UK based Parang seller

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My favourite machete is one of these. I've given mine all kinds of abuse and it's withstood it well. For the price of them it has to be worth a try. If your hands are soft you'll need some tape for the handle, they aren't usually well fitted. I never bother, even though my dog chewed off some of the handle. Thick skin I suppose. :)

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I've a parang on the bench at the moment as it happens ;) It's a similar blade to the one I have in the traders section, but this has a beech handle and will have a leather sheath I expect.

I'll post a picture next week when its done :)

Sounds great Dave, giz a look pronto mate!
Chris.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
My favourite machete is one of these. I've given mine all kinds of abuse and it's withstood it well. For the price of them it has to be worth a try. If your hands are soft you'll need some tape for the handle, they aren't usually well fitted. I never bother, even though my dog chewed off some of the handle. Thick skin I suppose. :)

What is it ged, the link doen't load for me.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
What is it ged, the link doen't load for me.

Oh, that's odd. It still works for me. Try this instead? Or go to Heinnie's site and type Tramontina into the search box or just use Google or Yahoo to search for Tramontina machete".

They're very commonly available, cheap, tough, do the job, several sizes to suit your taste. I have a small one (my favourite for hacking around in the woods) and a big one (will split logs:)).

Gotta log off now.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
IF YOUR GOING for the tramontina go for the 14 inch i had the 18 inch and found it to springy so i cut mine down to 12 inch and its great now inmo regards dave

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Does anyone want to comment on the quality of these (including related products) ? ...

I use quite a few Silverline tools. In the main I find them OK. Chinese high-speed steel drill bits haven't been a great success for me but I don't think I've had any from Silverline. To be honest a lot of the cheap Chinese tools are junk. The Silverline product I use most is their tungsten carbide tipped disc saw blades. The equivalent disc from e.g. Bosch is five times the price. I use the nail cutting variety, I use it practically every day (trying not to hit too many nails with it:)) and it's fine. Every year on my birthday I fit a new blade whether it needs it or not.

There's a place just down the road from my office that sells quite a lot of Silverline stuff, if I see any machetes there I'll pick up a couple and give them a try. They're about a quarter of the price of even the cheap ones from Tramontina, so I won't expect a lot but if they'll hold some sort of an edge they'll be useful.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Not a perang though, as per the OP:rolleyes:

Indeed, but what is a parang? I can't seem to find a definitive shape

parang.jpg

Parang_01.jpg

ttoy225.JPG

ParangNaburDam.JPG

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
There are many types but the most frequently favored is the Parang Kota as per my picture nitrambur. This is version used often seen on the hip of Ray Mears and was no doubt recommended to him by UKSF guys who often use this type during jungle training in Brunei.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Nearest I can find for sale in the UK is the MOD issue jungle machete that's said to be a cross between a parang and a golok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE