UK Made - fire resistant windproof/waterproof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Hey everyone,

Really want a jacket I can use in and around fire that is waterproof/windproof.

Preferably made in the UK - does anybody have a recommendation?

Weight not too much of an issue as won't be carrying too far on my back :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Barbour. Buy a waxed jacket.

Or better yet, get hold of Twodogs and he'll make you one :D

M

I had a Barbour once, and to be honest I have had better and cheaper since, it simply was not up to spec. So far as waxed cotton goes , I have long had a drizabone knock off that has lasted years, and then when my bergens moredahl smock failed the waterproof test I waxed it and it improved no end, though it is not long for this world and allotment wear these days. I guess though the most durable of outdoor coats I have is an old soldier 95, which is nowadays almost respectable since DPM has gone vintage and respectable, I have had it so long it is time out of mind and for a tenner which is what I payed for it, probably the best bargain of the lot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was simply that he asked for British made :)
I made my own wax jacket, but Twodogs has been making some excellent wax 'raindog' jackets recently too :D

That said, my oldest jacket is a Barbour and it's now thirty years old and still sound. It's just so faded that it looks totally disreputable anywhere but in the garden or up to my eyeballs in mud :rolleyes:

M

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
You want to be looking at industrial site work jackets. Google flame retardant jacket. Some, but not all are waterproof. If you don't mind high visibility, there's loads. The most bushcraft colour I've seen is mid brown.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Barbour and other waxed jackets burn like a candle. He asked for a fire retardant one.

In fact I think his question is highly interesting. Not many of us, if anybody, has thought of the risk of catching fire while sitting close to a fire, correct?

Decades ago I managed to melt a pair of Lundhags boots, the lower part.

Speak for yourself ;) More like, most of us have thought about the risk of getting too close to a fire and going up like a torch while wearing various polyesters and nylons, but have then deemed that the risk is fairly minimal, compared to the risks of minor cuts and burns unrelated to clothing, or setting our tents on fire while trying to cook while huddling somewhere out of the wind and rain :D.

I agree though that its an interestingly worded question. The usual question, and that which people are answering, is for a coat that won't melt from sparks or momentary contact with a hot coal. JayOram has however asked about a coat that he can use "...in and around fire..." . Why on earth do you need to be IN the fire?!? Not really within the scope of this site, if we think you are asking the usual question and recommend waxed cotton or similar, and you end up as the human torch when you try wearing it in a fire...:p not sure what our liability would be!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My wax jacket has been worn around fires for most of it's life, and I've never gone up like a candle. I've seen 'plastic' jackets melt, spark hole, shrivel up and crisp as they burn though.

It is neither burned, spark holed, scorched or melted :)

Which is why I suggested a wax jacket in the first place.

M

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a olive green smock for wearing next to the fire. It'll still get singed but i haven't burnt any holes in it yet. Its not too much of an issue unless your wearing something synthetic (Like a softie or buffalo etc..) as an outer layer.

Tonyuk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
What you need is a Wool Capote !

Not really waterproof as such , but wool retains thermal properties even when it's wet ,
It's fairly fireproof/retardant and in a close enough weave it will be windproof too .

Somehow , I feel this isn't the answer you were looking for ...

:)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My wax jacket has been worn around fires for most of it's life, and I've never gone up like a candle. I've seen 'plastic' jackets melt, spark hole, shrivel up and crisp as they burn though.

It is neither burned, spark holed, scorched or melted :)

Which is why I suggested a wax jacket in the first place.

M

I guess the most risky period for wax jackets is when they have been newly rewaxed, before the volatile solvents have fully evaporated.

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Hey - Seems I worded it terribly!

I'm not planning on being 'IN' the fire, I mean, I have had Gore-tex/nylon/melty jackets for all my outdoor related trips, but having used older jackets that end up with singe marks and burn holes etc. I wanted a ventile/cotton/waxed jacket that would be good for all around bushcraft and being up close with fire lighting, cooking etc. and not get damaged, if possible.

What do you guys where as an outer layer in the usual british rain?

If not UK made, then what would you suggest?

Jay

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I guess the most risky period for wax jackets is when they have been newly rewaxed, before the volatile solvents have fully evaporated.

I would think so too. I know mine gets done, but hang it out in the sunshine and it goes as soft as fine leather in the warmth, and from then on, it's perfect :)

M

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hey - Seems I worded it terribly!

I'm not planning on being 'IN' the fire, I mean, I have had Gore-tex/nylon/melty jackets for all my outdoor related trips, but having used older jackets that end up with singe marks and burn holes etc. I wanted a ventile/cotton/waxed jacket that would be good for all around bushcraft and being up close with fire lighting, cooking etc. and not get damaged, if possible.

What do you guys where as an outer layer in the usual british rain?

If not UK made, then what would you suggest?

Jay

If your wanting an outerlayer for rain just stick with a thin waterproof shell that can be put on when it starts then packed away at other times. All good shells will have a synthetic fabric outer so likely to melt if embers hit it.

Anything heavy enough to stand up to embers (and also be waterproof) will be too hot to walk in imho.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
When I used to do outdoor site work, unless it was really windy and sleeting, I'd always be warm from leaping around like a monkey all day long. If it was torrential rain all day, to be honest it didn't matter what I wore, as the water from my face, hands or boots ended up gradually running inside my fancy work gear and I'd be wet through anyway. Warm and wet was actually okay when I got used to it, then gradually dried off in the van on the way home.

So when I'm busy in the forest grubbing about chopping wood or playing with fire it's the same scenario, so I just wear some standard £9 primark trousers (they're surprisingly resilient) which dry off by the fire if they get wet, a wool jumper and a regatta rain shell I bought for £30 which works great and I worry a lot less about than if I'm wearing expensive gear. They're all olive green so I still look the part. :)

Obviously everyone has their preferred way of doing things, and some people love buying the finest clothing for their bushcrafting which always looks great.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Thanks for posting about Endicott's Toddy. I've not heard of them and they look to have all kinds of interestings. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE