UK-made outdoor gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
There are a few world class manufacturers in this country (not necessarily in the outdoors sector). They tend to be niche markets though. Ours is one such company and we export our product right around the world. We don't have to market our products as most of the players come to us anyway.

We are not alone neither. I've come across quite a few SMEs that export UK made stuff right around the world. I also know that the government through various agencies throws money at them for various things. We used to get a BusinessLink guy coming in all the time to see what they can do for us. If only the banks are as friendly, bunch of A.holes.

Amen goodjob

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Terra Nova tents are made in Vietnam - at least my new Ultra Quasar was. I rang them up and they said they had switched all manufacturing some time ago.
On the other hand my vintage purple Karrimor Alpiniste rucsack is signed by a nice lady from Accrington

NS

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
So far I think we have the following UK made gear: -

PHD - down stuff
Aiguille Alpine - Sacks, bags, pouches, throwbags/lines, canoeing gear, etc.
Alpkit - socks only
Furtech - Paramo style of clothing
Cioch, slioch - niche clothing manufacturers (made to measure and ventile,
Mountain King - trekking poles made up in the NE England.
Howies (not sure onthis but it is a brand based in N Wales) - Clothing (ethical origins).
Bison Bushcraft - knives and other things
Hilltrek - clothing
Snowsled - clothing
Extreme Outdoor Clothing - clothing they do Karisma type of fleece tops and trews
Altberg - boots
Terra Nova - someof their tent range is made here but only the high end stuff I believe.
POD - sacks although not sure they are still made here. Part of the same group (Equip) as Rab is now.
Mardale - pertex/pile stuff like buffalo stuff.
Buffalo Systems - Arguably THE brand for pertex/pile stuff
Robert Saunders - Tents, but not sure if these are UK made these days.

Is that it? Seventeen British outdoor gear manufacturers.

Nearly forgot, I heard of a Cumbrian based manufacturer of kelly type of kettles but its a cottage industry sort of company.

Then you could always add the loads of British makers on this site, but they are probably not companies but people making and selling on for the love of the craft. :D

You forgot SASS as was mentioned. Very well made, in the UK and great service.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi there,

Just thought i'd let you know that we're making packs in the UK, Cardiff, maybe we could be added to the list.

QUOTE]

You most certainely can guys.

Some tough looking rucksacks there.

I will send you a PM about advertising on the site and what to do if you wish to become a Trader on here.

Cheers

George

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Trailwise canvas gaiters-made in Manchester

No-one has mentioned UK Hammocks yet!

Rohan are Uk based

Keela

We have some of the worlds very best kayak manufacturers-Valley, North shore, Rockpool, Nigel Dennis, P&H. All made in the UK and shipped round the world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE