uk/usa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
It takes a big person to realize that they were wrong and an even bigger one to admit it and apologize. I would say that you have done that, and I admire you for it.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I don't have a problem with people who disagree with things in this country and want to
change them for the better (even if I don't agree with their definition of 'better')

The people I have a problem with are the ones who can't/won't/don't see the good here (or
wherever they are) and who just moan about how bad things are and how
somewhere/everywhere else is better. But these people are unlikely to see good in
anything much and the sooner they go somewhere else and dislike it too, the sooner they
will start thinking about life a bit.

Two men meet. One says to the other 'I'm moving to xxx. You used to live there. Do you
think I'll like it?'

The other says 'What do you think of here?'

'Well, I like the place, but I'm not too keen on the people.'

'Well, when you get to xxx, I think you'll like the place, but I don't think you'll be too keen on the
people.'

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm lucky enough to live in a very pleasant part of the Uk - but without much in the way of woods, I'm also close to N. Wales, the Peak district and the Lake district. Wilderness is there if you are prepared to get off the beaten track a bit. There are also benefits, as others have said, in some "managed" landscapes.

I also get to spend time in the states usually once every year and really like it there, the people are mostly very friendly and they have some outstanding scenery. I'll be out in the woods with my brother in law much of my stay, he spends all his free time out hunting.

There's a tradeoff though. The wildness of his local area means I always worry, probably unduly about snakes. Theres beasties which can and will hurt people and the landscape is generally less forgiving. No way would I spend a night out on the floor in his woods, not with the Copperheads , Water Moccasins and Rattle snakes. I'm nervy enough being up in a tree. Other areas there are bears to consider.

I think its just too easy to be critical of wherever you happen to find yourself and always look for somewhere better, more important perhaps to develop an ability to make the best of where you happen to be.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
If you don't love your country like I do then I'm sorry that you don't but you can leave. It's easy, just stop moaning about it, pack your bags and go. That's the great thing about this country, no one is asking you to stay.

Martin

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you.....the UK is a beautiful country, I miss it a lot. I miss everything you mentioned in your post. I particularly miss the history of the UK countryside. There is no-where quite like blighty. However, the "It's easy, just stop moaning about it, pack your bags and go.", just try that and see how easy it is. Whether you hate the UK or love it, emigrating is definately not a case of "pack your bags and go".

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I was doing some research today on my ancestry and I happened to run across the mention of an immigrant in the 1860's from Wales. (This was not a relative, just someone I ran across.) The only description of him was "A 12 year old boy, unaccompanied." I have thought about him all day off and on. How badly did he want to get here? How bad was it in his home in Wales? Where did he get the money? What ever happened to him? Can you imagine a 12 year old boy today crossing the Atlantic alone? Most of them probably couldn't make it to McDonalds alone. Anyway, my point is the same as pete 79's It's not easy and it never was.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
The only knife laws in Texas are no switchblades butterfly knives or
carrying a fixed blade over 5in blade unless you are hunting camping
fishing or just walking in the woods then the blade length is not a problem.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not at all sure.

But I know Id rather be poor in the UK than in the US.

One thing that would put me off the US is the decay of certain cities. I have no use for cities but my Detroitian friends mournful reports on his ailing settlement is very sobering.

Unlike China where they are building new Eco cities (how these will work out I have no idea but there seems to be a lot of new thinking going on.)

In GB we have a lot of intangibles, such as our history...everywhere has a fastinating history, from city centres to the remotest isle.

Id like to stay a while in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah I have already given up on England, and I'm only 20.

Too many reasons why, but growing up in the city just put it into perspective. I have my sights set on Canada, but the immigration process looks like an application to go to the moon! Pete79 I would be very grateful if you could pm me about your view and experience on the immgration process from England to Canada. I would love to move to British Columbia or Alberta, and I would settle for some of the western American states such as, Wyoming or Montana.

I'm coming to this thread late so you may have already moved. If not I'd like to say you've listed some excellent choices (both in Canada and the US) Also consider states such as Idaho, Oregon and Washington State (not Washington, D.C.)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I think the beauty of the northern forests is that the UK and US share the same trees and plants for the most part. The transition so to speak would be very easy to navigate.

I wasn't aware how similar the Northern forests were to the UK but I do know that in the Smoky Mountain National Park area alone there are several times more species of trees than on the entire European continent.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To those of you who moan about life in the UK why don't you just pack up and leave? Flights to pretty much the whole of the world are less than £1,000. Sell all your stuff and you'll have enough to get away and live the life you want in another country. Don't worry about immigration, we have more illegal immigrants than you can shake a stick at, the US has an ever bigger problem of illegal aliens. Anyway, as most of the malcontents seem to want to live in the woods, immigration shouldn't be a big problem, you could earn a few bob trading animal skins, making knives and such like.

I, on the other hand, love my country. I love the diversity of the people and the tolerance for their cultures and ways of life. I love the countryside, the history and the heritage. I love the coast and the moors, I love cricket and rugby. I love it that you can go walking and camping and don't have to worry about getting bitten by snakes or spiders or scorpions, or getting eaten by bears or alligators of crocodiles.

I love it that the winters aren't too harsh and the summers aren't too hot. I love it that we don't have annual monsoons, tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, or droughts that cause the deaths of thousands of people. I can live without using my hosepipe for a few weeks.

I love it that, when I'm sick, I can go to the doctor and he doesn't need to care whether I can afford to pay for treatment. I love it that when my daughter was born 12 weeks early weighing under 3lb she and my wife received the best possible treatment and I never had to worry about the cost.

I love my country, I'm proud that my grandparents fought both on the battlefield and on the home front to make our country as great as it is today.

If you don't love your country like I do then I'm sorry that you don't but you can leave. It's easy, just stop moaning about it, pack your bags and go. That's the great thing about this country, no one is asking you to stay.

Martin

I don't know who originally wrote the following quote but it used to be on the wall in the terminal building at RAF Mildenhall (it may still be there):

"Breathes there a man with soul so dead
That never to himself has said
'This is my own, my native land"

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sainty and British Red, I just want to congratulate you on your posts.

I grew up in Australia, not in the city, but out in the forest and countryside. I went walkabout when I was 22 and settled in England.

I love the grey mists. I love the play of browns and greens across an open moor. I love the tolerance and friendliness of the natives (even if they did mock me for my accent!). It took me a while, but I even learned to love the beer.

I love the variety of trees. When I was a kid I looked at a wood and could see maybe 2 species of tree and hear 3 birds. In Yorkshire I look at a woodland and see 20 species of tree, wake on a summer morning and lose count of the numbers of birds I can hear.

This is a great country. Overcrowded, yes, but still a great country.

There's a lot I miss about England, and there's a lot I don't. I think it comes down to personal perspective, and what you want out of life. I travelled to and lived in a bunch of different places (and countries) before I finally settled here. When it comes down to it, you have to find out for yourself by actually going there and experiencing it for yourself - you may find the grass is indeed greener somewhere else, but then again you may find that things aren't so bad back home after all. Until you've actually tried it, you'll never know either way.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
well i for one agree both countries have their pros and cons but america and canada are very high on my list of places to visit once i win that euromillions jackpot tonight!
thats the one thing uncle ray has managed to do once he started making a good living from his business was to visit all the places in the world that he read about when he was younger.
but the absolute number one place for me would be the northern territories in australia. i can blame crocodile dundee for starting that idea and ray for finalising it lol

but in the unlikely event i dont win then i'll have to settle for bonnie scotland :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
The grass is always greener. I love the UK, not too keen on the town where I live. The countryside by me is not "bushcraft" friendly and a bit noisy with flights taking off and landing till late at night - but 20 miles down the road...
Go a bit further afield and the countryside becomes a bit more rugged, challenging and breathtaking...
Push a little further and you're in Scotland, more bushcraft friendly
Jump on one of those noisy planes and the world becomes my playground, USA, Canada, Northern Europe

In short, for me, I couldn't leave Good 'ol Blighty anytime soon. I could be tempted across the pond for an extended visit (if you'll have me), but I am British through and through. If you're prepared to make the effort, you can find what you are looking for in the UK. Talk to enough people and you'll find someone who'll let you set up on their land for the odd night.

I'm guessing the same is true for the US and Canada.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Ok So I stopped reading this thread halfway through when it became an issue of pulling it out and measuring.

It's not an issue of standing up for your country... I'm sure GB and the Commonwealth will do fine without us defending it... or the US or Canada for that matter.
I want to adress the original question, how welcoming is your country for Bushcraft?

I agree wholeheartedly with Andrew_S who seems like an excellent fellow (*waves* PM me sometime mate!). He's right about everything from attitude to knife laws.
It IS legal to carry just about everything that you would want to carry for Bushcraft. Police here are some of the principal advocates of emergency preparedness which you have to bear in mind if you go on trips where you are quite likely out of Cell phone range...

It was asked how hard it would be to emmigrate to here... TBH i don't know, but don't forget that we are Commonwealth, and mostly very pro British / monarchy. (if you want to bring politics into this). In my experience people have a fetish for people with British accents, and I for one am quite looking forward to my upcoming trip to London.
We really aren't that different in terms of way of life... Universal free healthcare is a standard here, amongst many other shared values. (same system of govmt here too.. heck.. same Queen!)
Anyway, does moving to a new country make sense to entertain a hobby? IMO no. RM demonstrated that there is lots of bushcraft to be had in the UK... and also IMO there is so much wilderness here that it can just take over: you have to be committed to the lifestyle because if you do the cabin in the middle of nowhere, that's ALL you'll have.
Sometimes after spending lots of time in teh woods and reloading my batteries even I want to go back to civilisation and eat a great big pizza.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I for one, dont want to have to drive 10 miles to get to the corner shop

and another 50 to the post office....

I can walk to those in 5 mins here. Also a doctors, dentists, vets, pub, bus stop, cycle shop, garage, pizza place, TWO curry houses etc....

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I don't know who originally wrote the following quote but it used to be on the wall in the terminal building at RAF Mildenhall (it may still be there):

"Breathes there a man with soul so dead
That never to himself has said
'This is my own, my native land"

It comes from 'The Lay of the Last Minstrel', an epic poem by Sir Walter Scott. There follows another couple of lines which are quite apt in the circumstances of this thread;

"Whose heart hath neer within him burnd,
As home his footsteps he hath turnd,
From wandering on a foreign strand!"

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I live in France but for 39 years lived in the UK and yes, it is way smaller than the US with a higher population density BUT it is still easy to get away from it all. I've walked in the Lake District and not seen a sould all day, I've mountain biked on the South Downs and hardly seen anyone. Most people who visit national parks, for instance, get less than 500m from their car/car park so once you head off into the wilderness you can quite often be on your own. Even close to big conurbations it['s often possible to find a peaceful place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE