uk/usa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Travelled extensively through and over the US, met some great people that are still friends.

Working for a blue chip American company I've had several chances and have been asked many times to move over there, no doubt it would further my career, but there is no amount of money you could pay me to live in the US.

Many many reasons for that and others may think the reasons are a plus, for me though there is absolutely no way i'd live in the states.
The few trips i do a year there are more than enough.

Speaking as someone who has emigrated, a LOT of what makes a move is successful, is down to a persons expectations and personality.
I've seen Brits come here and return home after 2 months, others stay for years.

After 12 years here i'm confident i could win a bet on who is likely to stay and who is likely to move.
The ones that sound off the most on how bad it was in the UK and how great it is here are the ones that seem to last the shortest.

Any where you move in the world is a compromise, a good mate of mine spent 5 years preparing to move to Australia.
He moved back to the UK within 18 months.
He knew all the negatives but shrugged them aside and carried on and bugger me if ignoring them didn't solve them.

The UK is a fantastic place to live all in, speaking as someone that has travelled extensively and is an expat, there really is not much better out there.

Last edited:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Im English and proud of it! Ive been to the US 3 times on touring holidays and a long stay in south Australia. Great places to visit but there is no place like home! I wouldnt swap living here for any other country.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I spent this weekend in the Applecross Peninsula of West Scotland. Breathtaking! I was with a group of friends on motorcycles, one of the roads was the best I have ever ridden in 32 year of biking. There are spots that are only a few hundred metres from roads where you can feel completely alone. You can walk for miles and not see another soul and your right to wild camping is enshrined in Scottish law. Some of the remote areas may not be hundreds of miles away from roads or civilisation but there are place that you can set up camp for several days and see no one. We have plenty of Mountain Rescue call outs each year to show that we have our share of challenging environments (not all of them are townies with no idea of the equipment to take with them!).

I grew up in England and now live in Scotland. It is easy to get tied up with the bad stuff that is on the news every day and the city problems but the vast majority of people in the cities are honest and decent. We also have vastly varied countryside with bushcraft through to Disney World type activities all a relatively short distance away.

I would love to travel to many parts of the world but I will always think of the UK as my home and I don't think I could take being away for very long. There would always be the desire for a really good cup of tea to bring me home!

England, Scotland and Wales have a massive diversity of landscape and culture, more than enough to keep me occupied for this lifetime.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I spent this weekend in the Applecross Peninsula of West Scotland. Breathtaking! I was with a group of friends on motorcycles, one of the roads was the best I have ever ridden in 32 year of biking. There are spots that are only a few hundred metres from roads where you can feel completely alone. You can walk for miles and not see another soul and your right to wild camping is enshrined in Scottish law. Some of the remote areas may not be hundreds of miles away from roads or civilisation but there are place that you can set up camp for several days and see no one. We have plenty of Mountain Rescue call outs each year to show that we have our share of challenging environments (not all of them are townies with no idea of the equipment to take with them!).

I grew up in England and now live in Scotland. It is easy to get tied up with the bad stuff that is on the news every day and the city problems but the vast majority of people in the cities are honest and decent. We also have vastly varied countryside with bushcraft through to Disney World type activities all a relatively short distance away...

I agree that you can probably find good opportunities (great ones in fact) most anywhere if you really try. But for me the "relatively short distances" would be a downside as much as an asset. Yes, seeing no one for miles sounds peaceful but it's not quite the same as the experience of being hundreds of miles from the nearest human. Yes I'm sure what you say about Mountain Rescue is quite true---BUT!!!---the very fact that there IS a Mountain Rescue available within effective distance takes away from the adventure.

There's a sense of adventure that just needs true, vast wilderness. I don't need that as much now that I'm older so much as I did when I was younger and probably neither do most people; but I believe the OP probably has that in mind (at least subliminally)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you add up all of the UK, all of Japan and all of New Zealand, they all fit into British Columbia with land to spare.
We haven't got 10% of that population either. I like hunting in the emptiness. 10 days, might see 3-4 other people.

There is Mountain Rescue here for the dead and the poorly prepared.
The objective is to (safely) recover the bodies before the bears and wolves get there first.

I regret that I didn't do the West Coast Trail 30 years ago. Now, it's covered with people.
Take a number = wait your turn.
https://www.westcoasttrail.com/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE