I'm on the quest - can you help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm looking for trousers BUT I am hoping to find some that tick the following boxes:
  1. I would like them to be strongly water resistant. Waterproof is probably out of the question as...
  2. I don't want them to feel or sound nylon-y/synthetic;
  3. I would like them to be quick drying;
  4. I don't want them made of a thick (hot) fabric;
  5. I don't want thousands of pockets or a button fly - zip only;
  6. Muted colours, preferably no camouflage, are a must;
  7. A practical cut is essential as well as a 34" leg length.

Now, I have tried the offerings from Fjallraven (OK; I like the quick-drying fabric but the cut and pockets are a bit weird sometimes), Arborwear and Cactus (great cut but stiff and boardy and takes years to dry out), Vertx (very comfy but wear out rather quickly; slow to dry), 5.11 (over pocketed; not sure about the slightly slimy fabric on the pair I've got) and Klattermusen (OK but slow to dry, painfully expensive and are difficult to use outside the outdoors life).

Are there any other trousers out there that would work well in a bushcraft environment and tick the boxes above? Any suggestions would be gratefully received! Oh, lest I forget, if they are readily available in the U.K., that would be more than helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for the suggestions. I do like the look of the Buffalo and SwedTeam options; I'll have to see if I can't track down some of the Haglofs and Montanes as well as the British Army lightweights though, historically, I've always had difficulty finding a pair that are long enough. If they're right around the waist, they're usually too short; if they're right in the leg, they would fit two of me in the waist.

I'll track these down and let you know how I get on. In the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming - they are greatly appreciated!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...
  1. I don't want them to feel or sound nylon-y/synthetic;
  2. I would like them to be quick drying;
  3. I don't want them made of a thick (hot) fabric;
  4. I don't want thousands of pockets or a button fly - zip only;
  5. Muted colours, preferably no camouflage, are a must;
  6. A practical cut is essential as well as a 34" leg length..."

For a long time my travel trouser of choice was the Rohan Goa, which was pretty rain resistant, dried in no time, was synthetic but didn't feel like it was, minimal number of pockets, comfy to wear and supplied in a nice dark green.

They do not produce the Goa anymore but there will be something similar in the range, if there is a Rohan store nearby it would be worth your while to check out what they have to offer.

If money is no object and you can put up with a couple of thigh cargo pockets then the Norrona Recon trouser is completely waterproof and are easily the most comfortable synthetic trouser I have ever worn.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sprayway all day trousers I think is the name of them. They're a waterproof trouser but look like ordinary poly-cotton walking trousers. Think they're not too synthetic and plain in looks without too many pockets. Feel like normal trousers.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Keela do some trousers that seem quite long in the leg. I'm tall and for awhile they were the only outdoors trousers that fitted me in leg length and waist. Usually I have to get a huge waist to get long enough leg. Trouble with keela trousers is they are very variable in leg length. I had a local retailer who used to keep back any that had a longer leg in my waist size. It was sometimes 2"difference!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Tried many and always go back to Bear Grylls Survivor trs or my British Army Lightweights and like what others have said you cant fault these.

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
Black rugby shorts over merino long johns is a New Zealand all weather favorite. The merino drys fast. Keeps you warm stops scratches. The rugby shorts keep it midest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE