underpants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Quite amazing....... A thread about UNDERPANTS can generate 22 replies :confused: but a thread/discussion on plants can only generate about 7. what pants does Ray wear because I have to get some so I can be like him :dunno:

Out of here. We'll still go fishing by the way all those who have paid their deposits. See you on the 10th Sept down at Widecombe

Reactions: Mr Cake

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hmm does seem a bit strange............ :bluThinki

I think that comment "so i can be like him<RM>" is a bit unfair Falling Rain.

I have to admit to being a bit of a kit junkie, and yes i have bought a good few items of my outdoor equipment from the Woodlore website or found the same items cheaper elswhere.
My philosophy on this is i am in no way as serious about the outdoors as Mr Mears. I do spend a lot of time outdoors walking, shooting, fishing etc but not in the same way. I therefore work on the principle that if it works for him in the extreme situations he uses it in, then my comparitavley puny outdoor efforts will make the equipment nearly bombproof! :D

So far i am happy to say that theory has been proved correct :)

On the subject of undies....Helly Hanson shorts (and Ray does not use those....as far as i know :eek: , that could be TOO much information!)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I like M&S shreddies. They are like Yfront shorts but a much closer fit than boxers. I, obviously, can't remember the proper name however, I can't do briefs when out and about as everything just gets to hot and it all rubs, and I just can't do the commando thing or boxers as I like to know where everything is tucked away, if you get my drift.

In the winter I go for army long johns which are just so comfy. So much so that I'll often change into them when I get home from work on a cold night, which is much to my wifes discussed. :)

Pib

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
ArkAngel said:
Hmm does seem a bit strange............ :bluThinki

I think that comment "so i can be like him<RM>" is a bit unfair Falling Rain.

I have to admit to being a bit of a kit junkie, and yes i have bought a good few items of my outdoor equipment from the Woodlore website or found the same items cheaper elswhere.
My philosophy on this is i am in no way as serious about the outdoors as Mr Mears. I do spend a lot of time outdoors walking, shooting, fishing etc but not in the same way. I therefore work on the principle that if it works for him in the extreme situations he uses it in, then my comparitavley puny outdoor efforts will make the equipment nearly bombproof! :D

So far i am happy to say that theory has been proved correct :)

On the subject of undies....Helly Hanson shorts (and Ray does not use those....as far as i know :eek: , that could be TOO much information!)

OK I'll give you that the comment was a little unfair. It just amazes me and I've said this before that a thread on underpants can generate so many comments but if someone tries to start a thread on something bushcraft connected it fizzles out, and nobody wants to know. This is a bushcraft forum I respect peoples knowledge on here and some of the contributors have a great deal of knowledge and the people I mean will know themselves who I'm talking about, I've met a lot of them. There are a lot of people who are just interested in kit. 'All the gear but no idea'
I just can't believe there is so much talk about what flipping hammock have you got and what socks do you wear for heavens sake someone start a thread on skinning beavers or something!!!!!!
I realise kit is relevant and it should be discussed about the pros and cons of this or that jacket etc etc. I just can't believe there's so much talk about kit and so little interest when someone tries to start a thread on something to do with bushcraft. I've tried myself as have others to start a thread on something new for a change instead of the same old 'how many pockets have you got in your flipping hat and what do you keep in that pocket' or 'how big is your rucksack' tell us about your bushcraft experiences, your canoing trip or hike. Sorry to be and old moaner but come on lets make it interesting

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yup and in the spirit of goodwill i agree wholeheartedly with you. There does have to be a limit on how much kit you own as i believe the whole point of Bushcraft is to be as minimal in the kit department as possible.

The entire spirit is to carry the knowledge of how to make your kit in the backcountry so you dont have to carry 3/4 of a tonne of gear with you.

From a purely selfish point of view, i now have all the kit i could ever require...i now want to learn how to use it properly and ultimately increase my skill level so i can leave more of it at home :D :eek:

Advice is good.....but don't take it as gospel truth.
Use what works for you, and if you make a few mistakes on the way or a couple of poor kit choices learn from them. No two kit choices should be the same IMO as we are all different.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
OK maybe I was a little harsh. I've said my bit, but 2,327 threads on kit chatter and 1137 on bushcraft chatter at the top the main section of the forum :confused:
Maybe we can discuss how big our nipples are. Mine are about the size of a couple of tuppenny bits and are there any dis-advantages in having small nipples - sorry just being sarcastic now but come on guys a discussion about underpants on a bushcraft forum sort of takes it a bit far for me and plumbs new depths of anorakishness :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

I think a lot of the bias comes from the folks joining the forum looking for very basic information. There's a security in the assurance that at least the equipment they take is of good, recommended quality. The underpants thing is simply comfort :p
There is also the simple fact that folks are inclined to add onto a plant thread when they'll start a new thread on kit :rolleyes:

Me? I like threads on making things. From fire to shelter, plant use to cooking, cordage to nets, etc.,.

Cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
falling rain said:
OK I'll give you that the comment was a little unfair. It just amazes me and I've said this before that a thread on underpants can generate so many comments but if someone tries to start a thread on something bushcraft connected it fizzles out, and nobody wants to know.

offtopic.gif

People do want to know. But threads started about a bushcraft connected subject are most of the time very specific. If an answer is given there's no need to continue milking it out.

Mate in all respect, but if people want to start a thread on underpants they are free to do so. Underpants can be an essential item of your kit depending your location. Discussing what kind people wear, and which work for them is what this forum is about aswell! The amount of replies in this thread is because there are more people who wear underpant than know everything in detail about plants or the fire drill or flint knapping. Because these are 'expert' ish subjects.
Underpants are for most of us every day life, and thus people can make a reference and contribute to a thread with their bit of information.

This is a bushcraft forum I respect peoples knowledge on here and some of the contributors have a great deal of knowledge and the people I mean will know themselves who I'm talking about, I've met a lot of them. There are a lot of people who are just interested in kit. 'All the gear but no idea'
I just can't believe there is so much talk about what flipping hammock have you got and what socks do you wear for heavens sake someone start a thread on skinning beavers or something!!!!!!

If you come across such a thread you don't have to read it. Especially if it irritates you. Life is that simple.

I realise kit is relevant and it should be discussed about the pros and cons of this or that jacket etc etc. I just can't believe there's so much talk about kit and so little interest when someone tries to start a thread on something to do with bushcraft. I've tried myself as have others to start a thread on something new for a change instead of the same old 'how many pockets have you got in your flipping hat and what do you keep in that pocket' or 'how big is your rucksack'

Kit is elementary untill your skills are of such high level you can without mod cons. Alot of people on this forum are newbies. (The last year there where about a 1000 new members). Not all of them are experts. They only begin with a hobby that covers so much subjects. Good kit (and thus discussion) is needed, especially in the learning proces the most of us are - even if it's about the amount of pockets (I would like to know it before I even consider to buy a piece of kit), or what you keep in your hat (is the pocket big enough for a beer, or is it big enough for some plasters?)

tell us about your bushcraft experiences, your canoing trip or hike. Sorry to be and old moaner but come on lets make it interesting

Please show us the way and / or continue to do so :cool:

falling rain said:
OK maybe I was a little harsh. I've said my bit, but 2,327 threads on kit chatter and 1137 on bushcraft chatter at the top the main section of the forum :confused:
Maybe we can discuss how big our nipples are. Mine are about the size of a couple of tuppenny bits and are there any dis-advantages in having small nipples - sorry just being sarcastic now but come on guys a discussion about underpants on a bushcraft forum sort of takes it a bit far for me and plumbs new depths of anorakishness :eek:

This sort of sarcasm can easily be understand in the wrong way dude ...

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
falling rain said:
for heavens sake someone start a thread on skinning beavers or something!!!!!!

Iirc Abbe started a thread on how to skin a fox a while ago and had some really useful photo's with a sort of "how to" guide....unfortunately so many people on here complained that the pictures were yucky (bit of blood and obviously a dead fox) and it got taken down....shame really but it seems to many that kit is more important than skills......

Until you lose, break or forget the kit that is ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Reactions: capacious

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The whole picture is surely the issue which is being dealt with by the forum, whether it's kit monsters chatting about gear, carvers talking about tools and styles or people discussing skinning a fox.

Personally, I believe that most of the people on here have provided me with a wealth of info, I mean I have just taken a minute break from making my £5 sharpening kit project to respond, found useful by new and old alike. I'm happy to discuss my shreddies if it allows someone to enjoy the experience of being out and about.

That said, I do find it tough going some days when a really good thread never takes off the ground!

Right back to the Blue Peter project!

Pib

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
bambodoggy said:
Iirc Abbe started a thread on how to skin a fox a while ago and had some really useful photo's with a sort of "how to" guide....unfortunately so many people on here complained that the pictures were yucky (bit of blood and obviously a dead fox) and it got taken down....shame really but it seems to many that kit is more important than skills......

Cheers,

Exactly BAM. Skinning a fox or any animal is a real bushcraft skill, and exactly the type of thing that we should be discussing I didn't see that thread but would have liked to because I have skinned animals and was shown how to by another forum member who is a friend of mine. I would have liked to see Abbe's take on things. I can't see why it was taken down. This is after all a bushcraft forum and skinning is a bushcraft skill. As has been pointed out by Ahjno you don't have to look at it if you don't want to
Ahjno - You are of course right I don't need to read the underpants thread, and people are indeed free to discuss anything they wish including underpants. My point was that if I or anyone else tries to start a thread about a bushcraft skill it often (not always but often) ends up a damp squib which leads me to believe that people (not everyone) are more into discussing their titanium cup or their super duper sleeping bag to death and 'milking it' as you put it. They are kit fiends pure and simple which again is fine if that's the bag you're into. I'm not irritated about the thread just a little upset that when someone starts a really good thread about a bushcraft skill it OFTEN (not always) peter's out, but a thread about a pocket in a hat or underpants (in question) can go on for ever so an awful lot of people are I believe armchair bushcrafters (again nothing wrong with that either)
If these people havn't got many skills that's fine, so why arn't they (not everybody) asking questions about skills, instead of asking what socks does everybody wear. I love learning, and boy have I still got a lot to learn. This I stress once more is a bushcraft forum and there are a lot of threads started about bushcraft but in my own personal opinion loads about kit. ( I know, I don't have to read them if I don't want to) Bushcraft is about the art of doing without kit or at least having the minimum. Skills are learnt by getting out there and practicing. I've seen people with all the gear and not a clue about any skills, Which is fine we all started somewhere but I have to ask myself are these the same people talking about kit on here all the time and if they REALLY are into bushcraft shouldn't there be a lot more discussions on skills. I also think some people are surprised at how much hard work and patience required some of the skills can be to learn. Ray makes it all look so easy. I teach bushcraft sometimes to various groups and I had a person turn up for an event I was running looking like a clone of Ray Mears with all the kit even down to the knife. No problem there at all, but I taught the group fire by friction to start with and after a half hearted attempt, he gave up and started chatting about kit to another person in the group. He didn't want to learn it because it required a bit of effort. Well at least he certainly looked the part.
The nipple comment was supposed to be light hearted to show some humour and wasn't meant to offend anybody. Everyone's sense of humour is different. If you were offended I apologise. :eek: Calling someone 'Dude' could also be construed as offensive to some people.....although not to me. :) Peace

Steven andrews, I'm touched that you took the trouble to trawl up those 2 threads and I've NEVER said I havn't asked about ANY kit ever. You are missing my point. I have posted just over 500 posts since 2003 and you've found 2 on kit that I posted. Good for you. :headbang: There may well be a few more but the the vast, vast majority of my posts or starting threads are asking for, or offering advice on bushcraft skills. I find that extremely sad that you went to the trouble of trawling out those 2 links. See if you can find some more go on enjoy yourself.

I've said all I have to say on this and am not getting into an argument about it and am getting bored with my own words.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
bambodoggy said:

Cheers,

falling rain said:
Exactly BAM. Skinning a fox or any animal is a real bushcraft skill, and exactly the type of thing that we should be discussing I didn't see that thread but would have liked to because I have skinned animals and was shown how to by another forum member who is a friend of mine. I would have liked to see Abbe's take on things. I can't see why it was taken down. This is after all a bushcraft forum and skinning is a bushcraft skill. As has been pointed out by Ahjno you don't have to look at it if you don't want to

The thread was removed before the Fair Game section was created. If he did it afterwards it would have there and available for everyone interested.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showpost.php?p=112474&postcount=58
Second alinea of the thread, written by Abbe.

Ahjno - You are of course right I don't need to read the underpants thread, and people are indeed free to discuss anything they wish including underpants.

My point was that if I or anyone else tries to start a thread about a bushcraft skill it often (not always but often) ends up a damp squib which leads me to believe that people (not everyone) are more into discussing their titanium cup or their super duper sleeping bag to death and 'milking it' as you put it.
They are kit fiends pure and simple which again is fine if that's the bag you're into.

I'm not irritated about the thread just a little upset that when someone starts a really good thread about a bushcraft skill it OFTEN (not always) peter's out, but a thread about a pocket in a hat or underpants (in question) can go on for ever so an awful lot of people are I believe armchair bushcrafters (again nothing wrong with that either)

If these people havn't got many skills that's fine, so why arn't they (not everybody) asking questions about skills, instead of asking what socks does everybody wear. I love learning, and boy have I still got a lot to learn. This I stress once more is a bushcraft forum and there are a lot of threads started about bushcraft but in my own personal opinion loads about kit. ( I know, I don't have to read them if I don't want to) Bushcraft is about the art of doing without kit or at least having the minimum.

Skills are learnt by getting out there and practicing. I've seen people with all the gear and not a clue about any skills, Which is fine we all started somewhere but I have to ask myself are these the same people talking about kit on here all the time and if they REALLY are into bushcraft shouldn't there be a lot more discussions on skills. I also think some people are surprised at how much hard work and patience required some of the skills can be to learn. Ray makes it all look so easy. I teach bushcraft sometimes to various groups and I had a person turn up for an event I was running looking like a clone of Ray Mears with all the kit even down to the knife. No problem there at all, but I taught the group fire by friction to start with and after a half hearted attempt, he gave up and started chatting about kit to another person in the group. He didn't want to learn it because it required a bit of effort. Well at least he certainly looked the part.

The nipple comment was supposed to be light hearted to show some humour and wasn't meant to offend anybody. Everyone's sense of humour is different. If you were offended I apologise. :eek: Calling someone 'Dude' could also be construed as offensive to some people.....although not to me. :) Peace

That clears things up. Thanks for posting, as it gives people (incl. me) more grip on why you are against underpants ;) :p :lmao:

No apologise needed my friend. I've got a big sense of humour - and I've got something better to do than getting offended by an internet post ;)
The dude thing, although you're not offended: my appologise - never knew that, and you learnt me something new about your language, which is cool :D

I you want to have a chat / discuss you're above mentioned upset feelings, feel free to PM. As I have them too, but on other matters.

To put the thread back on topic:
I wear either boxers or normal underpants, depending the wheather (hot cold). When I have a few very old ones I wear those and burn them of when I can and change into a spare. Saves washing too ;)

No expensive high tech undies for me as I'm very occupied with uni / studying so I'm out on an irregular base and thus not really need it.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Well excuse me you roughty toughty, hard living purists but I really thought that if I asked about underpants in Kit Chatter - General discussions on Clothing and Equipment; then I'd be asking in the right place.

For skinning beaver I may ask in DIY and Traditional crafts - For the hands on stuff, or maybe Flora & Fauna - Animals, plants, trees, fungi, insects and all manner of wildlife... or perhaps Lovely Grub - Foraging, wild food, drink, recipies etc.
Mind you I would wonder if skinning beaver hadn't contributed to the remarkable lack of them in the UK.

Finally, RM's nuts have, most likely, been comfier than mine. I have, however, started wearing the M&S Autographs as suggested by some kind soul who took the question as it was meant.
If your 'bushcrafty' threads aren't getting a following you might try thinking about why rather than attacking those of us genuinely seeking useful information.
As for newcomers, when I was a Scub some 40 years plus ago we did this 'bushcraft' most weekends. We used the Greenline bus to get into the countryside and just called it wood or camp craft. Too young for pretension, I expect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE