UCO candle lanterns in tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Anyone else got the LED bit that fits on the bottom of the UCO? It's a great addition to an already great little lamp. I've used mine in a tent and hammock/bivvy and tarp and wouldn't be without it now.

I got mine here LINK

no connection etc just a good price for them I think.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I once headbutted a cheap UCO copy hanging in my tent which spilt molten wax down my face, ear and a brand new Berghaus fleece I'd just bought. It was a daft design with huge vents round the bottom and as soon as the tea light tilted it all came pouring out.

I was thinking about making one, I think Ill pass now.
That sounds painfull. :eek:

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Anyone else got the LED bit that fits on the bottom of the UCO? It's a great addition to an already great little lamp. I've used mine in a tent and hammock/bivvy and tarp and wouldn't be without it now.

I got mine here LINK

no connection etc just a good price for them I think.

Some pound shops and b and m stores are selling packets of four LED tealights which include batteries. worth a punt at 4 for a quid!
Ikea do big packs of real tealights cheaply and you can get citronella ones that act as a deterrent to midges etc.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Or get one of these from Germany :pokenest:
Petromax folding lantern ,
02082009831.jpg

Twodogs

A lovely piece of kit that.

badawg

Apr 7, 2010
California
I have been using a Uco for 20 years. Same one too. It has never given me any trouble and does not leak. Recently but the oil lamp section as I wanted to try it out and it's much brighter than the candle, but only lasts about 2/3ds the time of a candle.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Ok, quick review.
Bought one of these candle lanterns from ebay and it arrived today. Quick delivery (no collection blah blah blah).
Came boxed and wrapped so it's new.
Overall feel is flimsy and cheap. The glass rattles in the metal frame, Made in the Peopel's Republic of China stamped in the bottom and the oil burning wick suffers yet again the old problem of cheap wicks in that turning the knob to raise it, it doesn't. The oil compartment is about the size of two tea lights.
It comes with a "long life" burning candle much like the Uco ones. I'll light it tonight and take photos.
Pros: It's cheap and will probably do the job.
Cons: It's cheap, nasty feeling and won't last long, not well put together.

If you want something cheap then go for it, if you want quality then get the Uco.

Addendum: Lighting test. One word - carp.
Guess i'm getting an Uco.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE