UK version of Alone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I cannot wait for the inevitable micro analysis and retrospective “expert” opinion to ensue. Please bare in mind when watching that the participants are not survival or Bushcraft experts but people much more like you and I, people with an interest in the subject/relative subjects and with the willingness and bravery to participate in a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't watch tv. This discussion is just that, a discussion.

Sam says he knows someone who participated in something like, so, and I trust Sam, I trust his judgement; if he says it's a huge effort, then it is/was.

It still seems very odd somehow to me, but then, I like bushcraft which is chill the hell out asap, and survival which is get the hell out asap just is of little interest to me.
Traditional / meso and neolithic lifestyles aren't that kind of survival, if I make myself clear.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I completely agree @Toddy it’s a subject/show that will definitely be discussed and is rightly open to discussion. We will all have our own opinions on What we would/could/should do if we were in the same situation and that it’s precisely that, opinion. My main point is that we all remember that the participants are not by any means experts in this field and that we should all bare in mind when watching/if watching the show. We can all have our say on what we would do/take/wear/prioritise etc… and expectantly so, that’s what forums are for. Let’s just not underestimate how hard this experience was for the people taking part under physical and mental conditions most of us are never likely to really experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Man of Tanith

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I really enjoyed season 1 of alone. Was so refreshing to not have dramatised drama!

I’ve watched bits of a couple of later seasons but not managed to watch them through all the way, just by chance of how to watch.

It would be an interesting experience to participate!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's far more of a psychological challenge.
Think it was season 2, a guy was dropped off and 6 hours later he was quitting, all because he saw bear poo in the woods near his location.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
There’s been a few early tappers over the years as people are just completely unprepared mentally and have (understandably) become completely overwhelmed by the experience. On the flip side there’s been some phenomenal efforts by contestants such as Jordan Jonas who had set himself up so well and acquired such a cache of food supplies that he actually ended up providing food and shelter for the film crew after they went to tell him he’d won. The adverse weather conditions at the time made it impossible to evacuate the location for a few days. Granted he is an experienced hunter and woodsman and had spent long periods of time living in the Siberian Tundra with his family and I certainly wouldn’t expect the UK participants to perform to this level but you never know…

It’ll be an interesting watch.

Reactions: Man of Tanith

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
They travelled to Canada to film it I believe. The participants are all from the UK.

How exactly does having proper safety measures to ensure that no one dies make it staged?
Whilst a lot of the contestants add weight which is a sensible tactic, for most the added padding rapidly gets lost as they build shelters, and investigate the area.

I think there has been a few larger folk who have tapped out and certainly Woniya who was in season 6 then won the Alone Frozen was not obese, the winner of season 8 Clay was not obese at the start nor the end, the mental fortitude and grit is definitely the factor rather than if they have had a second helping of pudding.
They travelled to Canada to film it I believe. The participants are all from the UK.

How exactly does having proper safety measures to ensure that no one dies make it staged?
Whilst a lot of the contestants add weight which is a sensible tactic, for most the added padding rapidly gets lost as they build shelters, and investigate the area.

I think there has been a few larger folk who have tapped out and certainly Woniya who was in season 6 then won the Alone Frozen was not obese, the winner of season 8 Clay was not obese at the start nor the end, the mental fortitude and grit is definitely the factor rather than if they have had a second helping of pudding.
Still staged there’s lot clever editing Iff u look closely basically reality tv

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Alone is reality tv
Does anyone else wonder at the sheer strangeness of this pretending while a film crew works ? Of actually wanting to participate ?

I'm sure that the people 'enduring' are having a hard time, but it is rather manufactured to suit an agenda.
I have worked behind the scenes for a couple of films; I know that what appears on the screen is often so far removed from the reality of the filming that it's out on the Oort cloud.

'reality' tv just strikes me as fantasy.

I cannot wait for the inevitable micro analysis and retrospective “expert” opinion to ensue. Please bare in mind when watching that the participants are not survival or Bushcraft experts but people much more like you and I, people with an interest in the subject/relative subjects and with the willingness and bravery to participate in a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Still staged there’s lot clever editing Iff u look closely basically reality tv
I'm glad you hold that opinion
Especially when I can categorically state that it's in the hands of the producers who use the self filmed footage.
All TV if filmed and edited is reality TV. Is it beyond the control of the participants how they are portrayed by the production team?Yes
Is it editted to add drama and human interest? Yes it's aimed at the general viewer not passionate outdoors folks with their own perspective.
Does that detract from what the participants go through? Not at all.
Is it TV? Yes so it's never gonna be the same as a genuine survival experience
Do they do better than the majority of us who do this as a hobby? Undeniably

Should we remember that they are people like ourselves? Probably more than a lot of folk do.

Could we do better? Until we are in the position they are in whilst we sit in our home watching them actually doing it we can't say.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I'm glad you hold that opinion
Especially when I can categorically state that it's in the hands of the producers who use the self filmed footage.
All TV if filmed and edited is reality TV. Is it beyond the control of the participants how they are portrayed by the production team?Yes
Is it editted to add drama and human interest? Yes it's aimed at the general viewer not passionate outdoors folks with their own perspective.
Does that detract from what the participants go through? Not at all.
Is it TV? Yes so it's never gonna be the same as a genuine survival experience
Do they do better than the majority of us who do this as a hobby? Undeniably

Should we remember that they are people like ourselves? Probably more than a lot of folk do.

Could we do better? Until we are in the position they are in whilst we sit in our home watching them actually doing it we can't say.
I don’t watch alone watching 1 episode was enough to realise it was fake,just like Ed Stafford ,another thing I don’t like about alone is they can take 10kg off dried food as part off there 10 items so 2 5kg pouches could be pure pemmican ,but they don’t let u see that .

I don’t watch alone watching 1 episode was enough to realise it was fake,just like Ed Stafford ,another thing I don’t like about alone is they can take 10kg off dried food as part off there 10 items so 2 5kg pouches could be pure pemmican ,but they don’t let u see that .
For someone who hasn't watched it you certainly know a lot about it.

As for the food, they list it in the choices they take, previous participants Nicole Apelian and Karie Lee both mention their food rations and the reasoning they took it.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
For someone who hasn't watched it you certainly know a lot about it.

As for the food, they list it in the choices they take, previous participants Nicole Apelian and Karie Lee both mention their food rations and the reasoning they took it.
I looked into it because it seemed fake nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes I’m dubious as to its genuine authenticity

I looked into it because it seemed fake nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes I’m dubious as to its genuine authenticity
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, guess unless you've been involved in the season or know a participant you'll never know.
I hope you enjoy the free hour between 21:00-22:00hrs tonight, I'll enjoy watching something different on tv to the norm then play the mental game of what if.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
But how have you seen lots of clever editing if you’ve only watched one episode?

You’re just making things up.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know one of the contestants well and I trust them 100% as to what they told me about participating. They also command a lot of respect and are highly regarded on the forum as well

What they did was not fake at all. They went out there and worked their ar$e off under extreme conditions far harder than you and probably most of the people on this forum could handle. So for you to call it fake is insulting to them and all the other contestants.

As MoT has pointed out the contestants had no control whatsoever as to how the footage they shot of their hard work was edited. So if you want something to gripe about then moan about that and stop disparaging the contestants.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Had a bad feeling looking at the group promotion photo, with 6 contestants having axes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE