Best Ferro Rod device

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What is the best modern firelighter Ferro rod based device you've seen or used?

And what makes it the best?

I've seen the orginal blocks of Magnesium with a Ferro rod glued in , Exotac products , A lot of the Light my Fire ones - but which do you consider is the best and why?

I'm looking for something that has the ability to contain some dry tinder in around the rod and is sealable - but that is my criteria - what is yours?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The light my fire ones are the best general firesteels out there, a bit soft for my use, but still good. I am really not impressed at all with the exotac firesteels, really rubbish sparks.

I use an unknown brand Chinese firesteel from a trusted seller, which is quite hard, but I find prefect for my use. I will see if I can find a link, it has been a while....?

But going branded, the Ray Mears Woodlore firesteel is very good and would be my choice over the light my fire ones, as they are a little harder, and can really throw sparks.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The light my fire ones are the best general firesteels out there, a bit soft for my use, but still good. I am really not impressed at all with the exotac firesteels, really rubbish sparks.

I use an unknown brand Chinese firesteel from a trusted seller, which is quite hard, but I find prefect for my use. I will see if I can find a link, it has been a while....?

But going branded, the Ray Mears Woodlore firesteel is very good and would be my choice over the light my fire ones, as they are a little harder, and can really throw sparks.
I second the RM ones - I have a couple - they definitely are hotter and fatter sparks than a LMF version.

I carry tinder in a zip lock baggie in my pocket or bag

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Haven't seen anything that I thought looked a neat way of carry both rod & tinder.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have an Exotac NanoSpark , which is a flint throwing rotatory wheel and a small waterproof compartment for a tinder source - this is a good idea i think but would like the same with a ferro rod being the ignition source. I may need to cannibalize an old torch body housing unless i can find a suitable suggestion.,

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have an Exotac NanoSpark , which is a flint throwing rotatory wheel and a small waterproof compartment for a tinder source - this is a good idea i think but would like the same with a ferro rod being the ignition source. I may need to cannibalize an old torch body housing unless i can find a suitable suggestion.,

Do you want to keep the ferro-rod inside the contraption aswell? Or will it be seperate?

You could use a delrin battery case - these are water tight. Get one of the larger ones and have your ferro rod attached via a lanyard maybe??

You can get them from EDCgear UK (I have bought a couple) the one for CR123 sized batteries is a decent size for tinder - I use one and can take photos of you like?

• Love

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Do you want to keep the ferro-rod inside the contraption aswell? Or will it be seperate?

You could use a delrin battery case - these are water tight. Get one of the larger ones and have your ferro rod attached via a lanyard maybe??

You can get them from EDCgear UK (I have bought a couple) the one for CR123 sized batteries is a decent size for tinder - I use one and can take photos of you like?

Yes please -good idea! also , I'm assuming - that floats??

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If want a larger capsules look at scuba divers capsules, they go up in size to holding modern day electronic car keys. Like https://dryfob.com/ though they are made in china and look to be way over priced.

The idea I have in my head, is to use fireplugs/dental rolls as tinder as come in standard sizes.
They are around <1cm diameter, and usually 38mm long. So can stack them to rough size of the ferrorod. So the "container" would look like a double barrel shotgun barrel.

The fireplug side needs to open from both ends, so can use the ferro rod as push rod to get the fireplugs out.
Add a scraper edge on the outside.

Prototype would be get some boba tea straws and stick them together.

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
You can’t get much better than the Light My Fire Ferro rods (army size)
I made a video on YouTube a few years ago about the best usage. Please have a look see what you think.

As for storing tinder with it, why not just collect dry combustible material on your travels, if it’s damp it’ll dry in your trouser pockets.

Reactions: DocG

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

I've seen the orginal blocks of Magnesium with a Ferro rod glued in , Exotac products , A lot of the Light my Fire ones - but which do you consider is the best and why?

I'm looking for something that has the ability to contain some dry tinder in around the rod and is sealable - but that is my criteria - what is yours?
the ones from the bushcraft store. they about a fiver. really good

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I have one of these

UST Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce w/ Tinder Fire Starter

I got mine years ago but I can't find a UK supplier. They have a fearsome firesteel and a couple of esbit(?) tablets in the handle

Hth

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I'd forgotten about the UST. I recall Gerber had a version and I had one in black and it was my first firesteel.

Good handles, sharp scraper and one of the best spark rods I've had.

Came with wet fire tinder in a sealed compartment. I lost mine somewhere in the distant past.

Anyone got one to sell... This version looks out of production?

Reactions: slasha9

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
YouTube just recommended a video of this, a ferro rod version of a rope lighter.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

All ferro rods are good it’s tinder that’s important a curled peice birch bark with its skin finely shaved takes a tiny spark n combusts instantly start from bottom so flame catches curled bit

Reactions: Poacherman

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
On the cheap, would a vitamin tube do the job? One of the ones that have those fizzy jobs in?
Nick (Hidden Valley) did a match pot with one. I can't find it at the moment.
You can wrap it in inner tube for extra tinder, and probably fit a ferro rod without a handle inside, with extra tinder?

Weighs almost nothing, as a tube, and is waterproof. I put mine in the sink to make sure!
You could even get lucky and find one in a recycling bin if you don't want the cost, or the vitamins (and their alleged health-benefitting properties)! :naughty:

Reactions: TeeDee and SaraR

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
On the cheap, would a vitamin tube do the job? One of the ones that have those fizzy jobs in?
Nick (Hidden Valley) did a match pot with one. I can't find it at the moment.
You can wrap it in inner tube for extra tinder, and probably fit a ferro rod without a handle inside, with extra tinder?

Weighs almost nothing, as a tube, and is waterproof. I put mine in the sink to make sure!
You could even get lucky and find one in a recycling bin if you don't want the cost, or the vitamins (and their alleged health-benefitting properties)! :naughty:
That's what I use. They are great for making mini fishing or first aid kits too.
I keep about 3feet of gaffer tape on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_085830.jpg
    IMG_20230426_085830.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 11

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE