Ullfrotte 400

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
So i've been interested in the Ullfronte 400 and was reading today about the polyamide lining . One of the nice things about wool is its ability to keep body odor at bay. So how does the polyamide layer affect this . Anyone have info on this.

bill

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got the ulfrotte 400 bodywarmer type vest,and the polyamide isnt a lining its a small percentage mixed with the wool and to be honest not noticable, nifact i dont know why they put it in,i think its so the wool keeps its shape? but mine doesnt lovely and warm but a bit saggy.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The only thing to watch with the Ullefrotte mid-layer-type garments is not to wear them as an outer layer when pushing through brush etc, as they will get snagged and pick up all sorts of bits, impossible to get off.

They are superb as layers next to the skin as the terry-style lining makes then very soft, non-itchy and warm. They never get smelly either, despite the polyamide.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Been meaning to get myself some Ullfrotte thermals. Looks like good stuff. Picked up a pair of their Woolpower socks (not sure of the weight rating) and they are plenty warm for what they are. Not sure if they would stand up too well being worn day-in-day-out as the wool is a little soft tho (guess that echoes Nonsuch's advice really).

I don't know if the socks are supposed to be a blend with synthetics like the thermals but stink hasn't really been an issue with them.

Anyone know a good UK source for them? UK Kit Monster used to have them but alas no more, and I can't imagine the postage from Sweden being too cheap.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Ive got the 400 gram full zip jacket. The polyamide is mixed with the wool to improve its durability. 100 percent pure wool isnt very durable, buy a Icebreaker product and youll know what i mean.

Youll love Woolpower.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
100 percent pure lightweight merino wool isnt very durable, buy a Icebreaker product and youll know what i mean.
Fixed that for you. Coarser, heavier wool is more durable. Plenty of pure wool garments last for ages (military sweaters fe.).

I have several shirts in Woolpower 200g that developed small holes, but they're still nice & comfy to wear. A pair of knee high socks in 200g even started showing holes after wearing them for only 3 days, Woolpower service was very friendly and immediately sent me a replacement pair after I explained.
My 600g full zip jacket feels much more robust, obviously.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE