UK supplier for 800+ goose down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm toying with the idea of making my own hammock underblanket... Anybody know of a good supplier of goose down in the UK?

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
You could try here:

http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/default.php

It doesn't appear to have what you're after BUT does have a whole range of similar stuff. The forum is pretty good as well with plenty of advice, patterns, etc for making your own gear.

I am, of course, unaffiliated with them.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
gregorach said:
I'm toying with the idea of making my own hammock underblanket... Anybody know of a good supplier of goose down in the UK?
Did you know that there is a group buy probably happening for an underblanket............Jon

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Jon Pickett said:
Did you know that there is a group buy probably happening for an underblanket............Jon

Yeah, I know, but (a) it's probably going to take a while and (b) I really want down rather than synthetic. Although at the rate I'm liable to move this project along, point (a) could well be moot... ;) I'm just pricing materials and hatching plans at the minute.

Mantic: cheers for that link. Like you say, they don't seem to have any down, but it's one to add to the suppliers list.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
No problem m8. Like I said, the forum is full of useful tips and plans for making other gear. I aim to make a tarp for the autumn - won't save much cash but it will be made to my spec (I'm an odd shape - for example, I have 6 arms....).

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Getting hold of down is quite hard it would seem, both in Sweden as in the UK :)

I did manage to find a supplier in Poland who makes custom sleepingbags and extreme weather jackets. If you ask nicely you might be able to buy down from them (or even get them to sew up the quilt =)

http://www.roberts.pl/

When i do my next winter session i'm seriously considering getting some stuff from them.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Cheers for the thought mate. :)

If you're looking for a down supplier and are prepared to go abroad, it can be ordered easily enough from Thu-Hiker.com in the States... But I'd prefer a UK supplier.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Is there really such a difference between down and synthetic?
For those of you in the know, what are the good and bad points of each.

TIA

Ogri the trog

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, the main advatages of down are weight and pack size. For a given level of insulation, down will weigh much less and pack much smaller. However, it's pretty much useless if it gets wet (or even damp) and is difficult to dry. It also needs to be washed very carefully and is a real nightmare to handle during construction. Synthetics are also cheaper.

Many, even most, people seem to prefer synthetic, but having recently bought a down sleeping bag, I'm a convert. The difference in packed size in particular is amazing - you just wouldn't believe how small a space down can be packed into if you haven't seen it. Here's a photo of my down bag, packed, with a waterbottle for scale. OK, it's only a 2-season bag, but still... It's tiny. And only 480g. :D

My design goal is a 2-3 season underquilt weighing in under 600g, and packing down to no bigger than my hammock / net combo - about 6L.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I just bought some 900 loft down from Ed Speers over at www.hammockcamping.com
Ed's a really great guy to deal with, and he always chucks in a free copy of his book "hammock camping" with every order. It's the same price as Thru Hikers 800 loft down, so if you're shopping overseas, you may as well go the 900 loft. I used it to fill a down hammock, and you won't believe how much this stuff fluffs up.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
When buying down remember that the American system for measuring fill power is different to the European system for measuring fill power.

The American rating system is easier to score higher powers on, thus down rated 800+ buy the Americans would not score as high in the European test.

It’s a bit like the Americans having a different billion.

Just keep this in mind when buying, down rated 800 fill power under the American system is inferior to down which has scored 800 on the European system.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I need to speak to the folks at Penine Outdoors about some fabric samples, I'll ask them if they know anyone...

Stuart - that's a very interesting point. My calculations so far are based on the US system (800+ means 1 ounce of down will occupy 800 cubic inches - that involved some funny conversions to work in metric ;)) - can you shed any further light on the European system?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
No, the underblanket goes underneath the hammock. It's shaped to fit the underside, and held in place with bungies, so the down isn't compressed at all.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Have you tried Rab for down? They used to sell it, but I'm not sure if they still do (the manufacturing has moved from Sheffield now).

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Spoke to a local firm that makes custom duvets and pillows over the weekend... They can supply Hungarian goose down at £60 per pound, but I'm not entirely sure about the quality. Still, I figured I'd mention them here in case anyone else is looking... They're called "The Feather Company", based in Edinburgh, and they're in the yellow pages.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, but it's not a sleeping bag I'm after... Getting an underquilt made up by them would involve some additional expense I would guess, as they can't use an off-the-shelf pattern. I might give 'em a call anyway, see if I can't blag some down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE