UK version of Alone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Definite skill and experience level difference in contestant choice from US and UK version.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, I don't have a TV, so I'm not able to watch it sadly. From that review, it sounds like the contestants have been picked to show how useless the Brits are in the great outdoors, and embarrass the nation.
I have followed girl outdoors and bush radical and wonyia for years, and if with their knowledge and expertise they found it tough...heaven help these inexperienced people.
I wish them all the best, and hope they learn fast.
A few days orientation is not enough for those conditions.
Experience is what counts. This could be a short series!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Would seem to be. I wonder how much of a pre-briefing session the candidates get on the environment.

They had 9 days training, would have been interesting to see that. And how much was split between survival, first aid/trauma and camera operating.

Blog post here says they were also given basic provisions for 7 days. https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/blog/alone

No idea what they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I enjoyed watching a program about the hobby I practise all be it never this extreme and honestly I'd have to practise alot more to want to try to be out for that long on my own or not.
Plus it's only the 1st episode, but blimey us Brit's swear a lot.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've watched the first couple of episodes and it's been interesting to see how the Brits have coped with the unfamiliar surroundings, not least the predators. I don't believe that the series has been staged in anyway, nor do I believe that any of the previous series have been staged or influenced by the production team. It's a genuinely fascinating reality series and that's not something that I'll say about any other reality series on telly!

There is one thing that gave me cause for concern though and that's the skillset of the current crop of competitors.

Previous series have brought together contestants who are proficient when it comes to bushcraft/hunting/survival and have a very good knowledge base. Indeed you could happily argue that many of the previous contestants (Clay Hayes, Theresa Emmerich, Roland Welker - to name a few) were very much at the top of their game. I felt like that really brought something to the series, seeing learned folk putting their skills to task.

Unfortunately, it looks like the same can't be said of this series. There's one or two who seem to have a bit of knowledge, but for the most part, it looks like many of them are quite inexperienced and seem to have struggled with the more basic elements of campcraft. It's a shame because I do think that there's quite a few folk in our community who could have a good crack at this.

That's just my view though and I guess the production team have gone for a different approach this time, bringing in a group with an altogether different background. This different approach is evident every time you see the names pop up with their job title underneath! It's also noteworthy that the prize pot has shrunk for this series with £100k on offer (compared to $500k previously). In any case I doff my cap to the contestants for putting themselves out there, that in itself is no mean feat and I look forward to watching the next episodes.

Reactions: Dan1982 and SCOMAN

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I don’t watch many TV programmes. My wife has appeared in Weakest Link, a game called 15:1, and Mastermind (twice). She tells me that things are by no means as smooth or as peaceful as shown on the screen. It was apparent to her that the TV programme was the priority rather than the contestants. However the risks are assessed by the programme makers legal team.

I haven’t seen it. My hope is that both the contestants and the viewers enjoy it and get what they were looking for from it.

(Oh and Eggheads including the search for a new egghead)

………….. and in passing :)
What's the comment about self praise ?
…….. The most informed sort of praise that there is!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I haven't watched the series yet but I am pleased it's done with less experienced people. I think at times TV makes this whole thing look too easy and encourages people with little or no experience to take risks. There are plenty of armchair survivalists and bushcrafters who think they can do it all; hopefully a more realistic view of the problems will at least make them think.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’ve just watched the first two episodes. The lack of skill is annoying, probably highlighted by how refreshing it was for the start of Alone. It’s tricky not to discuss it in detail but it’s a let down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE