tundra 8 tepee

Aug 15, 2007
hi guys
i am concidering buying a tundra 8 tepee from point bar off the internet
have anybody on this site tryed or own one of these so you can give me the low down on them and let me know what you thought of it are they any good ???

any info cheers guys

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Svea,
i've had one for alomst a year now. Overall, i'd say it is a supurb tent. We been camping in it in some pretty intense weather (65-75mph wind, horizontal, driving rain) and suffered nothing more than a couple of small leaks. (i've heard since, that since it is poly cotton, a few exposures to rain should cure this).
There is plenty if space inside, enough for me and the wife to leave the bedding out and still have a fire box, chairs, and storage and still move about (thats with two large dogs aswell).
It can be a bit tricky to pitch the first time as there are no instructions, but it is pretty simple, just pm me when you get it and i'll give you some pointers.
Hope this helps and enjoy it.
Baggins

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm hoping so Spam, I reckon I should have as I was told that the shipment arrives in 10 days then to allow 48 hrs for shipping to me so that is well before Middlewood :D

You'll have to pop in for a cheese and chutney cob ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
hi guys
i am concidering buying a tundra 8 tepee from point bar off the internet
have anybody on this site tryed or own one of these so you can give me the low down on them and let me know what you thought of it are they any good ???

any info cheers guys

Oh yes, well worth a visit. I phoned and got a very favourable deal on the whole set-up, tent, ground-sheet and stove. I even called in to collect it in person.
It is the most expensive tent I've ever owned, and it knocks spots off everything I've had in the past, I wish I'd have had it much earlier.
No connection other than a satisfied customer.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Aug 15, 2007
cheers you lot

thanks for the replys so one getting ordered soon possably end of month pay day

Oh yes, well worth a visit. I phoned and got a very favourable deal on the whole set-up, tent, ground-sheet and stove. I even called in to collect it in person.
It is the most expensive tent I've ever owned, and it knocks spots off everything I've had in the past, I wish I'd have had it much earlier.
No connection other than a satisfied customer.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hey Ogri,

Glad you're pleased with it mate ;)

Hope the "viewing" of ours at the Moot helped.

Hope all is well and best wishes to you and yours.

Phil and Co.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
We have a Tundra 8, stove and ground sheet from the group buy. It has had a lot of use and a LOT of rain this summer.
Some observations...
Weatherproofing definitely helps. Best case is to let it dry completely after a big downpour, and repeat! We had leaks first couple of times, nothing since. One night the rain was so heavy and persistent I was sure we'd get wet, not a drop :)
Get some webbing loops (stronger than eyes) added to each point on the ground sheet. With a taught ground sheet, if you peg the tent loops tight up against the edge, the tent goes up perfectly every time, and the skirt has room to do its work as a weather barrier, particularly if the pitch is not completely flat.
The bit of the ground sheet directly beneath the entrance catches water and muck in bad weather and is superfluous. I intend to remove a section.
The ground sheet is not compatible with the stove. If you want ground cover, on wet grass for example, with the stove, you need smaller ground sheets to go round the stove, or I guess remove a central section of the ground sheet, but that seems overkill?
Agree about the guys. They need a good stretch before pitching first time. They tend to twist. I am gradually replacing mine.
Plenty of room but for heavy family use (we are 5) a tarp for cooking and eating in bad weather is a good idea!
Lots of people like tipis :) They come up and ask about the tent in public camp sites. I tell them if they like the aesthetics of a tipi they must be a bushcrafter and should visit here :D
All in all Bison are excellent value tents that work really well!

Chris

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've been meaning to post this for a while.
I did a bit of groundsheet fiddling the other week as I wanted to use both the sheet and the stove. What I came up with was something like this;-

groundsheet.jpg

...A plastic tarp, big enough to cover the area, cut the corners off, then cut a big "T" up the middle - gaffer tape over all the cut edges to stop anything fraying. The modified groundsheet can then be put into the tent after it has been put up, and importantly - the bits either side of the "T" can be folded under the rest of the groundsheet when using the stove. It means that you can access the stove/middle of the tent with muddy boots on and allows for bare ground under the stove for safety reasons. Thge final dimensions are up to you but SWMBO insisted that enough was left at the sides to prevent the ingress of creepy-crawlies!

What do you think?

Ogri the trog

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The ground sheet is not compatible with the stove. If you want ground cover, on wet grass for example, with the stove, you need smaller ground sheets to go round the stove, or I guess remove a central section of the ground sheet, but that seems overkill?

That's very interesting to hear Chris as I heard that they are fine together.

I will try to find where I saw that. Back in a mo.

Nope - can't find it. I didn't bother with the groundsheet myself. Is this wise?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Well you can use the stove on top of the ground sheet, the sheet gets hot but doesn't burn from normal stove use or anything, the legs keep it clear, but last winter I ended up with holes albeit in a small area because embers do inevitably fall out when re-loading wood and you can't really flick them anywhere, just have to stamp on them! Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I thought about some from of metal barrier on top of the sheet, maybe an option? Or I suppose you could just put up with the holes and get another sheet after a few years or something? Or you could do a mod like Ogri suggests which looks sensible to me and I've been thinking about this sort of thing as well. But I've found a couple of small old tarps pegged out inside the tent but leaving clear earth around the stove door is a very good solution. I do really think some form of groundsheet is a must especially for family camping, and I have really found that pegging out the right sized Bison one helps with pitching, and it's a good quality sheet, but old tarps work too.

Chris

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Yes Matt, Ogri, the folding T shape option in an old tarp looks like a really good solution to me. Think I'll try that.

This probably won't make any sense unless you've played hands on with the stove and flue a bit. But the other fiddly bit is the baffle on top of the flue to protect the canvas. Mine was a bit dodgy - wouldn't stay in place - so I had to modify it by drilling out the top rivets of the spacer flaps and adding additional small diameter bolts and wing nuts. This helps keep it at the right height and with an even gap around the pipe when shoving it through the top. You have to get the bolts to catch on to the mesh flue cover. Also, make sure you file any sharp bits on the mesh flue cover. The one I got was really sharp and I think there is a big risk of nicking the canvas as you put up the flue. I brushed the canvas and this nearly happened first time. I'm not sure the Bison baffle solution is the best it could be and I've been pondering replacing it for a better one if there is one?

Chris

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I intend to get a Tundra 8 within the next few months (would have had it now, but repairs to the roof at home put stop to that plan) and I've wondered about the stove and groundsheet. One option I thought of was using an industrial size baking tray as a base and stand the stove in that? Or, how about making a tray from several folds of tin foil, the laminating would dissipate the heat of hot coals/ash away from the groundsheet and is light enough and tough enough to use again?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Kind of like...

Snip

You mean Ogri?
Yup,
Thats the kiddie!

This probably won't make any sense unless you've played hands on with the stove and flue a bit. But the other fiddly bit is the baffle on top of the flue to protect the canvas. Mine was a bit dodgy - wouldn't stay in place -
Chris

Chris the key to getting around this for me was to install the chimney before you put tension on the pegs around the bottom of the tent, this means that the webbing straps at the top of the tent are able to be parted by the heat-shield without too much stress!

I had 9 in ours the other weekend - was quite cosy I can tell you. To ensure the safety of sleeping bags and feet, I cut 1/4 section out of a wooden pallet to stand the stove on top of. It gave me more hieght at the spark arrestor and kept the stove above sleeping bags - in case of roll-over during the night. I stayed on fire watch for most of the night, handing over to other adults in the early hours, but all was well for kids and us alike. I was trying to convince a friends family that camping was do-able in seasons other than summer - just got to do it in the snow now!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE