Tyre sandals?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I remember years ago when I was an early teenager seeing the idea of making sandals out of old car tyres. Maybe Tom Elpel?

My Dad helped me find some and I attempted to make some. The wire inner rim and the mesh on the track made it next to impossible to achieve, then combined with the width of the tread versus my foot width, they were a bit over the top.

It was good fun as a young lad though. :D

So anyway, the other day I came across some old tyres. A few must be either smaller motorbike or something, and I think they might be a possible choice. Just something to mess about at. (Yes, I expect they'll look hideous. :D )

I'm just curious if anyone else ever made tyre sandals, successfully or not. :cool:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Just googled thesehttp://www.solerebelsfootwear.co/pages/recycled-tire-soles
Downhill skaters street lugers have been gluing tyres to their shoes for years, one run can destroy a pair of shoes.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Might be better to try and find some mountain bike tyres has many of these have fabric or even kevlar beads and supports as opposed to car ad motorbike tyres that have steel beads and supports.

Having the steel carcase become exposed mid way through a walk would be a nightmare for your feet.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The Tarahumara people in Mexico make their own huarache sandals with car tyres for soles. Lots about them on the web

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaha loving the Secret Policeman's Ball take offs.

The Viet Cong turned old tyres into shoes IIRC.

Liam

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
The Viet Cong's original idea was marketed as Uncle Ho's Sandals a while back. e-bay was full of them!

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
I remember trailbusters where very popular with South Africans visiting London about 15 years ago. you could see them a mile off with their red laces and car tyre soles. Amused the Kiwis and Aussies no end. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE