against skin rubbing.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm getting worried that we are spending a lot of time discussing underpants! Hope it doesn't say something about the people who view this site!! What would a physicologist have to say I wonder?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Thing is a lot of people spend a lot of time talking about kit but underwear is actually a fundamental base layer but unfortuately a lot of people don't want to talk about and may just suffer, I think its great that we can discuss this on here and get some sensible answers.

Matt

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's also probably one of the things that most people here will have experience with and be able to relate to.
Specific questions about bushcraft techniques and even bits of kit will only produce some answers because not everyone will have experienced it.
Underpants though, evereyone has an opinion based on expereince and fact - even Superman wears them - although admittedly on the outside of his tights !!! ;)
The point is this is something everyone can relate to.

I'm with you Lithril, skin on skin chaffing is no fun, I suffer more and more in the summer months :( So if I'm walking round at the moot like I've just gotten off a horse - I probably haven't ;) :rolleyes:

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE