Trying out any new cooking gear this year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chrisinhove

Aug 7, 2013
Sussex
Less luggage capacity on my new motorcycle, so the MKettle and fuel has been replaced with a Soto Amicus stove and a GSI stainless pot, that the stove, gas canister and large fold-a-cup/bowl can nest in - at least 2/3 smaller in total.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nothing special, but new to me. I got a hold of an old little SVEA123 a few months ago. Hvaen't managed to use it in its natural environment yet. :)

One arrived for me a couple of days ago. I’m really looking forward to getting it roaring.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
23561401_10203818674624433_9200607824182286743_n.jpg

I've been playing around with a Clockwork Bottle Jack for roasting meat.

Mesquite has a video of it in action but this is the end result of the first trial.

Bottle-Jacked-Poussin---Phoenix-Rising-S.jpg

I've since made a proper counterweight wheel and roasted a leg of lamb on it.

The video is of its second trial.

The cleaver was needed to give it some weight to slow down the rotation and extend the duration of each winding. As you can see it was still pretty fast but the new weight Gary made is a lot better.

There's going to be another two at the moot :rolleyes: after I and some other folks saw it in action and tasted the end result :)

Reactions: R.Lewis

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It was impressive. So I had to get one. I still need to play around with weight, but I made up an adjustable hanger to make it easy!JPEG_20180616164218_125835916.jpg

Photo from the first test, pre new spring.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve lifted this entire post from RealOutDoors forums, so it might seem a bit disjointed. I’ve just acquired a Svea 123R and have had a great deal of fun scaring myself, the good lady, and the three terriers out of the kitchen. :)

Visited Base Camp in Littlehampton yesterday, to try and get a fuel bottle that actually puts fuel into the stove rather than all over it. This is Base Camp. It’s crazy.

I took an old Vapalux with me, but it needed so many bits I was only offered £25 so managed to push him up to an exchange for the very nice Deitz Air Pilot lamp.

584_FC622-005_A-4_C81-_A055-92_E09_A83_FD17.jpg

CED6_E9_BD-_D50_D-4508-_A2_F6-_FF6_D7367_C132.jpg

60_F6926_E-803_A-48_B2-_A248-77_C6_E5_A104_C8.jpg

CC532_D0_F-49_B2-49_B4-_B155-4_D2_FF91439_E6.jpg

3_B46_CE74-10_EC-4044-9325-8075_D245_DE6_B.jpg

I didn’t take any pics of the petrol and paraffin clothes irons, tiny little tanks on the back of them.

The new lantern is wonderful, comes with a downward reflector and a screw in base device for pole mounting. It’s huge and awesome, I’d recommend it to anyone who likes the wick lamps.

D8260_D5_D-3734-4730-9_C11-9_C9_DB3210510.jpg

73740_B5_A-_F01_D-4984-_B838-_EF12_F3_D16_D37.jpg

Boil test for one pint of water on the Svea. I love this stove, it brings a big grin.

Some advice from the man who runs the place. My vapouriser on the Vapalux has been running a Tilley mantle. He said this overheats the tube and ruins it.

Second. DO NOT USE PANEL WIPE. It’s not the same type of fuel as Coleman and will knacker the stove over time. It’s actually too clean. Recommended over Coleman in financial terms is Aspen Blue, which is the 4 stroke version of the fuel. He says it’s identical. This guy seriously knows his stuff, so take heed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
certainly an Aladdins Den, I remember it when it was a bakery they made an awesome lardy cake.
Did you get a suitable fuel can, I am sure they would have been able to help.
When I am priming mine, I have meths in a cheap hip flask and use a syringe to fill fuel well which seems to work well.
Soon achieve the awesome roar :campfire:
I’ve lifted this entire post from RealOutDoors forums, so it might seem a bit disjointed. I’ve just acquired a Svea 123R and have had a great deal of fun scaring myself, the good lady, and the three terriers out of the kitchen. :)

Visited Base Camp in Littlehampton yesterday, to try and get a fuel bottle that actually puts fuel into the stove rather than all over it. This is Base Camp. It’s crazy.

I took an old Vapalux with me, but it needed so many bits I was only offered £25 so managed to push him up to an exchange for the very nice Deitz Air Pilot lamp.

584_FC622-005_A-4_C81-_A055-92_E09_A83_FD17.jpg

CED6_E9_BD-_D50_D-4508-_A2_F6-_FF6_D7367_C132.jpg

60_F6926_E-803_A-48_B2-_A248-77_C6_E5_A104_C8.jpg

CC532_D0_F-49_B2-49_B4-_B155-4_D2_FF91439_E6.jpg

3_B46_CE74-10_EC-4044-9325-8075_D245_DE6_B.jpg

I didn’t take any pics of the petrol and paraffin clothes irons, tiny little tanks on the back of them.

The new lantern is wonderful, comes with a downward reflector and a screw in base device for pole mounting. It’s huge and awesome, I’d recommend it to anyone who likes the wick lamps.

D8260_D5_D-3734-4730-9_C11-9_C9_DB3210510.jpg

73740_B5_A-_F01_D-4984-_B838-_EF12_F3_D16_D37.jpg

Boil test for one pint of water on the Svea. I love this stove, it brings a big grin.

Some advice from the man who runs the place. My vapouriser on the Vapalux has been running a Tilley mantle. He said this overheats the tube and ruins it.

Second. DO NOT USE PANEL WIPE. It’s not the same type of fuel as Coleman and will knacker the stove over time. It’s actually too clean. Recommended over Coleman in financial terms is Aspen Blue, which is the 4 stroke version of the fuel. He says it’s identical. This guy seriously knows his stuff, so take heed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi
certainly an Aladdins Den, I remember it when it was a bakery they made an awesome lardy cake.
Did you get a suitable fuel can, I am sure they would have been able to help.
When I am priming mine, I have meths in a cheap hip flask and use a syringe to fill fuel well which seems to work well.
Soon achieve the awesome roar :campfire:

The outside of the shop has an old hairdresser sign on it, there’s absolutely no sign of what lies within. It really is an Aladdin’s Den. It’s just utter mad, the husband and wife who run it are both totally into the whole thing.

I reckon it’s a bit like the museum of curiosities that was in Arundel, not something that can last forever, but wondrous while it did.

I didn’t get a bottle. I’ve bought a 0.3 litre Trangia fuel can that will at least get the fuel in the Svea without spill, and old vape juice bottles for priming.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
The outside of the shop has an old hairdresser sign on it, there’s absolutely no sign of what lies within. It really is an Aladdin’s Den. It’s just utter mad, the husband and wife who run it are both totally into the whole thing.

I reckon it’s a bit like the museum of curiosities that was in Arundel, not something that can last forever, but wondrous while it did.

I didn’t get a bottle. I’ve bought a 0.3 litre Trangia fuel can that will at least get the fuel in the Svea without spill, and old vape juice bottles for priming.
Old vaping bottles there's and idea. Museum of Curiosities that brings back memories, years ago when I was working for Gander removals one of the jobs was moving most of the exhibits after it closed to Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor back in the mid 80's. I wonder if they are still there :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Old vaping bottles there's and idea. Museum of Curiosities that brings back memories, years ago when I was working for Gander removals one of the jobs was moving most of the exhibits after it closed to Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor back in the mid 80's. I wonder if they are still there :)

There were some very strange things in that Museum. Formaldehyde preserved two headed piglets, lots of jars of strange oddities. Taxidermy to weird extremes, the kittens tea party, the story of Cock Robin etc all in glass aquarium scenes where you could press a button and the music would play.

I remember a giant leather shoe on one of the ceilings, just a sort of passing piece on the way up the creaking old stairs, but so huge, and so distracted were we, we hardly noticed it.

So some of it went to the Jamaica Inn? Another place I found strange but wondrous as a child. It’s a great shame that the collection, the museum, was broken into parts, It was both disturbing and interesting, what would have been called a freak show. I suppose, despite the owner not being able to make much money on the Arundel street, much of it wouldn’t fit with today’s political correctness nappy application to all humans. Sad, but inevitable.

Some links for those that haven’t a clue what I’m on about. It’s bizarre stuff, and some of you will balk at it, but it is to this day, curious. And amazing for a kid my age to be curious, horrified, overwhelmed.

https://s15.postimg.cc/l41ss39t7/E8016175-_C7_E0-4_D01-9_F8_B-_F4_F749_C76929.jpg

http://numberonelondon.net/2010/12/walter-potters-museum-of-curiosities/

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2010/oct/08/walter-potter-exhibition-museum-everything

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I must add, I’ve gone way off topic yet again. The stove, lantern, petrol powered iron place got me back to thinking of these places that won’t be here for long.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
About starting up a stove. I use liquid alcohol in the same way everyone else does, I guess.

Anyone used alcohol gel? Might be more controllable in terms of its distribution than liquid, assuming it burns hot enough.

My pressure stoves are all in the other place at the moment, or I'd try right now

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
About starting up a stove. I use liquid alcohol in the same way everyone else does, I guess.

Anyone used alcohol gel? Might be more controllable in terms of its distribution than liquid, assuming it burns hot enough.

My pressure stoves are all in the other place at the moment, or I'd try right now

Beachlover has fairly recently acquired an Optimus 8R and I think is using Dragon Fuel gel to prime.

There’s a video on YouTube of a guy using gel on the Svea, it works well, but leaves a residue.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I (stupidly) tried the gel restaurants use on the table top burners years ago in my Trangia burner.

Had to buy a new burner, something happened to the fluff in the wall so it did not soak up the normal fuel ( red ethanol) as well as before.
I remember also it only burned well from the middle hole.

Now when in Norway I tried the Optimus Polaris multifuel burner.
Worked super with alcohols, kerosene, gas and petrol.
Flame hot, burned off patches of the 30 year + old carbon deposits on my Trangia Aluminium pots!

I suspect the flame might damage the aluminium, so I will try to find Titanium pots.

I wanted to try it with diesel fuel, but did not. Fuel might be to thick to work .

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've recently purchased a Trangia UL27 HA set. I've been using it most outings as it's been so dry I daren't use my solo stove.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I had a major failure with Alpkit Jackal. The first burner failed whilst camping on Mull, was replaced and then the replacement failed. Service from Alpkit was great I'm just waiting on a refund/credit note. On the recommendation of others and some research I've bought an MSR Reactor stove. I do little 'cooking' when camping at work just rehydrate or heat a retort meal make a brew etc. It's a pretty fierce burner by all accounts and should be delivered this evening. Apart from that as cooking kit I use Keith Titanium kit as pot/cup.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not on your scale but I like my home made trangia stand
IMG_20180818_190032.jpg
Edit:

I should add that the aluminium is still hard and the hinge is still fine. It cools the burner, or allows the burner to cool, so over all ok

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger stacker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE