Turps- Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Okeedokee,

got to get this out of my head and onto the forum.

When finishing scales, it seems to be common practice (judging by the threads on the forum) that your oil of choice (Boiled linseed, Danish, Tung, olive oil, etc) is thinned down, usually by turpentine to allow the oil to penetrate the wood. Okay so far, this i understand. One of the recuring theme's i have read on the posts is that Turps substitue or white spirit should not be used.

What i'd like to know is, why not white spirit? Surely it would only act as a thinning medium before evaporating? Please bear in mind that i am not a chemist so i would not understand the intricate details of what white spirit is made of, but i would like to understand if this is a big no no, or is it just that turpentine is a prefered method due to it's natural make up?

The reason i ask is that i have been to B&Q, Homebase, Wicks, the local hardware shop and everywhere else and all they sell is turps substitue and white spirit.

Anybody got any pearls of wisdom for me?

leon-1

You can still get genuine turps.

do a google search for Barrettine Genuine Turpentine.

I can get the stuff from my local Trago Mills, it is normally under woodcare products or worst comes to the worst look in an art shop as they may have the stuff for dealing with oil paints.

leon-1

There probably is, but I am not going to bluff you as I don't honestly know:).

Next time I'm out at Trago I'll check the price on the stuff and if you make the Bushmoot give me a bell and I'll pick some up for you and bring it along, that is if you have no joy getting hold of it.

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Both are solvents and do the job I couldn't tell you about the difference in finish they give. There is a personal choice whether you want to use something which is more sound from a renewable perspective. Turps is a plant derived solvent and hence a renewable. White spirit is produced from crude oil and not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

Hope this helps.

Joe.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depending on the glues you use to hold the knife together (and any dyes in the handle), white spirit has more of a tendency thatn pure turps to dissolve them! It tends to be a little stickiness or softening at the surface, but it's enough. I personally don't like to use turps either, I prefer to warm the whole lot up together and create a vacuum. That way the oil goes in further with no solvents at all ;)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I was told that Turpentine is a plant product and has more affinity for the wood. Sounds a bit new-agish but it sort of makes sense. Well it did to me at the time.

I also prefer the smell.

If you have a Robert Dyas anywhere - they have it usually.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Genuine turpentine is distilled from resin, generally pine. It is made from a natural product but still can you problems, the vapour can burn your skin, cause lung problems etc.

White spirit is hydrocarbon based. If I remember correctly, it was made to replace turpentine and is supposed to be safer to use, having fewer allergenic compounds. I can't say I am sure it's safer. I don't like white spirit, it dries my skin more than turpentine and does not smell as nice!

Besides, I don't think we use enough of either to cause major problems. It's probably still best to use either in well ventilated areas and wear gloves.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like the fact that turpentine is renewable but mostly I just prefer the smell.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use my homemade furniture polish for my knife handles.

Basic recipe
50ml or 2oz real turpentine
walnut sized lump of beeswax chopped or grated

The wax needs to be melted and the turps warmed up or it will chill and set the wax without mixing. (careful, it's flammable, but if you put the bottle in a pan of hot water and let it sit for a while it'll heat through gently)
Mix the two together until they start to set. I fyou use proper honey scented beeswax the mix smells wonderful :cool:

I usually add a little carnuba wax to increase the shine and a couple of drops of essential oil 'cos I like the smell. Lavender is traditional and lemon is good but I prefer bergamot and cedar wood :D

The wax will thicken up more turps than this but I want the turps to help nourish the wood too, it doesn't all evaporate. White spirits is only fit for cleaning brushes.
You can add linseed oil if you want, I find it stays sticky too long for my patience :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE