underpants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
What are people wearing?
I've tried Odlo and worn 4 pair to holes at £20 a pair so I'm not happy with them. M&S finest in briefs of long leg rub.
I've read that RM wears cycling shorts but I'd guess they are difficult to dry.
Any experiences?
Cheers

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Cheapest cotton breifs from my local Poundstencher... I mean, how good can a pair of skiddies be?

Although I may go back to commando if this hot, humid weather keeps up...

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
gregorach said:
Although I may go back to commando if this hot, humid weather keeps up...

:eek:

Up there? With the midgies...

I also just use any old cotton kecks :) Mind you, being a kit obsessive I've been tempted to try out some of the thinner Merino ones (Howies do some that look OK). They're expensive though, and I do tend to find the base layer tops a bit hot - wouldn't want anything too warm 'down there'...

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
According to his "Essential Bushcraft" book, he wears cotton underwear, but says that some people prefer cycling shorts or swimming trunks.

Cotton boxers here and Army long johns in the winter. Just my preference.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I dont' wear 'em in the bush. Period.

Although in the fall and winter I'll wear either my Lifa Active polypro tops and bottoms, or if the weather's really chilly then a pair of heavyweight Malden Mills Polartec tops and bottoms. I much prefer the Lifa though, it's more comfortable, dries much quicker and doesn't feel clammy in the least bit. (That's what you get when you're wearing a fibre that only absorbs 0.01% of it's weight in moisture)

Adam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
steven andrews said:
I've been impressed with the silk briefs that I got from Patra. (Somebody here recommended them :35: )

http://www.patra.com/

They dry out really quickly and don't end up all clammy like cotton skiddies.

Good things aren't they :) .....the ladies ones have been excellent both winter and summer :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
CK's boxer briefs all the way. I dont own anything else. You can get multipacks from TK max quite cheaply. I've seen em 3 for £20, though if you buy em off the high street, they're £20/pair..

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
fred gordon said:
Tesco's packs of 3! various styles and you can always start a fire with them.

I gave this a lot of thought before going to Marks and Sparks and buying the Autograph ones. Do I really want to cook my dinner over my underpants? I think not!

If these don't work I'll try the silk; I assume that lace is optional?
:0)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
You don't want to wear cycling shorts for bushcraft, they have padding in them which isn't needed. Gym shorts are just tight lycra shorts and should be fine. They dry very quickly, also since they are close to the skin they don't trap a layer of air so tend to be fairly cool.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Next or M&S pure cotton briefs for me.

I've tried a variety of boxes in a variety of materials and I've tried the stretch boxers but the wee fellow and his friends roam around too much in them, especially in the summer and I'm forever trying to straighten myself up. And as for horse riding with boxers on, I found it rather painful.

I've also tried wearing no underwear which is fine with some trousers and shorts, I like the cool air, but with others it can be uncomfortable. Running can also be a bit uncomfortable with no undies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE