UK Home Office Consultation on Banning Offensive Weapons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A couple of my earlier responses that may be deemed non political enough to post and amuse

5. Are there other weapons which have been used in violent crime that should be banned?

Well, to continue to ban everything that has ever been used in a crime one should include rolling pins

6. If so, how are these weapons best described?

A round wooden object traditionally used in preparing dough but often forming an impromptu club or baton

Red

A couple of my earlier responses that may be deemed non political enough to post and amuse

5. Are there other weapons which have been used in violent crime that should be banned?

Well, to continue to ban everything that has ever been used in a crime one should include rolling pins

A round wooden object traditionally used in preparing dough but often forming an impromptu club or baton

Red

How about tights/stockings. After all, many armed robbers have used them to disguise their faces, and they have also been used as a garrote. Very dangerous things, tights.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
water! there was a program on last week where they made a sharp instrument from ice in the quest for the undetecable crime. The weapon went right through a chunk of beef so is surely dangerous- call the police :cop: :twak:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
[
COLOR="DarkOrchid"]5. Are there other weapons which have been used in violent crime that should be banned?[/COLOR]
Snooker balls in a sock

hard round ball used in sport with a piece of clothing for feet.
So they should ban snooker and socks in my opinion:bluThinki .It is a minority sport and I don't like, i don't understand it and its boring so they should ban it. That what we have a goverment for. And socks what use are they? The only poeple that wear socks are men and hikers and they are going to made illegal soon. :red:

[I am been sarcastic I think goverments shouldn't ban anything from a sport they obviously don't understand]

P

Philr

Reading this, makes me think they are looking in the wrong direction ie Knives / swords are not the issue here but the people which use them, and you can not make it illegall (so far as i know ) to ban and irradicate the person rather than the implement, as im sure if they are going to do you in they will find another means to do so.

There is approx 3500 deaths a year attributed to the motor vehicles surly we should be looking to ban them..........

:AR15firin

xylaria

Consultation = we'll pretend to listen to comments but if we don't agree with what you're saying we'll do what we wanted to in the first place anyway.

Why waste your breath on a bigot

Bigots just don't understand why someone should think differently them. We basically are ruled by people that don't understand why:
Why anyone likes swords
why anyone wants to live in terraced house north of watford
Why anyone whats to hunt, fish ...
Why anyone finds caring for children rewarding in its self
what airguns should be used for
Why buying a second home in rural areas annoys the locals

The reason they don't understand is because despite having policies that 'actively engage' in consulting what ever poor patronized blighters they going to pick on, they are bunch of bigots that think they are superior in every manner.

By the way I enjoy sword fighting, but I think edged swords should sold in simerlar way shot guns to public and not sold on ebay or pound shops. But I know my opinion is meaningless as i have sat on health board committees and have attempted to actively engage them in the listening process. the pills i have been on since have just kicked in so rant over.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
It seems to me that the consultation is yet another example of government doing what is politically expedient, and feeling the need to be seen to be addressing a problem.

Anything can be used as an offensive weapon. It’s not the object that is the problem, it’s the behaviour of those who use objects to assault others, that needs to be addressed.

I’m getting ‘deja view’ with this one. The only thing that the UK ban on handguns achieved, was to deprive law abiding citizens with properly registered firearms, the pleasure of pistol shooting. Those who disregard the law, continue to use firearms to injure and kill their victims. The ban achieved little or nothing.

Best regards,
Paul.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
about 90% of knife crime is done with £3 kitchen knifes or stanley knifes
why is there always 12 inch rambo jobs in the papers?
you could't walk right with one down your jeans anyway
and if you did try to kill someone with it (not that any of us on here ever would)
you would run away with just the handle if it's off ebay
it's not the knife it's the penson useing it

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Consultations are not done because they want your opinions. They are there so that, when they finished imposing whatever it is they want to impose, they can tell everyone: Well, don't complain, mate: we consulted you and you agreed to this.:( . As far as we poor joe public is concerned, they are a complete farce and waste of time..

I am just a cynical old Joe Public:D

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
What a joke! This proposal is so flawed it's not funny - it's not an april fools is it? The thing that gets me the most is that we've all been paying for these idiots to come up with this rubbish!

Main point - they can only quote 6 cases of 'samrai swords' being used in the last 6 years, ok that's 6 too many, but would banning them mean they wouldn't have used some other type of weapon - of course not!

Secondly, the definition 'a curved, single edged sword (sometimes known as a “samurai sword”)' - so if it's double sided then that's fine - go for it, not curved - also no problem, hack away!

It's so lame I can't believe it - this is a wind up right?

Just in case it's not - I hope everyone who's contributed to this thread has also emailed your thoughts to these jokers - Offensiveweapons@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Going for a calming walk now.....

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The only difference between a tool (or a collectors' piece) and a weapon is the intent of the person wielding it. It's logical when you think about it - the government should ban hands. After all, Ii it can't be picked up it can't be misused - or would that be going a tad too far? :censored:

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
if we tell them what else can be used as a weapon they will ban-
metal pens
house keys
screwdrivers
chisels
maglites
i could go on but you get the idea
like i said it's the penson not the item they use ban one they will find another-
i watch 24 too much!

xylaria

And don't forget
Bare hands
Feet preferbly with boots on
Beer cans
plastic forks
Pencils
Bed sheets
Chairs
tables
Staircases
desks
and pillows
Razorblades and toothbrushes

are all well known weapons if you were educated in a Prison.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE