Ferro rod recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Can anyone recommend where to get ferro rods? Versions of?

I've seen/read that light my fire rods are well received, would these be the best options in peoples opinions?
I know there are cheaper options, but I don't want to end up with something that'd I'd find easier to clonk someone with and steal their lighter than actually use to light a fire... but equally I don't want to spend a bunch if I can avoid it.

I also know that the tinder is just as important... currently if I'm not using my pocket rocket, I'll use cotton wool and a tiny ferro rod that is in one of those little "survival boxes".

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
in the yellowstone brand [sold in what stores] there is a kit that comes with a fire-steel that i use

i bought mine last year when visiting Wales it cost around £5.00 gbp

it does come with a coating on the steel which needs to be removed [i guess a lot comes with a coating though]

after the coating is removed it never misses a beat and sparks every-time now i got the technique mastered

best to hold the long-side of the striker on the steel still and pull the steel with medium to firm pressure between the striker and steel

i think it was called a gift pack or something similar Yellowstone Camping Essential Gift Set

it comes with a

striker which has a bottle-opener built in
mini carabina
combination compass and button-cell torch which can be separated

steel is about 2" long
overall length about 4"

striker about 3" long

weight 34g including supplied cord

i found one on ebay exact same one as mine for your visual

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
+1 for the Light My Fire rod that I have it produces a fireworks display of sparks with ease - no guarantee that they are all the same though.

Having said that, the bulk pack of 10 I bought to put handles on myself work perfectly well once the hard coating is removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Yeh that's similar to what I have, it's good, but it's very dinky and I suspect it won't be long before it runs its course.
it sure is dinky, yet mine is mainly used if i forget to take a lighter of if lighter runs-out of fuel or packs-up
work perfectly well once the hard coating is removed.
the coating has caught out many a folk and they dismiss some rods as rubbish or freeze or cannot boil water for safety etcetera because of failure to prepare before use

then there are different techniques thus different results for different folk

as anyone who watch Gray Bearded Green Beret will know

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I use the LMF rods.
They are a little harder than they used to be but with a good sharp knife spine or striker you get a decent shower of white hot sparks,

Some of the cheaper ones tend to be a bit hard.

The coating is generally Oxidisation of the rod on any that I have used
If you have longer intervals between usage then you will generally need to gently scrape the black down to bright rod before you will get the big sparks

Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE