UK based Parang seller

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I find the mod golock pretty good, keep it sharp keep it oiled and it'll do what ever you ask of it, except make the coffee which was a down side, as thats why I took it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Indeed, but what is a parang? I can't seem to find a definitive shape

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

In my view a parang is more about how it's sharpened and how you use it than what shape it is. It's a multi-purpose tool which allows you to present different parts of the edge to the work depending on what you're doing. The edge will generally have a part which is sharpened for toughness (it will be around the middle and towards the point, the part that is used for chopping) and parts sharpened more finely for slicing, skinning and carving, near the point and handle. It tends to be more convenient, and it tends to keep the finer parts of the edge clear of the work when chopping, if the blade is strongly curved. I see a machete as a more single-purpose tool for cutting through brush, and it will tend to have a straighter and quite likely a longer blade. The very long blade pictured in your post says 'machete' to me, I wouldn't see myself using it to prepare a meal.

Woody

Forager
I had a parang many years ago which I purchased whilst at TTB in Brunei but sold it once I left the military. :( I have the option of going to South America shortly and would like to take a parang with me. Is there anybody in the UK that sells them? I have Googled and looked through a number of forums for a UK-based seller but have not been able to find them. I do not want to pay the earth and would be grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction.

I know some people are fans of issued golok, but I never took to them myself. :thankyou:

EP,
I am over in Brunei at the moment .. I can drop in to TTB / JWW and and grab you one, I am back in the trees tomorrow for a week so will be out of comms until next Wednesday but can definitely get some. I gabbed some the other day ... the going price is 50 quid ... The $Bn exchange rate is not healthy at the moment ( I will have to charge P+P as well if I post it... Soz!)

Let me know

Woody

Ps ... do you remember Luyoh the head Iban at TTB ... he is being presented the MBE tonight for his services to the MOD .. well deserved

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
EP,
I am over in Brunei at the moment .. I can drop in to TTB / JWW and and grab you one, I am back in the trees tomorrow for a week so will be out of comms until next Wednesday but can definitely get some. I gabbed some the other day ... the going price is 50 quid ... The $Bn exchange rate is not healthy at the moment ( I will have to charge P+P as well if I post it... Soz!)

Let me know

Woody

Ps ... do you remember Luyoh the head Iban at TTB ... he is being presented the MBE tonight for his services to the MOD .. well deserved

Good man Woody thats very kind of you indeed. Would you be able to bring one back and I could RV with you in Hereford. I am heading down that way to meet a few of the lad, one a mutual friend (Jim F), and that way theres no issue with payment. :thankyou:

Good news about Luyoh. I'm not sure that 'Luyoh MBE' sounds the same but good news all the same. That was the man who introduced me to cooking Barking Dog Deer and the rest of the delights of Jungle Tucker. :eek:

Woody

Forager
EP, Atross

Apologies for yet another delay .. back in UK/Hereford now and can finally get an image up

parangs.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

If you are able to drop by the office you will be better able to try the different ones I have (about 50 of them)

The top one is V. heavy duty. Good for heavy duty chopping

The second one (Middle) is a little lighter, Medium chopping and clearing undergrowth

The third (Bottom) one is much lighter, great for clearing scrub/vines etc, will tackle medium chopping but you wouldn't want to go to heavy (This one/type is the only one that has the carved cord loop, the others are clean on both sides)

Below are a few answers to the inevitable questions

Weights: I don't know, they are all different
Rockwell: haven't a clue!
Makers: Iban friends of mine
Wood type: haven't a clue!
Carriage: Normally attached by a piece of cord.

PM me for any other details or call/email Becky in the office to arrange pick-up/purchase

Regards

Woody

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Where is your office.....Oh just looked at your site!

Can you P.M the price of the middle one?

Are we able to just drop in to the office or is it prior app only?

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE