Tying secure knots in thin polyester cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I bought some 1.2mm 'blind lift polyester cord' for use when I needed cord significantly thinner than paracord (and its clones).

I find it very strong but knots made with it don't lock in the same way as with paracord or string - they tend to slip. I guess it is not gripping to itself.

Are there any particular techniques (other than covering the knot in glue) that will help make secure fastenings/loops etc with this type of cord?

(Yes I know I could use the inner of 'proper' paracord but a lot of the time, in my view, it would be wasteful to do that.)

All help gratefuly recdeived.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
+1 on what Mike says, fishing knots are useful. A fig 8 should hold, as should a double overhand loop. The perfection loop is another good one and easy to remember.

Paul K showed me on the woodwork course about locking slipknots with this type of slippy cord-just pull another bight through the original bights loop and pull tight :)

Also, giving more wraps to a friction hold knot like a Prussic works. Googling "knots for amsteel" and "knots for dyneema braid" should give some more good ideas-if it can hold with Dyneema anything else will be fine :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE