tundra 8 tepee

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
the key to getting around this for me was to install the chimney before you put tension on the pegs around the bottom of the tent, this means that the webbing straps at the top of the tent are able to be parted by the heat-shield without too much stress!

Interesting, that might well also help for sure. Think I'll now need to dust off the stove which I haven't used for a few months and have another play in the garden this w/e!! Thanks :) Chris

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Baking tray, tin foil and pallet all good ideas for sure. Modded T ground sheet may be best of all. Lots to think about now it's stove season! :)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I received mine yesterday and tried out the stove (as the instructions say) for 2 hours.

By 'eck, how hot does that get??!!!! I am thinking of getting some kind of fireguard for use in the lavvu. Does anyone use anything to stop coming to close in the night?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Some sort of metal cage like one of those dog cages that come appart, you could use cable ties to connect the sides together and place it around the stove. they do get hot, and as said on here it is advisable to have someone on fire watch if you plan to burn it allnight, I have found that if you stoke it up and place in some big logs then shut all the vents it doesn't get too hot and burns nice and slow, then if you open the door and feed it some air it takes off again, if you get too cold. To be honest if its warm enough for you to fall asleep it will just burn down nice and slow, then in the morning just kick it back up again then get back in your bag until you feel like getting out.

Simon.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Some sort of metal cage like one of those dog cages that come appart, you could use cable ties to connect the sides together and place it around the stove. they do get hot, and as said on here it is advisable to have someone on fire watch if you plan to burn it allnight, I have found that if you stoke it up and place in some big logs then shut all the vents it doesn't get too hot and burns nice and slow, then if you open the door and feed it some air it takes off again, if you get too cold. To be honest if its warm enough for you to fall asleep it will just burn down nice and slow, then in the morning just kick it back up again then get back in your bag until you feel like getting out.

Simon.

Aiye that sounds about right Simon. I did find that the regulator is pretty precise at regulating the burn and once I got the stove up to a good heat then the two hunky logs I placed in there burned for ages.

I suppose experience is the best teacher but I'm thinking about safety.

I managed to let a nice hole burn into the weather skirt on the family tent (thankfully the main skin is flame retardant) at one of the Delamere meets when I left a mossie candle burning outside the tent at what I thought must be a safe distance of at least 12" until my missus came to the group fire to inform me that the tent was on fire! This was a slight over dramatisation at the time but that didn't stop me laughing aloud and declaring 'Great, now we can get a tipi!' - beware the breath of the stag!

Joking aside though it could have been much worse and since I have had a heightened awareness and respect of the hot stuff which increases when considering bringing the hot stuff inside the tent on purpose :eek: .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Maybe a ring of steel around the stove! You could make it from steel rod or aluminium tubing, it wouldn't need to be too thick, and it bolts on around the stove giving a good stand off. It would also be good for hanging socks on to dry if you get the disatance from the stove right! Maybe those ally tent poles that bend might work, you'd just need to manufacture some brackets. Anyway, I see it as a ring around the back and sides, on two levels so that stray feet can't hit the main stove.

You could make it so that it goes down the sides and along the back parralell to the stove itself I suppose!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Are you thinkong about the kids being in there? If you slept on those camp beds you find that they keep you pretty well placed in the middle of them so you tend not to roll arround everywhere.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
OK I've opted for the easy option and have reserved this fella at my local Argos. It looks easily adaptable to enclose the stove on 3 sides and it flat packs down for transportation ;)

I'll pick it up tomorrow and let you know.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Are you thinkong about the kids being in there? If you slept on those camp beds you find that they keep you pretty well placed in the middle of them so you tend not to roll arround everywhere.

I'm thinking better safe than sorry plus this provides a great drying rack - 2 uses ;)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It looks like a good plan, You can also use those tabs on the inside of the tipi by tying a piece of paracord from one side of the tipi to the other for hanging clothes to dry.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Got it and it fits perfect :D. I just need to remove a small section from the top to accommodate the chimney...

From the back...
MLNA0131.jpg

From the front...
MLNA0137.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah, I can imagine the embarressment when you put the stove and fireguard in and there is only room for a mouse! You'll have a happy family there!

What beds do you use Matt? The military folding cots?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Yeah, I can imagine the embarressment when you put the stove and fireguard in and there is only room for a mouse! You'll have a happy family there!

What beds do you use Matt? The military folding cots?

:D

The stove (about the size of a microwave oven) and the guard don't take up much room really although I don't know if my pictures illustrate that very well. The total length is 110cm, height is 69cm and width is about 48cm.

Nat is looking for me buy her one of those luxury double height 'queen' beds and to be honest I don't blame her - nowt wrong with bushing in comfort. I have however suggested that we wait until the lavva is up and see on how much room we have to play with before making any such purchases.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you like, I could sling my two american cots in the car and bring them up for your perusal. They are fantastic beds, I know they are available with a wood and metal frame and canvas bed but I have the all metal frames with nylon bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE