uk/usa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're quite right about that. You really only need to get past where the crowds give up to find a bit of solitude. I think many look for more than just "peaceful" though. Part of me always wants to explore where no man has ever stepped foot before. Not to many places left on this planet and I'm way to old to wait for interplanetary coloniztion. And realisitically I'm not in good enough health for that kind of exploration anyway. But I do like to dream.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I for one, dont want to have to drive 10 miles to get to the corner shop

and another 50 to the post office....

I can walk to those in 5 mins here. Also a doctors, dentists, vets, pub, bus stop, cycle shop, garage, pizza place, TWO curry houses etc....

1st driving 10 miles is only a 10 minute drive; not much farther than that 5 minute walk you mentioned and short of Alaska I don't know too many places with the post office that far (besides you can do all your postal business with the postman at your front door mailbox).

But this is where I have mixed feelings because your point is still very valid. There is a trade off between the benefits of social life but the reward of self sufficiencey is fantastic also. I love getting out and away from all the noise and regulation of town and rarely ever miss Dr, post office, restearaunts, clubs, etc.

Each of us have our own comfort zones but I think 2 assumptions are fairly safe about all of us here. 1) We all like some degree of seclusion and wilds or we wouldn't be into bushcraft and 2) We all like a bit of technology and social interaction or we wouldn't be on an internet forum. The problem for most of us is finding the right balance.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Around 60 mph usually. Obviously slower in town but equally obviously that doesn't apply in the kind of countryside we're talking about. 70-80 is the speed limit on the interstates (depending on what state) which also doesn't really apply in the back country.

You have to remember that driving is a way of life for us. There are very, very few people in North America who don't have their license by age 16. When I was still a teen you could get your learner's permit at 14 (if you were in a formal driver's ed class at your High School) and a full license at 15. Most of us actually started driving (unlicensed) at around 12 in the rural areas so the driver's ed class was nothing more than an extra credit in school and a discount on our insurance.

Last edited:

firebear

Mar 27, 2011
mountains, usa
In my book, there are problems everywhere. That said, you could take it as a challenge and try scout camping. See if you can do an overnighter or weekend with no one knowing you were there. Just another way of looking at it. It may not be as comfortable as normal camping but satisfying. JMHO

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm 32 and still don't have a license.

I love england, wouldnt want to trade it for anywhere else for longer than a few months holiday.

That's my point exactly. It's all down to what your idea of "normal" is. That and what you WANT your normal to be in the future. Interestingly even though younger drivers here are higher risk they aren't the highest risk. That distinction goes to elderly drivers who don't want to give up their keys. Driving is one of the things (probably the single most important thing) by which we measure our independence as an individual. The inability to drive almost equals being invalid. Indeed a drivers license and a reliable vehicle is required by most employers before you apply for a job. So losing your license or you car leaves most people feeling useless and dependent.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was a teen I would have argued that point. Now as a registred "OLD FA%%" I tend to agree with you. There is a downside even at my age though. If the teens don't have their own cars then I have to chauffer them. Today my 30 year old daughter's car is in the shop and until she gets it back I'm her ride. She said, "I feel like I'm in pre-school again." And she doesn't have many places to go. Her 9 year old son on the other hand has to be taken to most of his appointments (Dr, dentist, swimming lessons, Cub Scout meetings, etc.) And we do live in town.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You (the parent) add them to your policy as an additional driver on the family car and/or as the primary driver own their car (also registered in the parents' name til the teen reaches 18) Generally their rate is the same as any other under 25 driver. Girls are cheaper than boys and there is a discount if they've had driver's ed. but neither is really cheap.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
youngster insurance is huge here.

But lots do seem to have generous parents.

(I have a great garage; they fix the car, deliver it to my house, putting the key though the letterbox if Im out, and then put the bill though my dads letterbox)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I taught my youngest son to drive at age 14yrs...in our local cemetery believe it or not, he wouldn't be killing anybody there.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its all about how you want to live.

To me cities are all about surface triviality, "shiny baubles", quick fix entertainment, the "new thing", fast food, lots of "noveau cusine" and food fads.

Country places are hard work, digging muck, making do, working on long timescales, planting for your children, planning, weather, and reversals.

I'll take the latter.

My neighbours are few, but great. The retired farmer who still keeps Shire horses and brings the new foals to meet me. The 50 year old who is "the fixer" - keeps dozens of vehicles on the road and, with his machine shop, can build parts for brush cutters, old cars and tractors etc. The farmer who runs cows, grows barley and endless brassicas.

I only see them a couple of times a week - but we stop, put the kettle on or pour a (home brew) beer. When someone has a problem, its expected we all pitch in to fell a tree, build a fence or catch a horse. Its what you do.

I have lived in cities. People were shallow, selfish and self serving.

30 minutes to the Post Office and no newar neighbours? Sounds really friendly - I bet I would know the name of the person behind the counter.

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I agree Red. What I miss about England (well one of the things I miss) was the village life. I remember one pub I used to go to (the only one in the village) At first they shuffled me out quietly at closing time but after I'd been there a while (a few months) it changed. One night I noticed them quietly shuffling others out but not bothering me. After they locked the door they made "last Call" and the rest of us stayed as long as it took to finish our drinks and our conversations/cameraderie. Tha's when I realized I was no longer an outsider but a villager. I cain't imagine that happening in a bigger city.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
none of the laws realy bother me, just stick to your values and be sensible, have fun. there is tons to do in this country, im not out there looking for any real wilderness to test myself in, i just like getting out, learing and practicing afew skills and having fun.
i suppose im kind lucky to live in a fairly relaxed area, i know most of the coppers on a first name basis, they know i like bushcraft, they know im responsible, so they dont see a problem.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...(I have a great garage; they fix the car, deliver it to my house, putting the key though the letterbox if Im out, and then put the bill though my dads letterbox)

LOL. Enjoy it while you can, Your kids will repay you in kind one day.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I don't understand...

There are large areas of wild land throughout the EU - especially in the E and the N - to which, as EU citizens, we have equal rights. Why the focuson N. America with all this on our (admittedly, very wide) doorstep?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Preciesley.

I have an uncle with several properties in Bulgaria; he says its fantastic for the wilds.

And theres scandanavia.

Ive recenty come back from the Isle of Man; I was told it was 40% uninhabited, and I can well believe it

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't understand...

There are large areas of wild land throughout the EU - especially in the E and the N - to which, as EU citizens, we have equal rights. Why the focuson N. America with all this on our (admittedly, very wide) doorstep?

More space, common language, and (in Canada) a degree of shared culture and values. North America has space, lots and lots of space with wilderness. Nobody here is going to get lost and starve to death, you could in Canada or the States; you have real bush and room to be a real bushcrafter and not have to huddle in a tiny patch of woodland dressing up and playing at it; simple. Given you had a needed skill, emigration to either country is not difficult and I dare say that your assimilation into the local community would be a lot easier than moving to somewhere like Bulgaria or even Spain through if nothing else ease of communication.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE