UK Mischmetal ferro rod supplier?

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Does anyone know of a UK based mischmetal ferro rod supplier, like the ones sold on goinggear?

I missed out on the group buy and I don't really want to pay the postage fees. I'm interested in trying mischmetal as opposed to my light my fire firesteel.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you give FGYT a PM he will probably have spares he will be prepared to sell to you I imagine.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Misch metal in its own right is too soft to strike usable sparks. all rods have iron and magnesium added to make them firm enough to spark. The LMF version is probably the hardest and allows better control + will last longer but isnt as good for lighting wet tinder where the softer versions will win out given their tendency to give off big globules of molten metal.

Axeprice on ebay is certainly where you will get most bang for your buck. Ive just had a 6in by 0.5 inch one from him for a tenner.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There's also www.firesteel.co.uk

I have a couple of them, but I'm not sure if they differ from the goinggear ones. Goinggear are pretty easy to deal with and offer a good service, so don't be afraid to use them. Bet you chuck a few other bits in your basket too ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE