uk/usa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
If this thread even starts to turn into some kind of jingoistic rant, it's gonna get locked.

I hope my comments aren't considered 'jingoistic'. Nothing could have been further from my mind. As I said, I love the diversity of cultures that this country enjoys. It is one of our strengths and long may it continue, my mother's family are immigrants to this country from a time just after WW2 and we are a truly cosmopolitan bunch with family members from pretty much every continent.

I fully expect other nations to have similar feelings towards the country of their birth. It would be sad if that were not the case.

There just seems to be a creeping attitude, in this country, that we are so hard done by which, in my opinion, just isn't so. I have lived in the city and in the country and both have great benefits. I, for one, just don't subscribe to the 'grass is greener' philosophy.

Martin

Andrew_S

Jan 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Still, [Canada is] more... controlled or restricted than the U.S., at least with the gun and knife laws....

Point of order:

US law restricts knives far more tightly than in Canada. Canada's knife laws can be summed up as:
- no switchblades
- no butterfly knives or flick knives
- no carrying a knife for the purpose of crime
- no carrying a concealed knife designed specifically as a weapon
- no carrying a concealed knife that you intend to use as a weapon

No blade length limits, etc., as are commonly found in various parts of the United States. So unless you want to carry a fighting knife, concealed, you will find that the US is in general more restrictive than Canada when it comes to knives.

I went searching through a lot of Canadian case law recently, and I could not find a single case of someone carrying a knife for a legitimate purpose falling afoul of the law.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You have to love the freedom of speech in the UK though:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with flying the flag a bit, we don't do it enough in the UK IMHO

You can fly your flag all you want but just keep in mind this is the Internet and people from all over the world come to this forum.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Andrew_S said:
Point of order:

US law restricts knives far more tightly than in Canada. Canada's knife laws can be summed up as:
- no switchblades
- no butterfly knives or flick knives
- no carrying a knife for the purpose of crime
- no carrying a concealed knife designed specifically as a weapon
- no carrying a concealed knife that you intend to use as a weapon

No blade length limits, etc., as are commonly found in various parts of the United States. So unless you want to carry a fighting knife, concealed, you will find that the US is in general more restrictive than Canada when it comes to knives.
Ok I've actually never looked up the U.S. knife laws but I do know their gun laws aren't nearly as restricting as ours are. I also thought that there was a blade length limit of something like 5" in Canada... I was told that by a guy that worked in a fishing/hunting store when I was buying a knife a while ago.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
To those of you who moan about life in the UK why don't you just pack up and leave? Flights to pretty much the whole of the world are less than £1,000. Sell all your stuff and you'll have enough to get away and live the life you want in another country. Don't worry about immigration, we have more illegal immigrants than you can shake a stick at, the US has an ever bigger problem of illegal aliens. Anyway, as most of the malcontents seem to want to live in the woods, immigration shouldn't be a big problem, you could earn a few bob trading animal skins, making knives and such like.

I, on the other hand, love my country. I love the diversity of the people and the tolerance for their cultures and ways of life. I love the countryside, the history and the heritage. I love the coast and the moors, I love cricket and rugby. I love it that you can go walking and camping and don't have to worry about getting bitten by snakes or spiders or scorpions, or getting eaten by bears or alligators of crocodiles.

I love it that the winters aren't too harsh and the summers aren't too hot. I love it that we don't have annual monsoons, tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, or droughts that cause the deaths of thousands of people. I can live without using my hosepipe for a few weeks.

I love it that, when I'm sick, I can go to the doctor and he doesn't need to care whether I can afford to pay for treatment. I love it that when my daughter was born 12 weeks early weighing under 3lb she and my wife received the best possible treatment and I never had to worry about the cost.

I love my country, I'm proud that my grandparents fought both on the battlefield and on the home front to make our country as great as it is today.

If you don't love your country like I do then I'm sorry that you don't but you can leave. It's easy, just stop moaning about it, pack your bags and go. That's the great thing about this country, no one is asking you to stay.

Martin

Martin
I am an American living in the UK, its good to hear your love of your home. I love the USA and sometimes find it sad to see the lack of patriotisomin the UK, There is a lack of flag waving love of country you see in the States. A population dosnt have to agree with all of the politics but love of the people history and land should show in your heart. I feel a lot of the problems with world is because people have givin into an use verses them attitude.

It is realy sad.

James

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Martin
I am an American living in the UK, its good to hear your love of your home. I love the USA and sometimes find it sad to see the lack of patriotisomin the UK, There is a lack of flag waving love of country you see in the States. A population dosnt have to agree with all of the politics but love of the people history and land should show in your heart. I feel a lot of the problems with world is because people have givin into an use verses them attitude.

It is realy sad.

James

Thanks James

Isn't it sad though that a love of one's country is often mistaken for or dismissed as jingoism? I'm glad that patriotism is alive and well in the USA. If you want to see a 'nation' with a true sense of pride, just spend some time in Cornwall and see how they love their home. :)

Kernow bys vyken!!!

Martin (an emmet in Kernow)

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
I love my country and am very proud of the changes we have been making recently. That said i love alot of other places as well. During my limited amount of travels I have found that i could find a kinship with people on an individual basis anywere but to me some places have a diffrent feel.

On to the topic. If you ever get a chance to come to the USA and are looking for a good place for backwoods camping then try the white mountains in New Hampshire. Here is a link for some info.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/

I am planning a two week trip in may.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Isn't it sad though that a love of one's country is often mistaken ?

It is. I love England. Its fantastic as a country. I have travelled widely for business and pleasure and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the wonders and welcomes other countries have to offer. But, as the saying goes "theres no place like home" :)

England has so many things to offer....

Pubs with log fires and lurchers.

Village cricket with proper cricket teas.

WI sales with jam and Jerusalem;)

Misty mornings with sleepy horses standing under oak trees

Duck ponds and trout streams

Henges and Hadrians wall

Peaceful walks at night with tawny owls crying back and forth

Thousand year old churches with centuries old yew trees

Downland and moorland, wetland and true Forest

Meals with friends who cook from their cultures - curries and pasties, curried goat and roast beef :cool:

A gentle land full of gentlemen (and indeed ladies)

How lucky we are to live here!

Red

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
fully agree uk all the way and for all the reasons british red and sanity have mentionend and one reason of my own and that is Proper football or as the americans call it soccer

not ment to cause offense having said that its just my love of the game and my country speaking

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I live in Somerset (Yeovil) love Cornwall and Devon.

Red
I feel the same way that you do on you list.

All though I must confess I dont care for football But then I wasnt a big fan of american sports. I am more into outdoor stuff.

Andrew_S

Jan 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I also thought that there was a blade length limit of something like 5" in Canada... I was told that by a guy that worked in a fishing/hunting store when I was buying a knife a while ago.

You was told wrong. This is typical of the quality of information you'll get from your local sporting goods retailer: misinformation and rumours repeated with authority.

There is no blade length restriction. Except for prohibited weapons (switchblade, balisong), as long as the knife is not (a) concealed and designed as a weapon, (b) concealed with the intent of using it as a weapon, or (c) carried with the intent to commit an offence, it is 100 percent legal.

In (c), it's a matter of reasonability. The law recognizes that knives are legitimate tools. If you are carrying a knife that is clearly suited to some legitimate purpose, you're fine. That would include blades over 5 inches, provided that you were camping, hunting, canoe-tripping, or doing something else where a reasonable person would carry such a knife.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Cool, but I still won't carry a huge knife. Just don't need it you know? I'd rather carry a good axe. I did have a feeling that the guy at the store knew absolutely nothing about knives, I still regret getting that knife as it sucks at woodworking. (bought a Buck vanguard because I didn't know anything about knives at the time, shame I don't hunt large game so it's gone to waste) Anyways, back to the topic! I think if I lived in the UK I'd like it there but I live in Canada so I like it here. I guess that's just because you get used to living in that kind of place and it makes you feel at home.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Sainty: I love my country and I'm glad you love your country, but when you start telling you fellow countrymen to leave, I think you have made a mistake. During the Viet Nam war, supporters of the war, in reaction to war protesters, started putting bumper stickers on their cars that said: "America, Love It or Leave It." You have just said the same thing. If you really think about it deeply, this statement is saying that if there is something wrong in the country, don't complain about it or try to fix it, just get out. Your comments don't anger or upset me at all. But, if I was one of the Brits posting messages that were complaining about the lack of wilderness, and a desire to be somewhere where there was more wilderness, (hardly treason) I think I would be pretty frosted by your comments. It took about 20 years for those America, Love it or Leave it, comments to die out. I'm saddened to see it given new life here.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Sainty: I love my country and I'm glad you love your country, but when you start telling you fellow countrymen to leave, I think you have made a mistake. During the Viet Nam war, supporters of the war, in reaction to war protesters, started putting bumper stickers on their cars that said: "America, Love It or Leave It." You have just said the same thing. If you really think about it deeply, this statement is saying that if there is something wrong in the country, don't complain about it or try to fix it, just get out. Your comments don't anger or upset me at all. But, if I was one of the Brits posting messages that were complaining about the lack of wilderness, and a desire to be somewhere where there was more wilderness, (hardly treason) I think I would be pretty frosted by your comments. It took about 20 years for those America, Love it or Leave it, comments to die out. I'm saddened to see it given new life here.

Fair comment Chinkapin. I am not really advocating a mass or even a mini exodus of malcontents and I can now see how my comments may have been caused offence; for that I sincerely apologise. I just get frustrated by the increased moaning of those of us who seem to think that things are better elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken, every nation has its difficulties. If you look at any country on any continent you will find poverty, unrest, terrorism, corruption, taxation, waste and a whole load of other problems. We have a system, albeit flawed, that protects the vulnerable but expects those that can to make a positive contribution. We all have the opportunity to change things through the electoral system but millions choose not to exercise their right. You have an absolute right to complain in a democracy but why not channel that complaint into something positive.

I guess what I am trying to say, in my not very eloquent manner, is that if you want to go there really is nothing stopping you but we would prefer it if you stayed and helped change things for the better.

Chinkapin, I believe it was one of your leaders who said, 'Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country'. Not a bad sentiment if you ask me.

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE