Under or Over?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
When creating sparks from a steel and flint do you hold your charcloth under, or over the flint?

As a novice, and someone who's only done it a few times, I've held it over [which worked] - because that's what the Youtube vid I watched showed.

But on Mountain Men last night, a fella said hold it under as the sparks will drop.

Does it make any difference?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was taught to hold it over as the spark is produced on the downstroke, so the red hot metal shavings that come off the steel are on top of the flint. Under would work, but take longer.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was taught to hold it over as the spark is produced on the downstroke, so the red hot metal shavings that come off the steel are on top of the flint. Under would work, but take longer.

Actually, on thinking about it, it depends on technique.

If you're holding the flint still and moving the steel downwards to produce the shavings then on top is best.

However... if you're holding the steel still and moving the flint downwards then on bottom is best as demonstrated in the video by Wayland and he gets a spark to take very quickly with good technique :)

[video=youtube;pmTssR5csdg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTssR5csdg[/video]

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks guys.

In my mind I could not see why it was a good idea to have it under - it just goes to prove some of my doubts about some of the skills of guys on TV programmes who are supposed experts.

Thanks for the vid Mesquite - on TV it was the steel that was being moved, but it's great to see another way of doing things - it's always good to know the options as sometimes a simple change can make all the difference.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I always put it on top, second nature, cloth on top of flint and move the steel rather than the flint, very easy to get char cloth going, I think because i've never had an issue i've just kept on doing it that way, I will be copying Wayland though and see if that works for me. Goes to show how easy it is to limit our own options....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE