Underground oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2020
the world
Hi guys!!:)

I want to share with u my latest project, I wanted to try to make a primitive kind of Oven to be able to cook pizza, bread, etc...
So I started to dig a hole in the ground and then I made the structure using stone, I built three walls then I put in the middle a big flat stone for the cooking, then I continued up with the walls and I put another big stone as the roof after I covered everything with dirt.
I tried to bake a pizza and it came perfect, Maybe next time to cook it faster I can try to put a stone in front of the pizza to keep the heat in even more.

Did u ever try to make a bushcraft oven? if yes I would like to see your pictures:)

Regards

Meen

yv9WE5.jpg

Uuc0y1.jpg
Hm07rA.jpg
seUGDc.jpg
ZMuQo2.jpg
GrsYaU.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That looks great and realy tasty.
You are a very clever young lady!
I have done this year's ago but sadly no pics. Must make one again someday.
I made soda bread in mine... and burned the bottom of it! :) but it made a good soda bread.

Reactions: ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD
Sep 8, 2020
the world
That looks great and realy tasty.
You are a very clever young lady!
I have done this year's ago but sadly no pics. Must make one again someday.
I made soda bread in mine... and burned the bottom of it! :) but it made a good soda bread.
Thank you!
I just try ;)
Oh really? that's cool!!
I think it tastes better !

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Bravo, Bella, Bravo!
:encourage:

As yoy obviously spend a lot of time there I think you should ask the landowner about the drinking water quality and if he can't tell it you, perhaps try to search the real well and take this water to an analysis laboratory. And inform as a revange the landowner about the results, if it isn't too expensive.
As you seem to develop there a neolithic camp, you could now plant berries there in places where it looks relatively whet and where is half sun half shadow.
The plants are relatively cheap. You also could try to plant in the right surroundings edible wild plants. The seed you would perhaps get very cheap. Mediterranean herbs would surely work too, but modern vegetables only if you have the time to water them every evening during the next summer. That's a lot of work with neolithic tools but surely a lot of fun as well.

If you continue like that and don't plan to construct castle and church, you need to think about a project for next year. But berry planting time is in Italy now!

I really think you also should inform yourself about neolithic techniques and tools and develop the whole thing in this direction.

From a survival aspect you already did quite a lot and will reach pretty fast an end if you don't go into direction stone age in this camp.

I already asked you about your poncho. To develop a lightweight bushcraft hiking and camping g equipment is very interesting too of course, but a different thing than the options you have there with land owners permission.

But don't dig out wild plants! That isn't allowed in Germany and European laws are pretty similar. That's because the chance that you would kill them would be higher than to help them growing somewhere else. You have to inform yourself about what's legal and what's not.

Even if I own land in Europe, I can't do on it what I want to. Such a shelter would for example be illegal in German forests. OK, usually nobody cares, but only one size larger here would cause problems with a relatively high chance.

You will see that a lot isn't allowed, but all the rest is OK, and that's far more.
In Germany I am for example not allowed to pitch a tent in the forest.
But I can walk around and also sleep there, because the law doesn't say anything about bivvy bags, sleeping bags or woolen blankets or ponchos. Just the tents aren't allowed! In the forest, outside they are OK! It's necessary to understand that system of laws.

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here and the on the finnish and swedish coast and islands there are remnants of old stone ovens. Made by the russians when they plundered the coast in the 1700`s.
That is what I thought too, though all the ones I have seen are above ground level often built on level rock.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it's like that, you can do it also.

Just engrave in one of the stones in cyrillic letters "Ivan was here" and it's probably OK.

:biggrin:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There are newer ones too that local people used if their house was too small for a baking oven.
Example photo from 1919:
Thanks for that, actually news for me, never seen a bread owen outside the house except in Greece where that makes more sense. (Our guide in Greece was half dutch and she told that this way of making bread is unique. Had to tell her that not quite so. Funny that even the tools used with the owen were quite like their counterparts here in the north.)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We had and sometimes still have a commune oven too in german vilages, outside in the main street.

I guess it's more effective like that especially in the summer.

Reactions: ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE