UK Made - fire resistant windproof/waterproof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Speak for yourself ;) More like, most of us have thought about the risk of getting too close to a fire and going up like a torch while wearing various polyesters and nylons, but have then deemed that the risk is fairly minimal, compared to the risks of minor cuts and burns unrelated to clothing, or setting our tents on fire while trying to cook while huddling somewhere out of the wind and rain :D.

I agree though that its an interestingly worded question. The usual question, and that which people are answering, is for a coat that won't melt from sparks or momentary contact with a hot coal. JayOram has however asked about a coat that he can use "...in and around fire..." . Why on earth do you need to be IN the fire?!? Not really within the scope of this site, if we think you are asking the usual question and recommend waxed cotton or similar, and you end up as the human torch when you try wearing it in a fire...:p not sure what our liability would be!

Don't be silly. If he's IN the fire....he wont need a coat at all lol

slightly more seriously, as for setting yourself on fire. I grew up in the time of the shell suit! Those things were bloody death traps. I'm sure the friction from running could set the cheap sunday market knock offs a flame

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You think shell suits were bad ? I grew up in the era of crimpelene trousers. I can still hear the screams of my childhood friend as his caught fire and stuck to his leg. It melted and stuck like napalm. Even after grafts his leg looks like someone stirred the skin with a dirty stick.

It's over forty years ago and I hadn't realised that it still affected me. I'm really rather shocked at how much it's still fresh in my mind here.

Don't wear nylon or man made fibres around a fire. Please. Just don't
Sorry, rather channeling Mrs Reagan there, but please don't.

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
yep, i had a school friend that got burned too, cost him a nipple! Sticks with ya eh (unintended bad pun)

To the o.p. as above ventile or have a word with twodogs on here

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You think shell suits were bad ? I grew up in the era of crimpelene trousers. I can still hear the screams of my childhood friend as his caught fire and stuck to his leg. It melted and stuck like napalm. Even after grafts his leg looks like someone stirred the skin with a dirty stick.

It's over forty years ago and I hadn't realised that it still affected me. I'm really rather shocked at how much it's still fresh in my mind here.

Don't wear nylon or man made fibres around a fire. Please. Just don't
Sorry, rather channeling Mrs Reagan there, but please don't.

M

I set fire to my shirt once, I was standing too close to a hot plate, I felt a bit warm, looked round and saw flames engulfing my shirt tail, fortunatley I ripped it off my back before any damage was done, It was a brushed cotton lumberjack shirt, so fortunately did not melt all over me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a good reminder too.
When I was little tv 'Nanny State' type (I don't think that was really a bad thing though, I really don't. It got good clear information out to the population) adverts had a shocker of one with a little girl in a brushed cotton nightie getting too near a fire. Nothing graphic but a flash of flame and a scream got the message across.

M

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Having not lived in the UK for the last 30 years,I am a little out of touch, but WWK (Workwear King) make waxed cotton clothing which might suit. Not as outrageously expensive as Barbour . Made in England no less.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You want to be looking at industrial site work jackets. Google flame retardant jacket. Some, but not all are waterproof. If you don't mind high visibility, there's loads. The most bushcraft colour I've seen is mid brown.

Yeah, I have one that the mains cable jointers use, waterproof (Gore Tex membrane built in) flame resistant and electrically resistant if I remember right.
Its Hi Viz yellow and should cost a few hundred quid though.

Never even looked where it was made, I'll have a look later on today.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think the classic workman's donkey jacket would be pretty good.

If you have a decent fire going, big enough to really worry about flames or sparks, then a bit of drizzle isn't much of a worry. A thick wool jumper or jacket is going to throw off light rain anyway.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I suspect that this is a subject that many of us have pondered over the years, I certainly have.

I already have Ventile and FJ (No8) smocks which fit some of the criteria but I've hankered after something that I don't have to pull over my head and I'm not overly worried about damaging.

I've been looking for a lightweight 'bomber' style jacket for around-fire-use (a 'fire jacket!') something along the lines of that in the image but not synthetic,
H2osanit.jpg

which can be used over the top of either my Brit mil surplus softie or my Austrian surplus woolly pulley during the brown season or cool nights in the green.
(When it's warm enough I just use a polycotton shirt - Austrian KA03 surplus).

I've thought about making one from scratch (time!) or modd-ing something existing.

Criteria - made from a reasonably decent cotton; lightweight; simple design; unlined; folds up small; suitable colour - i.e. olive drab! (are there other colours?:lmao:)

I wouldn't bother with it having to be totally waterproof - most stuff that is, is usually inflammable/melt-able. I'd just create an inner waterproof shoulder yoke from a piece of scrap GTX or similar.

I would say that JF is probably right re Ventile being a good material choice its just so bl**dy expensive.

Notably only about 18 months ago I saw an unlined cotton bomber style jacket in a military surplus store, possibly WW2 or up to late '60s vintage (in olive drab!) which would have been spot on if it had been the correct size for me.

The search goes on.....................

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Tony/Jayoram - I've already tried something that looks very similar. (Same material; same price; same style) Image 1. shows it.
It was polycotton - very thin polycotton with a very thin nylon liner. (I also had another one -same outer, same liner but with a lightweight filling in between.
View attachment 45065

They were nice and comfortable (loose fitting) if you bought the correct size i.e. roomy as opposed to Gucci! but very, very weak material if you really get into the green stuff - easily snagged, ripped and probably because the material was so thin not very spark resistant.

I upgraded the lesser-lined version with arm/elbow and shoulder patches (to cover most of the holes!) and it makes a good summer jacket if you aren't doing anything too potentially damaging. It does shed some light rain but not too prolonged (BTW - 'Quarpel' made interesting reading Tony).

I would still prefer a full front zippered type (see image 2 - which is also polycotton) in a more suitable material, i.e. Ventile and costing no mare than £35. :lmao:
View attachment 45066

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
British army windproof smock or some similar variants? Practical, hold up wind and weather fairly well, good for layering. Won't burn without some effort.

Or in more civvies colours and more stylish. The m65 jacket. Can be worn year round in the woods or in the pub. And I think fits all the qualities you're looking for in a jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE